• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucky Brooks: Carolina building for Newton

unicar15

Reminds me of the time I took the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Nice. :lol:

...and Brooks would know, he's a former Panthers scout and I'm sure he's still got contacts within the organization.

That was a long time ago (way early, if I remember right). I think about everyone he might have worked with is probably gone.

He may be right here, but I don't agree they're "looking for sizzle". Hurney himself has said hype and excitement don't factor.

Like I said, we're not going to shove Cam into a system and tell him to learn it. They're going to take the base system Chud runs and adapt it to best fit what Cam does best. Saying Cam's not the same as Rivers is pointless; he doesn't have to be. Our version of that offense could potentially be quite different from what SD runs, even if the basics are the same.

I like how you substitute the word "adapt" for "dumbing down"

That was a long time ago (way early, if I remember right). I think about everyone he might have worked with is probably gone.

He may be right here, but I don't agree they're "looking for sizzle". Hurney himself has said hype and excitement don't factor.

I don't trust anything hurney says. He speaks one thing and does another.

I don't trust anything hurney says. He speaks one thing and does another.

I trust that statement from Hurney, because it makes perfect sense and is consistent with stuff that's been said before.

If they draft Newton, it will be because they believe he is legitimately the best player, not because they want to sell tickets.

If they draft someone else, same deal.

I like how you substitute the word "adapt" for "dumbing down"

Use whatever words you want, but there is not a QB on the current roster or in this draft who is gonna learn a 900 page playbook this season, nor will there be one in the next draft.

...and if that's the case the knock on him not being able to learn it should cease.

Yes and no.

They will be asked to learn the system, learn it well and learn it quickly. That's why they gave them the "playbook quiz" to gauge their capacity in that area.

If they think any of the prospects will have trouble doing that, then yes they will knock them down the board.

What's incorrect is the notion that any QB will be asked to learn all 900 pages at once.

Hurney picked Clausen and found Moore. Last year, after Moore had a QB rating of 98 something the year before, he dropped to 52 something. Clausen came in prematurely, and posted a 58 something. 2 other qbs struggled in our system. Hurney is no fool. He realizes that Cam has bust potential written all over one side and solid developmental prospect with high upside on the other. He is not a gambler, however, and will not start being one on the 28th.

He knows these stats:

Josh Freeman's rookie yr

54.5 percent comp....10td....18ints....rating 59.8

Eli Manning rookie year

48.2%, 6tds, 9int, 55.4rating

Also questioned about leadership

Clausen ..52.5 ... 3 .... 9 ... 33 ... 58.4

Clausen's final 2010 game as a Panther: 19 of 33 192 yards and 1 TD

I do not care about my opinion or your judgments of Clausen--the smart man will make the smart choice and do what is best for the Panthers in the long run. I, you, or even Hurney do not know how good Cam will be, but they know what they have and how it tends to develop.

Can someone explain to me what offense they have built for Cam? Last I checked, we still have the same scrubs + Shockey

You're using the word "scrubs" pretty loosely there. I wouldn't call Jordan Gross, Ryan Kalil, Travelle Wharton, Jonathan Steward, Steve Smith or DeAngelo Williams, scrubs. I also believe that Gettis and LaFell made a lot of progress as the season went on last year, plus we have Shockey now at TE.

This team does have some talent, despite what some of the talking heads say. They just need to shore up the RG position and get Otah's big ass back on the field, and the offense will be pretty good with some decent QB play.

The defense wasn't nearly as bad as some have claimed either. Their main problem was that they were on the field too much, and the offense consistently put them in crappy situations, by going 3 and out and turning the ball over way too much, which put them on a short field.

The ST's units are not without blame either. I'm hoping the Panthers can make a big jump in that phase of the game.

Archived