• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help Me Out Here (Re: Gettis)

YourManInAmsterdam

So, as I read threads here where our receiver corps comes up, there's always talk about Gettis coming back after his season on IR. There seems to be a lot of interest in him being a major threat and I don't quite understand what that's based on.

I'm not saying it's without good reason. I just haven't seen the information that backs it up.

Here's what I know...

Had some flashes of real potential in 2010 in spite of our quarter back woes. Good size. And that's about it.

So basically, tell me more. What am I missing here?

Had some flashes of real potential in 2010 in spite of our quarter back woes. Good size. And that's about it.

He's a 6-4, 220 and is probably the fastest guy on the team in Pads. (He's been clocked as fast as 4.39 while at Baylor while running track and field) Also he showed quite a bit of flash considering the QB situation and everything that season.

Nice job pretty much rehashing what I'd said previously. The speed part was nice, though. So thanks?

Nice job pretty much rehashing what I'd said previously. The speed part was nice, though. So thanks?

Guys who are 6-4 and 220 pounds that run a 4.39 are rare and not in abundance even in the NFL. He's also got pretty good hands and was improving as a route runner before his injury.

He's got a really rare blend of speed and size. That's the reason for all the expectations with David Gettis.

Another thing to note is that with his under-utilization at baylor, he basically came to us as a blank slate. NFL WRs have such a long transition time because it takes them awhile to learm to rely on technique rather than pure talent to beat thier opponents because everyone has talent in the NFL. With Gettis he showed lots of good technique his rookie year because of his "blank" slate.

There were times where he showed very good route running and hands in '10. Good understanding of the game too, of note was in the SF game his first TD where he ran an absolutely beautiful route and faked the hell out of the CB to the right and cut back in to catch the TD. His physical measurables and what I mentioned above are the reasons people are so high on him. That and the fact he's a Panther.

He was catching TD passes from Jimmy Clausen and Brian St. Pierre. He has speed unlike anybody else on this team. He showed flashes of having better hands than most and his range is ridiculous. If you can't see the obvious promise of a player with these attributes, then nobody on a message board is going to be able to explain to you the value of a big arm quarterback with a WR that can stretch the field the way that Gettis has PROVEN he could do with mediocre QB's.

I think he is the future of the position at WR2 unless he doesn't grasp blocking well enough to work in our offense. Even then, he could post 1,000 yards from 3rd on the depth chart with the way the NFL is trending in regards to 5,000 yards being the new 4,000 yards for QB's.

There were times where he showed very good route running and hands in '10. Good understanding of the game too, of note was in the SF game his first TD where he ran an absolutely beautiful route and faked the hell out of the CB to the right and cut back in to catch the TD. His physical measurables and what I mentioned above are the reasons people are so high on him. That and the fact he's a Panther.

That was Nate Clements that he burned so badly, which is another good sign. Admittedly, he dropped a 4th down pass in the redzone that game that could have tied it up.... but what does he do? Goes out the next drive and grabs the game tying touchdown.

8 catches - 125 yards - 2 TD's that day. With Jimmy Clausen as his QB. That is an All Pro kind of day there. Granted, just one game.... but imagine the possibilities with a real QB.

He was catching TD passes from Moore and Brian St. Pierre. He has speed unlike anybody else on this team. He showed flashes of having better hands than most and his range is ridiculous. If you can't see the obvious promise of a player with these attributes, then nobody on a message board is going to be able to explain to you the value of a big arm quarterback with a WR that can stretch the field the way that Gettis has PROVEN he could do with mediocre QB's.

I think he is the future of the position at WR2 unless he doesn't grasp blocking well enough to work in our offense. Even then, he could post 1,000 yards from 3rd on the depth chart with the way the NFL is trending in regards to 5,000 yards being the new 4,000 yards for QB's.

That was Nate Clements that he burned so badly, which is another good sign. Admittedly, he dropped a 4th down pass in the redzone that game that could have tied it up.... but what does he do? Goes out the next drive and grabs the game tying touchdown.

8 catches - 125 yards - 2 TD's that day. With Moore as his QB. That is an All Pro kind of day there. Granted, just one game.... but imagine the possibilities with a real QB.

Fixed. Clausen didn't have any TDs to Gettis

two good games is generally enough for a fanbase to have 3-4 years worth of "he'll breakout any day now.... just you wait!"

people are still waiting for barnidge to suddenly turn into a pro-bowl TE because he made one catch on a broken coverage in 2009

It's called potential.

He's a 6-4, 220 and is probably the fastest guy on the team in Pads. (He's been clocked as fast as 4.39 while at Baylor while running track and field) Also he showed quite a bit of flash considering the QB situation and everything that season.

I never realized he was so big! I knew he was a track guy at Baylor and he was fast, but I didnt realize he was 6'4"! Question answered right there!

Archived