• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap Space?

jramsey4

Frankly, I cannot believe that we are knocking on the door and we did not grab a solid CB or DT. Josh Wilson CB and Mebane DT would have been perfect. According to the contracts they signed, we could have had them for $10 million per year--for BOTH.

The one thing that I hate about the NFL cap structure is that it's almost impossible to track unless you're a lawyer or have an infinite amount of time to dedicate to accuracy. With other sports, it's a hell of a lot more streamline. There are so many inane details to consider in football.

Regardless, there aren't a ton of holes left in this team in my estimation. We did a hell of a job bringing in a lot of talent to cover up a few other areas of need. For example, adding some strong safety depth is going to help out the weakness in the CB situation. Keeping our LB depth is going to help out in coverage too. You can't be star infused at every position and stay that way forever. You kind of have to rotate no name players in and out of your lineup until they prove themselves and then allow them to go elsewhere if you want to keep a strong unit. The sad truth is that in a cap world you can't pay everybody. You have to identify the lynchpins of the unit, secure them, and move forward with them. I think we did that on both sides of the ball. Locking up Beason, Anderson, and Johnson to big deals was huge for the defense. Beason and Johnson are the two leaders on our defense now we can't lose. On offense, we picked up a really strong and emerging TE that should provide a great comfort to our QB and kept the running game together. That limited the weakness at WR.

I just can't help but be excited that we're building the right way by allowing young players the opportunity to play big roles on their first contract while they're cheap to maintain. Our secondary will consist of players almost entirely on their first contract but will be fairly proven already like Godfrey and Martin.

with the emphasis being on the cash max rather than the cap max, the whole thing is supposed to be a lot more straight forward than before. still is going to be hard to keep up with.

The one thing that I hate about the NFL cap structure is that it's almost impossible to track unless you're a lawyer or have an infinite amount of time to dedicate to accuracy. With other sports, it's a hell of a lot more streamline. There are so many inane details to consider in football.

Regardless, there aren't a ton of holes left in this team in my estimation. We did a hell of a job bringing in a lot of talent to cover up a few other areas of need. For example, adding some strong safety depth is going to help out the weakness in the CB situation. Keeping our LB depth is going to help out in coverage too. You can't be star infused at every position and stay that way forever. You kind of have to rotate no name players in and out of your lineup until they prove themselves and then allow them to go elsewhere if you want to keep a strong unit. The sad truth is that in a cap world you can't pay everybody. You have to identify the lynchpins of the unit, secure them, and move forward with them. I think we did that on both sides of the ball. Locking up Beason, Anderson, and Johnson to big deals was huge for the defense. Beason and Johnson are the two leaders on our defense now we can't lose. On offense, we picked up a really strong and emerging TE that should provide a great comfort to our QB and kept the running game together. That limited the weakness at WR.

I just can't help but be excited that we're building the right way by allowing young players the opportunity to play big roles on their first contract while they're cheap to maintain. Our secondary will consist of players almost entirely on their first contract but will be fairly proven already like Godfrey and Martin.

Frankly, I cannot believe that we are knocking on the door and we did not grab a solid CB or DT. Josh Wilson CB and Mebane DT would have been perfect. According to the contracts they signed, we could have had them for $10 million per year--for BOTH.

Just chill out. We have done a lot of good thus far, if anything the front office should have earned some trust (for the most part, I think we did over pay on a few players... 1 specifically)

But there are still LOT's of FA's available and ready to be signed. Be patient.

And this isn't like Madden where you just pick a player, say his name and go get him. Players have places they want to go... we have coaches who have to evaluate rather the player fits into the system, review their scouting report on the player, look at numbers, compete with 31 other teams ect.

Archived