• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quinn Johnson

Woodie

Well, there's been a lot of talk about our need for DE's, DT's, CB's, WR's, and even QB's in the draft. But one position that we tend to neglect (probably because it is not very glamorous) is fullback. But as much as we all love Hoover, he is probably on his last leg, and we need to find his replacement before it is too late.

And one FB that I have found myself really liking is Quinn Johnson...probably in the 4th or 5th round this year. He's a devastating blocker that would fit our power scheme perfectly. He's not a great runner (although he would be good in short yardage situations), and does not have great speed, but in our offense, the FB is rarely asked to carry the ball. Basically, he would give us the same bulldozing lead blocker we have in Hoover, and should be able to transition nicely once Hoov decides to hang it up.

Here's his profile from draftcountdown.com.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/fb/Quinn-Johnson.php

Here are some of the strengths they list for him:

Excellent size and bulk...A dominating lead blocker...Powerful ball carrier...Very physical and aggressive...Terrific special teamer.

good call. in the draft forum panthro gave his mock hopeful picks. i would actually love for quinn to be the 5th round choice (moving parson up and not taking tate) but he may very well be a UDFA in which case we should definitely grab him.

i don't think that he will be drafted since he isn't known for his ball carrying skills. people may be wanting a leron mcclain type of FB. i'd be most happy with a road grading one.

Hoover is in his prime.
well...he's 32.

lorenzo neal is 38...mack strong was 34 when he blocked for SA in his 27 TD year. he could last a few more years. it seems like this past year was his best. it might not be a priority at this point but i don't know if he's in his prime.

i would like for there to be someone on the roster who can do the job if he gets hurt. i would also like to haqve someone learning the ropes from hoover. that is what i want with someone like quinn.

this guy would most likely be a UDFA.

I think he'll go earlier than you might think. While his running skills may not be top notch, his blocking skills are. And for teams that utilize a lead blocker, he would be ideal. It's not every year you see someone coming in that can block like this guy, and against the competition he did. I think the earliest he could go is late four, but more likely he will be a 5th or 6th round pick.

lol @ wasting a draft pick on a FB. C'mon now people...

In this offense, the FB is as almost as valuable as the OL. Just think back to how many times DeAngelo or Stewart talked about Hoover opening the hole and leading the way for a big run. It was a running theme throughout the year. And with Hoover getting close to the end, we need to start thinking about his replacement.

Archived