• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if we acted like Chris Rainey wasn't the only fast RB there is?

Cat'sGrowl

What a novel concept. What if-for just like two minutes-we acted like Chris Rainey wasn't the only versatile offensive player we could possibly select? Weird, right? But let's try it.

Yes, it would seem most of us are in agreeance that the Panthers will look to add a Joker at some point in this draft, should a valid opportunity to presents itself. For those of you who aren't clever enough to see it-let's lay it out for you-the Panthers aren't done trying to improve the offense. Rivera has made the desire for a versatile player on offense who can line up anywhere and be a threat well know. He spoke highly of Darren Sproles prior to both Saint's games, speaking of how impressed he was by him from there days in SD together. He tried to place that kind of role on Mike Goodson early in the season, and Goodson refused to take the mantle and ran his way right into the doghouse. Josh Vaughn was, more than likely, kept because he was a more versatile offensive player than Tyrell Sutton. So know that you are all caught up, let's take a look at versatile skill players who could come in and provide an additional threat on this team.

We'll start with the top dog n this category:

Lamichael James, RB, Oregon.

LaMichael-James.jpg

James is a second round prospect, and, I believe the chances of Carolina trying to convince themselves they could take him and still be fine elsewhere are actually much better than most would believe. The only thing that keeps me from mocking James to Carolina is the abundance of needs elsewhere-it has zero to do with the depth this team has at RB-let's establish this for those of you who haven't been able to understand-we are not searching for a pure RB for the sake of having an extra talented RB-we are trying to add another element to the offense. James' is an explosive player who, while he didn't catch many passes at Oregon, showed that he did have the ability do so-and merely wasn't often asked to. Some feel Oregon has exaggerated his height.

Jeff Demps, RB, Florida

t1_demps.jpg

Demps is the other half of Florida's fastback tandem, and is absolutely incendiary. Like Olympic speed. And, that's just the problem. He literally has Olympic speed. Demps will forego any draft exercises this fall in preparation for the summer Olympics. It's reasonable to assume that after the Olympics Demps will try and find his way back into football-though that is not a given. If he does, the Panthers could look to sign him to a contract and see what his athleticism can bring to the table. That said, it isn't even assured Demps will return to football. Demps also has a history of nagging injuries. Overall, his chances of being a Panther are small, but the overall ability is undeniable.

Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego St.

Ronnie-Hillman.jpg

Let me just be forthright with you and admit that I have not spent a lot of time watching San Diego St. football, if you can bring yourself to believe me. That said, Hillman is a man whose name has creeped up over the net lately and is worth looking into. Some analysts have him pegged as one of the top five backs in this class, and a fourth round pick or so. He's shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and has good speed. His small size (liated at 5'10", 190 on SDS website, but looks to be smaller) means he doesn't project as an every down back, and athleticism makes it seem as if he could make for an excellent Joker.

Doug Martin, RB, Boise St.

doug-martin.jpg

Unfortunately for the Panthers, a weak RB class has pushed Martin up the boards. Martin established himself this year as one of the prospects available in this class at that position, and could be taken anywhere from the second to the fourth depending on how things play out the next few months. Martin's first post-ncaa career audition will come at the Senior Bowl next week. At 5'9" and 215 lbs, Martin has decent size and good speed along with shifty legs to match what the Panthers will be looking for when they try to add a wild card to their offense. Martin also has shown to be good at returning kicks, so while the last Boise player the Panthers acquired didn't do too much to endear himself to fans, Doug Martin is certainly one I would keep an eye on these next few months, as he bears many similarities to Sproles.

I planned on doing some more, but unfortunately something just came up that I have to go take care of. Feel free to add any suggestions, and I hope to add to this list as time progresses.

Rainey's the onlt one that makes sense.

James and Martin is probably a mid second pick, Ronnie Hillman is a 3rd-4th pick.

Maybe Demps in the second, but he's pretty beat up.

Rainey, right now is expected to go in the 5th.

the only thing we need an extra running back for right now is to be a better pass catcher out of the backfield than what we currently have. DeAngelo, for what we're paying him, totaled less than 1,000 yards from scrimmage. Splitting carries is just going to be wasting more money on Williams.

forget spending one of our first two picks on one, and if we can find value in the fourth round at a bigger position of need (e.g., Sean Spence), forget about spending a pick on one until the fifth round

james will be taken much earlier than this team should take him.

get that guy out of your head.

i can promise you that the panthers won't take demps. in fact i can guarantee it and nothing you could say would convince me otherwise.

rainey is the top prospect we should be looking at, but i'd be ok with hillman. i just wish he was a better receiver. pretty sure he and martin will be gone before we should get around to drafting.

this should be something we address very late in the draft, btw.

While I agree the middle rounds are more than likely where a selection like this would come from-It would be foolish to assume they wouldn't make a value pick. Value picks have certianly been a part or this team during the Hurney era, and I certainly don't envision Rivera reaching for need.

If an opportunity arises, I certainly feel confident saying they would be interested.

james will be taken much earlier than this team should take him.

get that guy out of your head.

i can promise you that the panthers won't take demps. in fact i can guarantee it and nothing you could say would convince me otherwise.

rainey is the top prospect we should be looking at, but i'd be ok with hillman. i just wish he was a better receiver. pretty sure he and martin will be gone before we should get around to drafting.

this should be something we address very late in the draft, btw.

You a big fan of picture books?

Archived