• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

could Baker and Meeks motivate Pep if he stays?

PhillyB

Truth be told I don't have too much experience with Brian Baker's motivational abilities as a DL coach. Meeks, as we all know, is particularly good at playing a player's individual strengths into the coordination, and getting the most out of a player.

Faced with the possibility (a strong one, at that) of Julius Peppers actually remaining a Panther, does Baker and/or Meeks have the coaching ability to get Peppers to cough up some effort, especially when he's clearly not wanting to play here?

Meeks is known as a "players coach" so if Meeks can't reach Peppers than nobody can. With that said, Meeks has the success of both Freeney and Mathis on his resume as well, so he definatley knows how to get the most out of talented DE's. I'm not worried about Peppers dogging it if he stays, he needs to keep his FA value high so he can get out after this coming season if that's what he truely wants.

I don't get the whole "he takes plays off" thing, I think that sometimes when it looks like he's taking a play off, he's actually getting beat. The OT's in this league get paid pretty well too, and you don't get 14.5 sacks and go to the pro-bowl (for the 4th time) by taking plays off.

Hopefully the game plans and scheme's will be enough to motivate him. Talk to him to find out what it is that he thinks will make him better. And then figure out a way to make some or all of that part of the scheme. If they all work together it could be something special. But, in the end it is up to Julius.

Meeks is known as a "players coach" so if Meeks can't reach Peppers than nobody can. With that said, Meeks has the success of both Freeney and Mathis on his resume as well, so he definatley knows how to get the most out of talented DE's. I'm not worried about Peppers dogging it if he stays, he needs to keep his FA value high so he can get out after this coming season if that's what he truely wants.

don't forget Bob Sanders. I know he isn't on the line, but still. I look forward to seeing all our Defense taking their game to the highest level.

I don't get the whole "he takes plays off" thing, I think that sometimes when it looks like he's taking a play off, he's actually getting beat. The OT's in this league get paid pretty well too, and you don't get 14.5 sacks and go to the pro-bowl (for the 4th time) by taking plays off.

He gets stoned at the line too many times and then seems to give up. IMO he just doesn't seem to consistently be getting close to the QB as much as say a Jared Allen or John Abraham do. I think with his athletic ability, Peppers could and should get close to twice that many sacks a season.

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

all the best motivational speakers are worthless unless they have someone with an open mind.

peppers mind is closed. that is the saddest state of being for anyone. he won't/can't grow/be motivated because he refuses to.

he was getting beat by rookies and 2nd and 3rd stringers consistently, then.

either he was taking it easy or was getting manhandled by guys that should have been pushovers.

knowing how talented and strong peppers is there is no reason that these guys should have been keeping peppers from getting to the QB. when he wants to there isn't a LT in the league that he can't abuse. the want to is the only problem.

if he didn't take it easy he could have had 30+ sacks.

btw....pro-bowl means nothing. it has very little to do with talent but everything to do with your popularity. the fact that he has gone 4 times doesn't mean anything except he can ask for a lot more money.

Archived