• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another Peppers situation

Murph

In the 2,459 threads about him over the past two months, this may have been mentioned so sorry if it is a repeat.

The Sporting News had an article recently about the lack of outside interest in any of the remaining franchised players who have not signed their tags. They gave many obvious reasons as to why that is the case but brought up one that I found interesting. Teams have until July 15th to go after these players. What would be preventing a team from waiting until after the draft to sign Peppers to an offer sheet? The contract could be for an amount that we could not afford to match or, the more likely scenario, a poison pill is inserted into the contract not allowing us to match. Then we do get the two first round picks in 2010 and 2011 but we are sitting with a gaping hole at DE and only scrub FA's to plug in there.

This might be one of the few situations where Hurney is not holding all the cards.

Provided we can get some DL help in the draft, I don't know that I would feel too worried with Johnson and Brayton as our ends. That's not ideal, I realize, but I think both performed pretty well when asked last year. I expect big things out of Johnson in particular, and I think he realizes that next year is his time to shine.

And I think Meeks will help him do just that.

You do bring up an interesting point though.

peppers is spelled with a small 'p'. He is not a team player. He is a spoiled momma's boy that is in the corner pouting. He is going to hold out to the last second so he can strike as much harm to the franchise that treated him like a king and overpaid him for years. It would not surprise me that NO team picked him up. It would please me to see him get cut and sit at home for a year. Of course, he has a lot of mine and your money in his back pocket so he is not going to be suffering. He will live with his mom and she will wash his clothes and cook his meals. She will probably give him a bottle before he goes to bed too.

In the 2,459 threads about him over the past two months, this may have been mentioned so sorry if it is a repeat.

The Sporting News had an article recently about the lack of outside interest in any of the remaining franchised players who have not signed their tags. They gave many obvious reasons as to why that is the case but brought up one that I found interesting. Teams have until July 15th to go after these players. What would be preventing a team from waiting until after the draft to sign Peppers to an offer sheet? The contract could be for an amount that we could not afford to match or, the more likely scenario, a poison pill is inserted into the contract not allowing us to match. Then we do get the two first round picks in 2010 and 2011 but we are sitting with a gaping hole at DE and only scrub FA's to plug in there.

This might be one of the few situations where Hurney is not holding all the cards.

Actually that scenario doesn't make much sense unless we really wanted to keep Peppers and were refusing to negotiate with other teams. Poison pills are very rarely used since the Seattle/Minny battle with Hutchinson and Burleson in 2006. It is frowned on by the league although still legal.

But if you really want Peppers instead of waiting until July and then surrendering the 2 1sts for 2010 and 2011 and inserting a poison pill, why not negotiate for a 1st and perhaps a 2nd and third close to the draft or even during the draft when Hurney would be more incented to take less than 2 1sts. Honestly I bet Hurney would be fine with 2 firsts whether it started this year or started next year. I really doubt that he wants Peppers at all costs no matter what. And a first rounder while nice this year wouldn't necessarily be used for a DE. Plus how many DEs picked last year started and played well for their teams in 2008? If Peppers goes in July we have roughly the same hole we would have if he leaves in March. From what I can see there are not many if any first round DEs who could come in and would be better than Charles Johnson will be this year. Particularly the further down the first round we would pick.

I think the bottom line is, we probably will lose him and get nothing. That stuff about not wanting to cripple the team might have sounded good at the time, but he and his agent are playing hard ball now and don't care what happens to the team. He's like every other player and is looking out for number 1. Rightfully so.

I think if hurney gets 2 first round picks for peppers he would be dancing in the streets. Peppers is already taking up 17 mill (all 17 apply to the cap btw). How big/outrageous would that contract have to be for the panthers not to be able to match it? If you are negotiating team it would make sense to just negotiate something with the panthers. Get out with a 1st and maybe 3rd/4th. Not like there are any can't miss DE's in the draft this year. I don't see how carolina losses in this.

Archived