• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Player-organized workouts

LiQuiD

This lockout is NOT ending anytime soon.

The players have made it very clear that they have no intentions of negotiating a new deal. They are playing this out to the end in the court system....and we all know that this will not be quick.

I won't be surprised if it drags on. I won't be happy if it does.

I will spend all my energy on college football this fall it seems. This isn't great for the NFL if it drags on. It will piss a lot of the fan base off - give people another reason to jump ship and find another sport to support. I will certainly have second thoughts of spending another dime on anything NFL as this continues to drag on. I can certainly find other things to spend my hard earned money on.

Could be a great time for a lesser known sport like rugby to build some momentum in this country.

I hope it is closed to the media and public. It will be tough enough for the players to get anything accomplished on their own - don't need a bunch of Huddle knuckle heads down there distracting them even more.

I hope it is closed to the media and public. It will be tough enough for the players to get anything accomplished on their own - don't need a bunch of Huddle knuckle heads down there distracting them even more.

eh....I don't think any of that matters. I mean the Saints let fans have a contest so the winner could workout with them. I bet it is more conditioning and hanging out than anything really playbook related.

really funny looking at tweets from media guys upset that they are being shut out yet again. of course gantt is in on it to, even though he isn't covering the panthers anymore. he's really pissy. well, he's always pissy but it seems like his panties are bunched up even tighter now.

I won't be surprised if it drags on. I won't be happy if it does.

I will spend all my energy on college football this fall it seems. This isn't great for the NFL if it drags on. It will piss a lot of the fan base off - give people another reason to jump ship and find another sport to support. I will certainly have second thoughts of spending another dime on anything NFL as this continues to drag on. I can certainly find other things to spend my hard earned money on.

Could be a great time for a lesser known sport like rugby to build some momentum in this country.

I wish I could find Rugby on TV... hope to make it to Wilmington this year!

all that we really need to know about today's workout...

The first portion of the practice, which was primarily dedicated to cardio training and conditioning work with the focus on building and strengthening core muscles, was run by trainer Cheyenne Pietri and some of his staff from Velocity Sports Performance based in Charlotte. In the days to come, players will participate in some weightlifting on the field, although Gross said nobody will be trying to break any world records.

“We want to make sure guys are in shape, but we don’t want to get anyone injured out here,” Gross said.

The Panthers didn’t run through any plays on Tuesday, even though they have access to the team’s playbook. Some players, including Newton, were given playbooks when the lockout was briefly lifted for a couple days in April. Gross said some copies of that playbook were distributed, but that the players don’t plan on running any scripted plays or "team drills" against a defense.

Tuesday was all about basics.

Quarterbacks threw some passes to receivers and handing off, while almost everybody else worked on conditioning and staying in shape. After the workouts, players spent about 90 minutes meeting in a classroom to go over the playbook.

As much as anything, Gross said, the two-week camp is about developing some camaraderie.

“We’ve had some turnover since January, so it’s good for guys to get together and shake hands and touch base and get on the same page,” Gross said.

http://carolinagrowl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=910:more-than-50-players-participate-in-players-voluntary-workouts-at-charlotte-christian&catid=1:articles

from the same article...why they didn't let the press in and why they aren't dishing out the complete list of who was there/not there:

“We wanted to have it so we could workout without any pressure on who’s there and who isn’t there, or how somebody looked running the ball or what a quarterback’s completion percentage was,” Gross said.

Archived