• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton leads league in screen passes

savage

interesting stat. i noticed we were implementing way more screens than i've ever seen of this team and its been very effective so far.

"People think of Newton as having a big arm, and he does, but he leads the league with 41 completed screens for a league-high 355 yards."

Those dumpoff passes to Jonathan are so effective. He needs to be our every down guy, he's a better runner, better blocker, and a better pass-catcher.

We need to split carries between our backs so they can have a longer career.

I agree but I think Deangelo is still a good RB he just hasn't got the carries like he used to get with Fox.

I am very disappointed to see that we wont have a 1,000 yard RB this season, I really think that Chud needs to run the ball more often especially when we are ahead, our RBs have great YPC averages so why not run and keep the pressure off of Cam.

We need to split carries between our backs so they can have a longer career.

I agree but I think Deangelo is still a good RB he just hasn't got the carries like he used to get with Fox.

I am very disappointed to see that we wont have a 1,000 yard RB this season, I really think that Chud needs to run the ball more often especially when we are ahead, our RBs have great YPC averages so why not run and keep the pressure off of Cam.

We have been running, the carries have just been split so evenly that no Running Back could ever have crazy stats. It's just such a shame to see Jonathan Stewart in the prime of his football career be so underutilized. He has the pedigree of a true elite back.

It feels like every week our offense is moving in a positive direction. It took some time for everyone, including Newton and Chud to learn the abilities of this team. This offense is moving toward a vertical passing threat offense, but we still have the pieces of a great power running offense. I think Chud's just using variety to play to our strengths and hide our weaknesses like any good offensive coordinator should do.

We have been running, the carries have just been split so evenly that no Running Back could ever have crazy stats. It's just such a shame to see Jonathan Stewart in the prime of his football career be so underutilized. He has the pedigree of a true elite back.

I agree we are running enough, after all, the three headed monster will likely end up with over 2000 combined rushing yards this year. Earlier in the year there may have been times we could have run more, but we seem to have found our groove now.

However, I disagree with you about Stewart. Sure, he's a great back and is running very well, but runners with his style tend to wear out rather quickly, so I believe this rotation will actually benefit his career. Also, DeAngelo is a great back in his own right, but has a completely different style. And though different, I think their styles compliment one another which makes it very difficult on defenses...then you add in Cam, and they become a devastating threesome that is build to be sustainable.

I agree we are running enough, after all, the three headed monster will likely end up with over 2000 combined rushing yards this year. Earlier in the season there may have been times we could have run more, but we seem to have found our groove now.

However, I disagree with you about Stewart. Sure, he's a great back and is running very well, but runners with his style tend to wear out rather quickly, so I believe this rotation will actually benefit his career. Also, DeAngelo is a great back in his own right, but has a completely different style. And though different, I think their styles compliment one another very well which makes it extremely difficult on defenses...then you add in Cam, and they become a devastating threesome that is build to be sustainable.

I agree we are running enough, after all, the three headed monster will likely end up with over 2000 combined rushing yards this year. Earlier in the season there may have been times we could have run more, but we seem to have found our groove now.

However, I disagree with you about Stewart. Sure, he's a great back and is running very well, but runners with his style tend to wear out rather quickly, so I believe this rotation will actually benefit his career. Also, DeAngelo is a great back in his own right, but has a completely different style. And though different, I think their styles compliment one another very well which makes it extremely difficult on defenses...then you add in Cam, and they become a devastating threesome that is build to be sustainable.

Yes, I just don't think it will be sustainable financially. It will be very difficult to pay Jonathan his market value when we gave Deangelo such a large contract. We could have another back filling Deangelo's role while Stewart becomes our primary guy. It would have been much more effective on the dollar with little to any actual dropoff in production. I understand the premise of "paying your players", but not at the expense of losing a guy like Stew who could be truly elite.

I along with just about everyone else thinks that we paid deangelo too much, but he is still very dangerous in the open feild. I hope that we run more of our option plays next year. Make the defense swarm to cam when he is running with the ball, then lateral to deangelo with some open feild in front of him... we should be calling these plays every week IMO.

Continue to use Stewart as the primary back between the tackles, but utilize Deangelo on the open feild plays. I really like that formation when both of our backs are on the feild, and the defense has to guess which one is getting the ball. Chud is a freakin genius, I love him.

If you want plays like this, just remember not to complain when Cam gets crushed everytime we run the option whether he keeps the ball or not. Just like Vick used to whine when he would fake having the ball after a handoff and get laid out. If you pretend to have the ball or just got rid of the ball, your fair game.

Archived