• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stadium Controversy Brewing?

Nicbsbll2

You might have been to young to remember this, but NO PSL=NO NFL football in Charlotte. I payed and you should have to pay too.

You can always go to Atlanta and buy season tickets to see the Falcons with out buying a PSL.

You can get Season tickets for the Panthers too without having a PSL. I don't understand the hate behind the PSLs. Sure there are some douchey banker wine and cheese fans that don't cheer and sell their tickets, but there are plenty of those same types that buy single game tickets. And without PSLs there would be that many more tickets available for opposing fans. Honestly when you get up the upper levels the PSL owners are just as die hard and cheer as much as the event staff will let them.

What restaurants not named Bojangles does Jerry own? Hotels? Even if this is the case, they provide hundreds, if not thousands of jobs for the people of Charlottle.

Jerry doesn't own Bojangles anymore. A Boston area (I think) private equity firm purchased it.

I don't really know why this is an issue. When it was first announced that they would be making stadium upgrades, Jerry said it would be financed with private funds.

Like someone else mentioned, if Jerry is seeking to make infrastructure upgrades that are beneficial to both the Panthers and the City of Charlotte, he may ask them to share the cost. They did this when they initially built the stadium for street and sidewalk improvements, but the stadium was financed privately through PSLs.

If you don't think that Charlotte has benefitted greatly from the presense of the Panthers, then you have absolutely no idea how these things work.

Just on game days: 70,000 people have to pay for parking (taxable money), they buy food both inside and outside the stadium (taxable money), hotels see an increase in occupancy rate (taxable money), bars see an increase in alcohol/food sales (taxable money), etc.

Not to mention the 53+ players and coaches and high level front office personnel that live here and make $400,000+ per season and the expensive homes and cars they buy, plus the countless number of other jobs the team provides for the community,the merchandise the team sales yearly and the free publicity the city receives the 10 games they play in Charlotte every year.

/end thread

Yea, while I was reading the first 20 or 30 posts I was planning my long tirade on how JR has every right to ask for city money if he wants to because of how much the team benefits the city (in terms of people from outside Charlotte coming in to Charlotte and giving the city of Charlotte money in the form of buying gas, eating, hotels, etc) but Nicbsbll2 and others have sufficiently made the point I was going to :)

pardon my ignorance...but I'm Canadian...

how different is the new logo going to be from the old? will you see a difference in some of those big ass neon lights etc?

Not sure, but since you are obviously a Canadian expert on Canadia, I have a question for you. Why in the hell do the Blue Jays change their uniforms and logo every 7-8 years?

disposable stuff like wrappers and cups are a non-issue. worst case you throw a couple of cases away (and i doubt they'll do that) and wait for the new shipments of stuff with the new logo to come in. it's probably as simple as sending your manufacturer an email with the new image on a file

It's monumentally more difficult and expensive than that.

Archived