• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

interview with mcdermott

rayzor

McDermott is a very smart creative coach despite being a ginger. What he brings is an aggressive style of attacking defense much like we had with Del Rio in 2002. I am extremely excited to see that we will be done with the bend until you break defenses we have seen here for years. Yes Fox's defenses were solid but very unimaginative and vanilla. His style was to let teams move down the field not giving up the big play. McDemott's defenses are so aggressive that sometimes the weakness is that they are high reward high risk defenses.

Meeks is best in the secondary and has experience managing aggressive secondaries. His weaknesses were unimaginative line play and difficulty stopping the run.

Enter Ron Rivera who will be able to take what both of them offer and meld them into a solid aggressive unit. This is going to be a case of borrowing from both of them and adding his considerable experience so that sum of the whole will be better than the individual parts.

Our linebacker and secondary players are better than Philly's last year meaning there won't be a need to scale back or play too conservative. If we resign Johnson and add a penetrating DT, we should be a load to handle.

I have said a dozen times on this board over the years that I wanted a Jim Johnson style defense and we are going to have one. The defense is one of the reasons I am optimistic this year. I really think that over the next 2 years we will have a top 10 defense possibly top 5 even given who we play in our division.

I think we are going to surprise folks this year and be in most games based on the defense and running game while the offense gets their act together. We might struggle early while players learn the schemes but this is going to be a defense that will be fun to watch and fun for the players as well. This defense is going to play with some swag which seems to be the theme this year.

Adding Rivera and McDermott were excellent moves by Hurney which are going to pay big dividends for us.

this is going to be a defense that will be fun to watch and fun for the players as well. This defense is going to play with some swag which seems to be the theme this year.

Adding Rivera and McDermott were excellent moves by Hurney which are going to pay big dividends for us.

I am very excited as well and can't wait, however you can't sleep on Ron Meeks defense because his scheme did win a Super Bowl.:seeya:

Archived