• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gruden sold on Newton's potential

teeray

Why not :p

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/apr/08/090102/gruden-sold-on-newtons-potential/sports-bucs/

TAMPA – - The Carolina Panthers are on the NFL draft clock and as far as Jon Gruden is concerned, the suspense is over.

"I think Cam Newton's the best player in the country,'' the former coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers said Friday afternoon after leading the former Auburn quarterback through passing drills at the University of South Florida. "I agree with the Heisman Trophy people that gave him the award. He's got everything I'm looking for.''

The rest is just a bunch of Cam quotes. :lol:

I respect Gruden as an analyst and former coach, but I've never understood why he is viewed as a QB guru. In 14 years, as a OC/HC he never developed a single good QB. He got some good seasons out of a few veteran guys, but that's it.

Here is his QB history...

Eagles OC (95-97)

1995 - Rodney Peete

1996-97 - Ty Detmer

Oakland HC (98-01)

1998 - Donald Hollas/Jeff George

1999-01 - Rich Gannon

Tampa Bay HC (02-08)

2002-03 - Brad Johnson

2004 - Brad Johnson/Brian Griese

2005 - Chris Simms/Brian Griese

2006 - Bruce Gradkowski

2007 - Jeff Garcia/Luke McCown

2008 - Jeff Garcia/Brian Griese

I like Gruden a lot better than most other analysts, but I trust his opinion on QBs about as much as I trust Fox's.

As a coach, Gruden fell in love, and then out of love, with QB's several times a year. He was always looking for someone just a little bit better than the last guy.

As an analyst, he seems a bit more focused. Let's hope he is right this time if Newton is the selection on the 28th.

Cam haters will discredit any analyst that has anything good to say about Cam. :lol:

I've been saying the same thing ever since he started doing his QB shows on ESPN. They hold him up as some sort of QB-judging god. When, in reality, he has shown little to no ability to accurately assess QB prospects.

I'm not saying that Cam will not be a good QB, I think he can be. I was just pointing out his history because, I knew some people would hold up Gruden's endorsement of Cam as canon.

BTW, he also loved teh Pickles coming out of college. :eek:

Gruden turned journeyman qb gannon, into one of the best passers in the league.

That's a great development of a player.

Nice post though.

So John Fox, in 9 years as a HC, got 5 good years out of a veteran QB with almost zero starting experience. John Fox = poo with QBs

But Gruden, in 14 years as OC/HC, got 3 slightly better years out of a much more seasoned veteran QB with extensive starting experience. Jon Gruden = QB genius.

No, you're right, Gruden is sooo much better than Fox at judging/evaluating QBs :sosp:

Nice post though.

Archived