• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

how I feel about newton's performance

Donald LaFell

The skeptical thoughts...

They were blitzing a ton - made it easier to pass on the cardinals already average defense. He took 5 sacks as well.

Keying in on the run game - im sure the cards were determined to not get trampled by the run game again. Made it easier to pass.

Cards defense isn't very good - self explanatory.

The optimistic thoughts...

No matter how crappy the cards defense is they are an NFL defense, so 400 yards is impressive regardless.

All of newton's production came during legit play, not garbage time against a prevent defense.

He looked strong and poised the pocket. I don't think the cards expected him to shred them like he did. They took a big risk with all their blitzing and Newton made them pay like a vet.

this record should not have been broken with a new coaching staff and shortened offseason. That's very impressive.

Newton has lots of weapons. Doesn't hurt.

Final thoughts...

I take his performance as a sign that he will be good someday but not as a sign that we have a legit passing threat this year or that I he's going to light it up the rest of the season. I think the packers could make him look like he did against the beangals. If that sounds too negative it's only because he played so well his first game it seems too good to be true. That just blew my mind. He could have half of his production and people would still be going nuts.

Cam's abiltiy to scramble scared the sh!t out of the Card's coaching staff. So much so that they blitzed like crazy up the middle, no matter the cost. Why so much up the middle? They wanted to create a huge pile of bodies to prevent Cam from scrambling straight forward through a gap and burning them. I'm thrilled that opposing teams are actually scared of Cam and his scrambling ability. Now they can also fear his ability to drop aerial bombs all over the field.

• 7 months later...

It's cool to look back and see how dazed and confused the entire fan base was.

We were all like "is this real life?"

We had so emotionally walled ourselves off in anticipation of disaster it took a while before we'd let ourselves actually believe things were looking up.

Archived