• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would it take?

twylyght

Clausen had 7 pass attempts.

He had 3 drives that resulted in a 3 and out (2 clearly aided in that by his poor pocket play)

He had a pick 6 on another.

i realize Clausen was horrific so improvement from horrific to bad should be easy.....but in that TINY window we saw him with so much bad mixed into it.....how are people claiming clearly improvement?!?!?!

If LaFell doesn't step out of bounds with NOBODY around him who knows where one of those three and out drives gets to. Say it went for a FG, that's 10 points in 4 drives which is pretty damn good.

I maintain that he's going to be a solid pro QB, possibly a very good one in the right system.

Sadly that won't be here 'cos everyone and their mother is infatuated with Newton.

Clausen had 7 pass attempts.

He had 3 drives that resulted in a 3 and out (2 clearly aided in that by his poor pocket play)

He had a pick 6 on another.

i realize Clausen was horrific so improvement from horrific to bad should be easy.....but in that TINY window we saw him with so much bad mixed into it.....how are people claiming clearly improvement?!?!?!

he threw a TD that was longer than 5 yards, that's how.

If LaFell doesn't step out of bounds with NOBODY around him who knows where one of those three and out drives gets to. Say it went for a FG, that's 10 points in 4 drives which is pretty damn good.

I maintain that he's going to be a solid pro QB, possibly a very good one in the right system.

Sadly that won't be here 'cos everyone and their mother is infatuated with Newton.

If LaFell hadn't of stepped out of bounds....it still doesn't take away the high number of bad plays from him in that very small window. LaFell catching the ball also doesn't mean Jimmy wouldn't of game in directly after it and continued w/ poor play mixed in.

I don't disagree with your 2nd thought....but this ain't the system.

also if we are playing ifs.....there are way more plays on Cam's side you could say IF this went differently........

One of the main premises of our modified "air coryelle" offense is to stretch the field or so I have read. Jimmy hasn't shown that he the desire or arm strength to do so. If he starts stretching the field and minimizing turnovers I have no problem with him being the QB. I am still jaded from last years performance but if he can turn it around I think it puts us in better shape as a franchise. However I hope everyone here can accept the fact that unless Jimmy plays like Peyton Manning(before injury), then Cam is going to be the starting QB sooner or later. Short of a Jamaracus Russell 3 year stretch or dramatic injury Cam Newton is essentially our franchise QB. Learn to love him.

He has less than one season, a rookie season, under his belt. The book is far from closed.

outlandish claims about his "limitations" and "inability" to do this or that are a bit premature

I don't think they are premature....

Clausen flat out lacks what NFL teams claim they look for in a starting QB. From a physical tools aspect.

I can't think of any rookie in a good or bad scenario.....that ended up being worth a poot that didnt' show a little something when given the heavy reps Clausen got as a rookie. Even ones not worth a poot showed more glimpses than Clausen.

if it looks like a duck, walks like duck and sounds like duck......it is probably a duck. Not sure why some insist Clausen still has swan potential in Carolina (not w/ the OC they brought in).

One of the main premises of our modified "air coryelle" offense is to stretch the field or so I have read. Jimmy hasn't shown that he the desire or arm strength to do so. If he starts stretching the field and minimizing turnovers I have no problem with him being the QB. I am still jaded from last years performance but if he can turn it around I think it puts us in better shape as a franchise. However I hope everyone here can accept the fact that unless Jimmy plays like Peyton Manning(before injury), then Cam is going to be the starting QB sooner or later. Short of a Jamaracus Russell 3 year stretch or dramatic injury Cam Newton is essentially our franchise QB. Learn to love him.

Jimmy's throws last week were long enough to stretch the field as much as this offense needs... but you are right about Cam being the future.

Last year shouldn't be, and won't be, why Newton starts over Clausen, if he does.

The future will be.

Let's wait until both guys have had a bit more of an equal competition before we really try to compare them much though.

If Clausen is overall near the same QB as last year.....that will be why Newton doesn't get anytime to sit and will start right away.

Archived