• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cutler should be a legit thought...

DelhommesTheMan

Eli has a ring though, Rivers does not

I agree. The same can be said for David Tyree and Steve Smith......which would you rather have on your squad?

It's not all about the ring when you are talking about QB's in their 5 season of starting.

I totally agree with the Vick/Brees ability deal, and LDT as you call him is, and has been a stud in this league for 8 years. Although he didn't have a great year for him, he still rushed for over 1K and had 12 TD's which most rb's dream of. SD did develop a huge fanbase because of him. That is very true.

My arguement to that would be. Who is still helping the Bolts try to win a SB?

Rivers is still there, and playing better than Brees ever did as a Charger, and Merriman has at least 3 more seasons playing in the powder blues before they will be forced to draw up another contract or let him walk. Kaeding is a very good kicker, and will probably play for them for at least 10 more years.

Brees was able to walk, with no compensation, so that is the one big drawback to the 2001 trade, but I can totally understand your position.

Give it two more years, and we will be able to truly see which one is/was the best trade.

At the end of the day that is two HUGE trades for one team in the past 8 years...I am jealous to be honest.

Yes LdT had a pretty good season for most other RBs...but it was clear that he wasn't what he normally has been. Early on, I think it was due to his toe (which is part of why I wasn't that impressed that Carolina's defense so-called "stopped" him). But..in all honesty I do think they were correct to redo his contract and he was smart to take it. Perhaps he looked at the Shaun Alexander situation and realized that was the best thing he could do. He is revered in SD, being on the downside of his career as I believe he is...and in a new city that would expect HUGE results for what would likely be a bigger contract? Not so much. I also think AJ Smith acted like a fugtard when he sniped at LdT in the press and Butler is probably rolling in his grave.

I don't blame SD for letting Brees walk after 2005 because he was hurt. I know Brees played under the FT on 2005 his last season there and got hurt in that last game...wonder if Smith would have tried to franchise and trade him if he hadn't got hurt? Certainly I don't think they would have let Rivers ride the bench ANOTHER year, but you never know.

Merriman has been somewhat iffy of late...they gave his backup a HUGE contract even before Merriman got hurt IIRC. I don't think they expect to keep him for a second contract. Honestly, I have never watched a game of Merriman's that I can recall that impressed me that much, though I know he is a good pass rusher. And my not being that impressed could be because I have watched maybe 12 Chargers games or something with Merriman on the field for them.

I agree that the team should look at trading for Cutler but I'm not convienced that we should give up that much for him. Cutler is a very good QB but also has some bad qualities as well. And I know that he now has his diabets under control but with that condition, how is that going to effect his ability to play in the NFL at a high level for 10+ years which is what you would want from a young frinchise type QB.

And while Moore doesn't have the experience that Cutler has, its not like the cuppard is bare in Carolina.

I just have no idea where to even begin when talking about trading for Cutler. I mean they aren't going to even consider trading him unless they get a legit QB option in return or a high first round pick (if they like Sanchez or Stafford). I highly doubt they would even consider trading Cutler straight up for Peppers.

And on our end...It would be a huge risk for locker room chemistry (a lot of the guys love Jake) as well as nobody knows if Cutler is mentally tough enough to grit it out...Does anyone remember him playing us last year?? His body language was terrible. I actually remember telling my dad that I would take Jake in a heartbeat over Cutler because Jake always wants to win so badly. Maybe I was just caught up in the momentum of the game but Cutler just looked like a lifeless rag doll back there, confused and with no clue as to what to do.

Its hard to ignore his potential to be great tho..He has a cannon, makes good decisions most of the time, and already has a pro bowl under his belt. Would be nice to slip him in there to compete for this season and at the very least have an incredible replacement for Delhomme in the 2010 season.

Did someone seriously just call the Steeler's one hit wonders, when they have won 2 of the last 4 SB's?

Both with the same QB.............

lol............

Oh yea Fuzz, the Giants are consistent playoff contenders(and they have the ring), so not too sure what you really are trying to say...........

Giants>SD......it's not even close.

Giants recent playoff appearances- 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

SD recent playoff appearances- 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008

But who won the Ring?

Rings mean very little in the long run. This is a TEAM game. Is Dilfer better than Marino? I mean he has a ring right. Yes I know that it's a bit of smartassery for me to make that comment but it's true. Eli is a good QB, but Rivers is better. Period.

As a side note, we swapped picks with Seattle in the second round, for their 4th round pick.

They got Lofa Tatupu, we got Eric Shelton and Stephan Lefors. :(

Thank you for that :)

But I do believe SD got the best of that deal, even if Eli has the ring, that just means he was surrounded by a better team. I think Rivers is a better quarterback than Manning, his numbers reflect that. Plus Kaeding and Merriman. Come on.

I agree. The same can be said for David Tyree and Steve Smith......which would you rather have on your squad?

It's not all about the ring when you are talking about QB's in their 5 season of starting.

Easy with that logic stuff....people are not just ready to accept it just yet

Something else to consider is that Manning started before Rivers, so Rivers had one extra year to sit and learn the game.

