• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got Some More Info Tonight

Looks like my source was correct about us having faith in Rivera and taking a chance on character guys such as Hogan. With that said I talked to him last night and was told our main target when free agency comes around is Barry Cofield.

I believe Cofield was coached by one of our coaches, maybe Washington, at Northwestern. With the pick of Marvin Austin yesterday it is extremely unlikely he will be going back to the Giants.

Also was told Davis, Williams, and Johnson will be back you can bet on that. They want to bring back Anderson but will not get into a bidding war with anyone for his services. Also there is a better chance toda then there was a few days ago Marshall willl be back. They do not think Hogan will be able to step in and start right away and they do not want Munnerlyn starting. They will take a long look at CBs on the free agent market.

Finally do not expect any big name veteran QBs to be brought in. Hurney still thinks that Clausen can be a good QB in this league and Rivera wants Newton to start from day 1. They will give both as many snaps as possible to compete in pre-season for Newton to get experience and Jimmy to bring up his trade value. Do not be surprised if Matt Moore is brought back and the names Jim Sorgi and Todd Collins were brought up to me. Dont expect Derek Anderson, Hasselbeck, Bulger, or anyone like that.

They went into the draft with the plan to get a starting CB and sign a Keydrick Vincent type guard in free agency, but now look for the opposite to happen.

Finally they would not have taken Ellis over McClain if the situation came up, but they really liked Johnny Patrick CB of Louisville who was taken by the Saints.

After Rudolph and the kid from Virginia were taken they had not interest in trading up into the second round. They really had a high grade McClain and were not going to trade up for another DT. Never considered a TE after Rudolph was taken.

Once again believe me if you'd like, if not do not waste my time and call me a liar just move on.

everything i wrote on this board i was told i could share. he told me some other stuff to hold back on. he told me early that rivera would be the coach and that was something i could not share.

this is going to be a boring offseason with the lockout so i will do my best to try and get as much information as possible out of him. i love the panthers and know there is no better place to talk panthers football than on this board.

None of that's especially farfetched.

Washington coached Barry Cofield and Luis Castillo in college.

The Newton starting early thing goes against what Rivera's said in prior interviews.

He wants to take as much pressure off Newton as possible. Like he said he does not want everyone to look at him as the savior. Rivera believes our O-Line and RBs are the strongest parts of this team. He was worried about offensive line depth but should be good after today. A good running game plus a good offensive line and an aggressive defense is a good forumula for a rookie QB. There looking at the Jets and Ravens blue print.

The only thing I can say about Smith is don't start jumping off buildings yet.

Todd Collins would be a natural candidate since he has Coryell experience. But he was never really that great (one really good season to hang his hat on is about it) and looked all but awful the last few times he was in a game.

I'd rather have Moore.

. he told me early that rivera would be the coach and that was something i could not share.

this is going to be a boring offseason with the lockout so i will do my best to try and get as much information as possible out of him. i love the panthers and know there is no better place to talk panthers football than on this board.

perfect

Todd Collins would be a natural candidate since he has Coryell experience. But he was never really that great (one really good season to hang his hat on is about it) and looked all but awful the last few times he was in a game.

Some players reach a point in their career when they're far superior teachers/mentors than they are players.

They reach that point where their body can't physically keep up with what they are thinking, and Todd Collins could be one of those players. His Coryell experience could help Newton out a lot.

Archived