• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm Going to Laugh...

Catalyst

It's because if you keep talking about Clausen we'll have you committed and no one wants to understand the points a crazy person makes.

Ha. Just making a point: How are we better off? I said he was awful. Is that crazy to you? Don't miss the point and it will be rather sane.

You have a hate translator?

You are too stupid to comprehend on your own?

It all makes sense now

No, I just don't speak hate fluently, so I'm not familiar with the nuances of it. But please, share some insight from your language and culture being that you eat, breathe, drink, sleep, and poo it. Troll.

No, I just don't speak hate fluently, so I'm not familiar with the nuances of it. But please, share some insight from your language and culture being that you eat, breathe, drink, sleep, and poo it. Troll.

Let's talk football then, without using non-football related characteristics, why should we take Cameron Newton #1 overall?

To try to make this personal is stupid. It is not about being right or sticking it to other Panther fans. If you have character and integrity you find it hard to overlook his character flaws. If you know football, you find it hard to accept the amount of work it will take to make him accurate (52% indoors vs. NOTHING is horrible. Brees hits 65% indoors and has a rush, defensive backs, reads, and visual obstacles). And with all these concerns and more, huggers think they win if we draft him, knowing he has about a 50% chance of succeeding. That is plain old idiocy.

The panther staff gave playbooks to Mallett, Newton, and Gabbert. When they come to Charlotte, their knowledge of the offense (the old offense) will be tested. Rivera said the decision will not be made until the week of the draft.

It seems to me that the media is trying to make Cam a big story because his name has sold papers over the past year. From winning trophies to championships to stolen computers to NCAA investigations to self-proclaimed icon status, they are forcing questions on the Panthers about him. 52% completion rate vs. air. Red flags. Mechanical problems. And many are SO certain that he is the answer and the pick. Wow. Hurney's job is on the line. He will gamble with the pick, be it a trade or taking a QB, but I do not see him or JR giving this guy the keys to the family car. Maybe they will, but if so, it will cost people their jobs eventually.

This what makes people so irritated...this has got to be the most absolutely idiotic post I've ever freaking seen. Your basis of saying Cam won't be a good QB is because of his past issues and his 52% completion rate at the combine??? You sir are a ****** moron!!!!

People complain about Cam "huggers" and "haters" (which is about the gayest thing I've ever witnesses from grown-ass men) and yet we have to listen to the stupid, idiotic, and mindless nonsense that is contained in the post above. This is why people argue so much, bc you can't change anyones opinion (some of which are moronic and unfounded).

I love to debate but when people bring up the same stupid issues over and over there is no reason to even try anymore bc they are so far gone it's crazy. People who love Cam are going to love Cam, people who hate him will hate him...and then there are the sensible people who see a football player and nothing else. If there is anyone like that still on this board let's discuss this thing.

Let's talk football then, without using non-football related characteristics, why should we take Cameron Newton #1 overall?

I think you take Cam Newton at number one overall for several reasons?

1) He has an great arm. I didn't see many of his games until late in the season and I honestly thought that all he did was run. Then I watched several games towards the en of the season and I saw him make some absolutely ridiculous throws (not as impressive as Luck but who is). There was one that he put on the money to the sideline off his back foot that left me pretty impressed.

2) He has tremendous athleticism and poise. These to me go hand in hand bc most of his runs were designed runs. However, when things broke down around him he didn't panic...he escaped pressure and either made a throw or ran for a big play. That's something that rookies need...

3) He is a winner and a hard worker. The second part could be debated but from what I've heard and read he comes o work. He picked up a playbook (albeit an easy one) and ran it to perfection in one year. So well that no one could seemingly stop this offense. Some even said that had he gone to Mississippi St like he wanted they would have been in the national championship. He is the kind of player that makes that possible.

4) he plays the most important position in football. We need a QB, Rivera needs a QB, the only way we can ever sustain success is to have a great QB...Fox never undestood that but Rivera does. Because of this...if we stay at number 1...he HAS to be the pick. Because the number one pick is where you change your franchise...good or bad that's where you take that risk. We have to take a chance on being great!!!

5) The character concerns are unfounded. I honestly believe that if it was as bad as people say that he wouldn't even be in consideration for the top spot. And if he IS selected you can better believe that people with better resources and football minds than ours believe so too.

I think you take Cam Newton at number one overall for several reasons?

1) He has an great arm. I didn't see many of his games until late in the season and I honestly thought that all he did was run. Then I watched several games towards the en of the season and I saw him make some absolutely ridiculous throws (not as impressive as Luck but who is). There was one that he put on the money to the sideline off his back foot that left me pretty impressed.

2) He has tremendous athleticism and poise. These to me go hand in hand bc most of his runs were designed runs. However, when things broke down around him he didn't panic...he escaped pressure and either made a throw or ran for a big play. That's something that rookies need...

