• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

D. Smith Added to Unio-er, NFLPA* Legal Team

mav1234

So the players are filing a motion to add D. Smith to their legal team.

This is important because it allows him to be present during settlement negotiations. Otherwise, he didn't have the authority to be present since the NFLPA* is no longer a union. PFT also reports it could signify a reduced role for Kessler, who is a bit... "abrasive" as they put it. If this is true, it would be a good thing because Kessler is pretty strongly opinionated relating to the antitrust stuff.

From http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/08/players-file-motion-to-add-demaurice-smith-to-legal-team/:

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the players have filed a motion to add Smith as a member of the legal team. ... an obvious purpose in this instance would be to allow Smith to actively be involved in settlement talks without having to worry about the argument that the NFLPA* is still behaving as a union.

My take... Adding your trade association head to your legal team so he can be present at negotiations like he would be if it was a bargaining sessions with a union doesn't strike me as being a particularly compelling case for the union really being decertified.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this was the plan all along, because D. Smith being a lawyer is a real good way to make sure your executive can be on your legal team...

Part of me really hopes this was done so that a deal CAN get done, and that D. Smith is more moderate than some other members of his legal team.

Hidden

I'll be honest: Adding your trade association head to your legal team so he can be present at negotiations like he would be if it was a bargaining sessions with a union doesn't strike me as being a particularly compelling case for the union really being decertified.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this was the plan all along, because D. Smith being a lawyer is a real good way to make sure your executive can be on your legal team...

Part of me really hopes this was done so that a deal CAN get done, and that D. Smith is more moderate than some other members of his legal team.

PFT also reports it could signify a reduced role for Kessler, who is a bit... "abrasive" as they put it. If this is true, it would be a good thing because Kessler is pretty strongly opinionated relating to the antitrust stuff.

This is making news out of nothing. More likely, the addition of Smith simply makes sense if the sides are going to enter mediation for a settlement.

This is making news out of nothing. More likely, the addition of Smith simply makes sense if the sides are going to enter mediation for a settlement.

Speculation both ways, no one really knows what to expect from the NFLPA.

Archived