• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Still worried about our run defense...

Zod

I don't think the NYG game is the best example for our run defense last year. Kemo is a Big part of what our run defense was, and wasn't for that matter in that game last year.

Despite what many think of him....Brayton was pretty solid against the run. Lewis was the only weak point against the run on our starting O-Line.

I expect Brown to start the year behind brayton on situational downs.

Starting d-line: Peppers, Lewis, Kemo, Brayton

Passing down d-line: Peppers, Lewis, Johnson, Brown

I'm not worried about our run defense this year, IF...

- we draft a couple of good DTs (one good every down player and one NT type)

- Meeks uses Chris Harris the way he used Bob Sanders

- Harris stays healthy more consistently than Sanders has

- the offense continues playing the way they did last year

That last one is key. The Colt defense under Meeks was quite often able to simply pin their ears back and rush the passer because the offense forced other teams to play from behind. Although the profile of our offense is quite different (run heavy rather than built around the QB) the potential is still there.

Add in that our defense, even without new guys, is heavier in the middle than the Colts D ever was.

When you put these in perspective, our run defense last year had some pretty good games against some very tough opponents during the first half of the season. Perhaps it's naive on my part, but I attribute a good part of the break down to the people on the sidelines. With the moves that have been made, thus far, on our D, I am thinking that we are going to be a team that produces a little controlled chaos, and gets after the ball.

I think that as long as the DC emphasizes being smart, such as being keenly aware of the angles and not over pursuing, then there is no way we will be pushed around like we were against the Giants. Half of the battle is just getting guys that have the talent and motor to get after it, and an analytical approach to defense. I am thinking that Brown is this kind of guy, and we will be looking to add a DT in that same vein.

Brown is a little undersized, but has the strength of a guy larger than his size, and expect that his play will be larger than many of you think.

Archived