3) He is a winner and a hard worker. The second part could be debated but from what I've heard and read he comes o work. He picked up a playbook (albeit an easy one) and ran it to perfection in one year. So well that no one could seemingly stop this offense. Some even said that had he gone to Mississippi St like he wanted they would have been in the national championship. He is the kind of player that makes that possible.

4) he plays the most important position in football. We need a QB, Rivera needs a QB, the only way we can ever sustain success is to have a great QB...Fox never undestood that but Rivera does. Because of this...if we stay at number 1...he HAS to be the pick. Because the number one pick is where you change your franchise...good or bad that's where you take that risk. We have to take a chance on being great!!!

5) The character concerns are unfounded. I honestly believe that if it was as bad as people say that he wouldn't even be in consideration for the top spot. And if he IS selected you can better believe that people with better resources and football minds than ours believe so too.

Those are actual good reaasons. Excellent post. However on #4 I agree to a point. Just because we have the #1 pick doesn't mean we must take a QB. If they decide they can develop him then take him. But taking a QB simply because you have the 1st pick is stupid.

I've discussed them ad nauseam but Cam Haters ignore that and just put anyone and everyone who thought we should pick Cam #1 into a "Cam Fan Boy" box... But, okay, I'll repeat some of the reasons off the top of my head, AGAIN.

1) Our biggest position of need is QB. It's the most important position on ANY team, and it is our weakest. Yes, DT is weak, but those guys performed admirably last year, and last time I checked DTs don't win or lose games by their performance alone. QB does. And being that it is our weakest position, it needs to be addressed, or I expect VERY LITTLE difference in our record next year.

2) There aren't any long-term solutions for QB available in FA. I'm not interested in short-term solutions, we've been taking that route at QB long enough. Look at how many teams are successful with FA QBs. How many of the elite teams have a QB that they didn't draft themselves? It's time to address it... And not with a guy every other team passed on - there was a reason they passed on him.

3) Cam presents the most upside out of all the QB candidates. From what I've seen and read, most analysts agree. He presents the biggest upside and has the most potential out of all the QBs available in this draft. IMO, every #1 pick used on a QB is a huge gamble - it's all risk/reward... So, why not take the guy that could potentially be one of the greats? That's the type of potential I've heard analysts say he has. Even Gil Brandt, who had a hand in getting guys like Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman for the Cowboys has talked about how much he likes Cam. Ryan Mallett is, by many accounts (including my own), the best overall "thrower of the ball" in this draft... But, his lack of mobility concerns me. Also, the drug rumors are scary, but it seems he has done a good job in assuring teams that isn't an issue. Also, Mallett seems to choke in games, whereas Cam seems to perform better in games.

In terms of football specific reasons, outside of personnel reasons - Cam has a huge arm, shows great touch on deep balls (in-game, not so much at the combine), is the most athletic QB in this draft (so he presents a dual threat), and from all reports has seemed to impress the coaching staff with his personality and football acumen - which quelled my only real concerns about his personality.

When I'm hearing comparisons to Roethlisberger (on-field ability that is) by draft analysts, that's what I want - not another defensive player showing how scared our front office is of making a boom/bust move. I don't want our front office to act in the same manner that our team has on the field under Fox - playing not to lose. We have to take a gamble and I hope that this one really pans out, and if it does, we will be set for 10+ years. Another CB or DT gets us what? A better defense that will still get beaten to a pulp because the offense can't stay on the field? Those are my reasons.

OH, and as a SN, I don't EVER remember saying anything about Cam having the potential to "energize" the fanbase or anything of the like... I don't care so much about charisma, I want wins.

Those are actual good reaasons. Excellent post. However on #4 I agree to a point. Just because we have the #1 pick doesn't mean we must take a QB. If they decide they can develop him then take him. But taking a QB simply because you have the 1st pick is stupid.

I agree 100% but getting a great QB (not saying Cam or anyone else will be for sure) is the best way to ensure that you won't be picking number 1 ever again. We could pick Dareus (which I would be happy with) and the defense would improve but I don't think our record would. If we had a QB or got one before the draft I would change my mind but until then we have to assume picking a QB makes the most sense.

I agree 100% but getting a great QB (not saying Cam or anyone else will be for sure) is the best way to ensure that you won't be picking number 1 ever again. We could pick Dareus (which I would be happy with) and the defense would improve but I don't think our record would. If we had a QB or got one before the draft I would change my mind but until then we have to assume picking a QB makes the most sense.

It only makes sense if they think they can develop him. If they don't think any of the QBs would work out, then we don't need to pick one just because we are picking first.

I think your other reasons are valid. I just don't personally believe having the first pick is a reason to take a QB.

Archived