Manning was thrown out there his second year, so naturally his numbers are likely going to be worse because he was learning on the job when Rivers was riding the pine.

Rings mean very little in the long run. This is a TEAM game. Is Dilfer better than Marino? I mean he has a ring right. Yes I know that it's a bit of smartassery for me to make that comment but it's true. Eli is a good QB, but Rivers is better. Period.

Yeah you can't judge QBs purely by rings. I think it is a big part of it because a lot of the time it proves how clutch they are in big time situations but it takes a team to win. You could have put any number of QBs in this league behind center for the Steelers and they probably still win the SB because their defense was just that good this year (same with the 2000 Ravens).

Rivers had a 92 passer rating, an 82 passer rating, then a 105 passer rating in his only years as a starter.

Mannings best PR ever was an 86 this past year. Even in his SB year people were questioning how good he was and if he was truly a franchise QB. Nobody has EVER questioned Rivers as a starter in this league...

This past year Rivers threw 34 TDs, 11 INTs, 4000 yards on 478 attempts.

Manning threw for 21 TDs, 10 INTs, and 3200 yards on...479 attempts.

More TDs, More Yards, virtually the same amount of picks on the same amount of attempts...

Yes LdT had a pretty good season for most other RBs...but it was clear that he wasn't what he normally has been. Early on, I think it was due to his toe (which is part of why I wasn't that impressed that Carolina's defense so-called "stopped" him). But..in all honesty I do think they were correct to redo his contract and he was smart to take it. Perhaps he looked at the Shaun Alexander situation and realized that was the best thing he could do. He is revered in SD, being on the downside of his career as I believe he is...and in a new city that would expect HUGE results for what would likely be a bigger contract? Not so much. I also think AJ Smith acted like a fugtard when he sniped at LdT in the press and Butler is probably rolling in his grave.

I don't blame SD for letting Brees walk after 2005 because he was hurt. I know Brees played under the FT on 2005 his last season there and got hurt in that last game...wonder if Smith would have tried to franchise and trade him if he hadn't got hurt? Certainly I don't think they would have let Rivers ride the bench ANOTHER year, but you never know.

Merriman has been somewhat iffy of late...they gave his backup a HUGE contract even before Merriman got hurt IIRC. I don't think they expect to keep him for a second contract. Honestly, I have never watched a game of Merriman's that I can recall that impressed me that much, though I know he is a good pass rusher. And my not being that impressed could be because I have watched maybe 12 Chargers games or something with Merriman on the field for them.

I am a pretty big Charger fan, probably as you can tell.

They still gave LT wayyy too much IMO. I know it was for the fanbase, but still too much for a 30 yr old rb.....just my opinion. LT made the right choice, to stay where he is a god to the fans...however the Chargers can cut him after this season, or trade him with very little owed money, if he cannot perform. The contract protects the Bolts after this upcoming year. This was also a good PR move to prepare the fans for his departure if he does not play well. IMO

Brees was offered a very good contract by the FO, but wanted more gauranteed money, good choice by Brees, no question. Rivers was and is AJ's boy, and I don't think that they had any intention on him sitting for a third year.

Merriman is a fantastic OLB for the 3-4 IMO, he is very good against the run, and excellent against the pass. He can also cover, but more than all of that, he brings fire to all of the players around him....which is extremely important, as evidenced by their lackluster D play this season. His passrush is what put Cromartie in the Pro Bowl 2 seasons ago. I have watched every game the Panthers and the Chargers have played for the past 4 seasons, and i can tell you that he is an absolute beast, better than Ware to me. They may not sign him to another contract, but he%

Well the deal obviously wasn't so much better for the Chargers, that it put them over the top.

I mean the Giants couldn't win a SB with Collins, Warner, and good players like Barber and Strahen. Manning won with practically the same team(or arguable a worse team with less talent), so you couldn't have just inserted random QB in their situation.

Warner obviously just made it to the SB.......and Collins took his team to the Playoffs

Plus Manning actually started 7 games his rookie year, so yes his stats are going to reflect that. Rivers started his first game almost 2 full years after manning did.

Did someone seriously just call the Steeler's one hit wonders, when they have won 2 of the last 4 SB's?

Both with the same QB.............

lol............

Oh yea Fuzz, the Giants are consistent playoff contenders(and they have the ring), so not too sure what you really are trying to say...........

Giants>SD......it's not even close.

Giants recent playoff appearances- 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

SD recent playoff appearances- 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008

I won't argue the fact that the Giants have been to the playoffs many times, I just feel that the Chargers have had better teams than the Giants for the past 3-4 years.

Lets take into effect the teams that the Giants have had to beat to get to the SB as opposed to the teams that SD has had to beat to get there as well. The AFC playoff contenders have been much much stronger than the NFC counterparts for the past 5 years or so.....

Pats, Steelers, Indy, Tenn, SD....ect...

And while the tides seem to be turning to the NFC getting much stronger, I have to wonder if the top 4 NFC teams are as good as the top 4 AFC teams.

Archived