• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam: My home will always be in Charlotte

SOJA

Still don't understand where people got the idea that he wanted to leave

It was never mentioned but I understand.

Its a heartbroken city...And little experience with having nationally relevant players.

Like a regular dude dating an actress-model: waiting for the worst..

Historical superstar and semi star heartbreak:

Back in my day: Alonzo Mourning clawed his way out because he wanted more money than Larry Johnson(who was a bigger star before the nerve damage in his back)....hell even Kendall Gill was dying to leave when he was considered relevant...the first player to scorn the city.

Kris Jenkins, Kerry Collins quit or demanded trades...its a battered Fan base that had even high schooler Kobe Bryant demanding to only play for NY or LA if annother team drafted him....which the Hornets did.

Coach Dave Cowens quit the the Hornets...In mid season

Wr Donald Hayes left...:confused:

So I do understand it..as agents or giant sponsers can have a hand in leveraging a player move to a bigger media market...Gator-Aid?

You must remember, Cam never really had a place to call home, so to speak. He went to UF but they didn't need him because they had The Golden Calf of Bristol. He left UF and went to Blinn and helped them with the first NC but they were just a stepping stone back to where he needed to be to get to the NFL. He ended up as Auburn, and although he loved that school because they gave him a chance, he knew where his wanted to be. The Panthers is Cam's first real home where he's not only part of a team that needs him, but he's able to settle in and actually call this team home becaue he's where he always wanted to be, the NFL.

I know, as I said, Cam is not Lebron and I don't see him doing the same thing... but the reason for that has nothing to do with him saying this and more to do with the life he's lead, the fact this is football and not basketball, etc.

Athletes say stuff like this all the time, and though they mean it, sometimes those sentiments change over time.

The only guy who ever really wanted out was Peppers and it was because he couldn't handle the pressure of being the face of the organization.

I think the fact that he wanted a crap ton of money that we refused to give was an even bigger factor.

The face of the franchise was Smith already. When he went to the Bears he should have equally expected to be the face of their franchise; who else do the Bears have that was so exciting to watch?

Peppers wanted the $$$, and the Bears were the ones to bite.

Gilbert was so upset precisely because he gave LeBron some power over personnel and felt blindsided (LeBron was the reason Amare was never a Cav, why Jamison *was*, and the Cavs also had trades worked out to bring Bosh to the Cavs as well which, of course, never happened - the Cavs kept trying to add "just one more piece" next to James with his feedback instead of taking a step back and building around him for the long term).

Gilbert never gave control of personnel to LeBron. LOL, I dont know where you heard that lie from. And even if it were true, just think about that a second. What billionaire owner gives control of his business to an employee? You think JR lets Smitty tell him what to do. Gilbert is a HORRIBLE owner, dont defend idiocy. For the record Gilbert rejected the Amare deal because he didnt want to throw in JJ Hickson, Gilbert also FIRED Mike Brown, not LeBron. Gilbert is also the dumbass who let his star player test free agency. SMART owners dont do that. Get it straight.

There's a reason nobody ever accused Gilbert of treating LeBron like a slave before The Decision, then he went crazy over it because he felt betrayed by him (and Gilbert DID go crazy, lol). For whatever reason they never actually thought LeBron would leave, probably because they were too dumb to realize he isn't the kind of guy (at least at that point) that Kobe, MJ, hell even Wade and Dirk are. He's still a great player, but yeah. He wanted someone else to lean on, and that's understandable. Not everybody has that killer instinct.

What sports team lets their superstar become unrestricted (failing to lock him up long term) and go knee deep into free agency only to be shocked HE COULD LEAVE? Who is that stupid? People from Cleveland thats who. You think JR and gang will let Cam test free agency at all? No only stupid teams do that. Gilbert failed his ticket holders and threw Bron under the bus because of it. Since he left, Cleveland has been the worst team in the league. They picked first last April.

As to what all this means... meh. I was never worried about Cam leaving. I don't think he's going to leave. But what he says right now isn't really telling about what he'll do in 5 years or ten years. Remember that James early in his career was all about how great Cleveland was and how it was his home and he'd do anything to bring a championship to Cleveland and wouldn't stop until he had one. I don't think Cam will do this because he isn't the same kind of person that James is and football isn't the same kind of sport as basketball.

Again, you're putting all the blame on the player and leaving no responsibility on the organizations that employ them. You feel LeBron should bring prosperity to Cleveland just cuz he's an athlete even though he's not under a contract, but Dan Gilbert who uses the city's resources, gets tax breaks, and still runs a business there doesnt. "Small market" mentality if I ever seen one. And people wonder why star players prefer "big markets".

I think the fact that he wanted a crap ton of money that we refused to give was an even bigger factor.

The face of the franchise was Smith already. When he went to the Bears he should have equally expected to be the face of their franchise; who else do the Bears have that was so exciting to watch?

Peppers wanted the $$$, and the Bears were the ones to bite.

We had offered him pretty much the same deal. And offered to make him the highest paid defensive player in history prior to that. Your statement is inaccurate.

. . .

You guys need to understand two things:

1.) We can franchise tag him until kingdom come. If the Panthers want him we will keep him.

2.) Elite quarterbacks in this league do one thing consistently: win. We would have to put some incredibly poor talent around him for years, or he will have to regress or fail to improve in order for us not to eventually win consistently.

Seriously, Cam's not going anywhere, he's not going to want to go anywhere, and we'll be fine.

Archived