• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

interview with mcdermott

rayzor

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Sean-McDermott-Interview/c39dd9ff-7927-4ee1-bc17-bd1e9a3a77e2

only a couple minutes and doesn't go into a whole lot of detail, of course.

still talking about how it's going to be an attack oriented defense wanting to control what the offense does and put pressure on the other teams play caller.

the biggest problem mcdermott had in philly was being undisciplined in his playcalling and scheming. he's innovative, but he lacked focus, imo, and needed someone like jim johnson to macromanage things until he matured. fortunately, hes going to have rivera over him here. rivera's defense should be even better than in san diego...not because he'll have better players (though i doubt there's any real drop off) but because he'll have mcdermott bringing some more innovative scheming to the table.

fwiw, here's an article about mcdermott's dismissal from philly i hadn't read before. pretty interesting.

http://www.csnphilly.com/01/15/11/01/15/11/bDidingerb-Was-McDermott-the-Eagles-fall/landing_insider_didinger.html?blockID=392086&feedID=692

one thing that article does is mention that PFW had him as the top defensive coordinator in 2009. that same poll had meeks as the 32nd ranked DC.

1. Sean McDermott / Eagles — Despite suffering some major injuries at middle linebacker and having to get by with long-in-the-tooth Jeremiah Trotter, the Eagles' defense has remained very formidable. SCOUT'S TAKE: "(McDermott) is a rising star, now. I think a lot of people expected the Eagles to fall off after (former defensive coordinator) Jimmy Johnson passed away, but this kid clearly paid attention. He was with Jimmy 10 years, sitting at the corner of the table eating crumbs and absorbing it all. In some ways — with how creatively he finds ways to bring pressure — I think he might be better than (Johnson). He's got a great feel (for play-calling)."

32. Ron Meeks / Panthers — Meeks was let go by Jim Caldwell in Indianapolis, and his simple approach forced head coach John Fox to become more involved in the defense and find ways to take advantage of Julius Peppers and a ball-hawking secondary. SCOUT'S TAKE: "He's not a proven commodity as a defensive coordinator. John Fox made some bad choices adding to his staff and has ended up having to overcoach himself. The run defense was a problem for Meeks when he was in Indy — it was too vanilla — and little has changed (since he arrived) in Carolina."

I think Sean McDermott was a steal. He learned from the best and IMO was a scapegoat in Philly. He knows how to run a mean D.....and then in 2010 injury/lack of talent allowed them to use him as someone to point a finger at.

I think we just landed two great defensive coaches in him and Rivera. Very excited.

Archived