• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yesterday's Senior Bowl Report

Cat'sGrowl

I was just gonna go ahead and skip yesterday, but with storms on top of us practice has been moved inside and closed to the public today.

I'm afraid I don't have many notes for the South. In short, I'll just say that the Panthers organization was really good to me yesterday, so I just wasn't able to jot down a lot of things.

Here it is:

North:

Posey, Pead, Graham, and Doug Martin were all out returning kicks prior to practice.

Demario Davis was a stud yesterday. I praised him some in another thread yesterday, and will repeat some of those things here. Davis was out an hour or so prior to practice working on drills one on one with Singletary. Big, impressive kid who helped his fellow teammates run those same drills at the start of practice. Takes visible mental reps when not in action. Singletary was constantly praising him, telling other LBs to be more like him. Got done and did push ups after mistake. Davis' stock is going way up this week. I made a mock a week ago or so and had him going to us in the fourth. No chance he's available there.

James Michael Johnson was seemingly most impressive physical specimen out there yesterday, but really had a hard time. Got chewed out by Singletary viciously more than once.

Lavonte David has nice quick feet, but is still very small and made a few notable errors.

McLellin out of Boise St seems awfully big to play LB. Looks more like a DE up close.

Igwenagu out of UMass caught my eye, he is a very athletic looking TE, similar to Vernon Davis at Maryland. Didn't get a lot of opportunities to catch passes. Had decent speed. Would like to see more to get an opinion.

Doug Martin made some great catches out of the backfield and I finally got to watch him closely. Makes catches in stride. Hit's hole hard, made Demario Davis, who was playing well, miss a tackle. Martin is a nice player.

Quick just hasn't gotten a lot of chances to show his speed. Run's a lot of hook and slant routes. Continues to be a nice prospect though. Physical tools are impressive. Just continues to look the part of an NFL caliber player. Showed some contributions on kick off team. Finished plays, continue chasing the returner as long as he was running, when most others didn't.

Zeitler had another nice day. Blocked Taamu well. Strong kid.

Taamu had some struggles today. Did well in one on one match ups. Struggled with double teams in a way he hasn't this week. Had a tough time getting penetration. Jumped offsides one play on a hard count, made up for it on next play by firing off the ball fast and ruining the offensive play.

Devier Posey is a very underrated prospect. Good size, great speed. Very quick. highlight of his day in my opinion is when he made a nice catch on a crossing route, broke the tackle, and showed speed to get around the edge for a first. Gets off the line fast and does everything a hundred percent. Very glad we're interested in him, I think he's got some great potential. Made a lot of nice catches and was the best receiver on the field for the north. Very shifty. Could be a natural return man.

Robinson has made circus catch after circus catch this week.

Dennard had a solid day, but I heard from someone that he was hurt and id done for the week. May or may not be true. Showed good recovery speed when he got beat by Quick on a 9 route, and then ran him down and made a good coverage play down field to prevent the long pass which drew "Ahh!'s" from the crowd. Very stocky, not short, not tall.

Saw Mitchell Schwartz up close. Very big.

South: Janoris Jenkins is starting to get more and more notice down here. Turned in another good day. Best CB on the field and it really isn't close.

Hayward had probably his worst performance off the week. Gave up catch after catch. Didn't show good speed, didn't shut down guys at the line. Just bad all over.

Melvin Ingram had another strong day. Just seems to be too good for anybody they stick across from him, no matter which side he is on. Just has an explosive first step off the ball, and couples it with great moves. Made great use of a beautiful swim move a few times.

McCants was an OT from UAB I said I liked, but he must've ran over a black cat or something on the way down, because he's the unluckiest guy down here. 90% of the time he's lined up against Ingram or Courtney Upshaw, who have both just been dominant. When he isn't up against them, he looks to be a very solid prospect.

Quinton Coples is such a difficult prospect to judge. He either makes a really good play or a really bad one. No middle ground.

Rainey and Adams both turned in another great performance today and solidified their spots as some of the week's top risers. Rainey's speed is just lovely. Blows by anyone. Cuts very well.

Dwight Jones was the worst receiver on the field yesterday. Just doesn't get off the line, constantly gets manhandled by smaller CB's and doesn't have either the speed nor the acceleration to recover and get back on track in his route. Simply refuses to use his size as an asset. Plays soft. Somebody needs to punch his mother or something.

Vlachos turned in a really nice day yesterday. Looks a bit bigger than he's listed, but seems to rely on great fundamental to get the job done. With some size he'd be a good prospect.

Allen is great when everything is in front of him. Like Hayward, he has a slow back pedal which does him in. Doesn't allow him to drop deep fast enough. If he spends some time working on that, he's got legitimate talent. That's a very coachable issue, so that's good news.

So, do you think Upshaw or Ingram could be in the panther's scope for first round talent? In other words, can you tell how much attention the panther scouts and coaches are giving these guys, both arguably 3-4 talents?

Same quesiton about Davis. People scoffed when I posted a thread about him and suggested he could rise to 2nd round level, and I was not sure I was not exaggerating his ability. However, it sounds like second round is where he will be. And is he purely a 43 OLB in your opinion?

So, do you think Upshaw or Ingram could be in the panther's scope for first round talent? In other words, can you tell how much attention the panther scouts and coaches are giving these guys, both arguably 3-4 talents?

Same quesiton about Davis. People scoffed when I posted a thread about him and suggested he could rise to 2nd round level, and I was not sure I was not exaggerating his ability. However, it sounds like second round is where he will be. And is he purely a 43 OLB in your opinion?

I think those things are possible, but so is most anything at this point. Somebody posted an article a while back where Rivera stated he would like to implement more and more 34 as the year's progress to help keep up with today's great passing offenses, so I could see it.

Davis could definitely play the middle in a 4-3 assuming he continues to put on some muscle. He has good size now, just isn't as thick from the ribs up as the Beason's and Willis' of the worlds. I believe he played the weak side at ASU, and I was hoping for a chance to see him do some more reps in coverage today, but it obviously didn't work out that way.

Archived