• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TSN blurb on what's next for Peppers

NanceUSMC

I'm disappointed that so many teams have seemingly gotten wise to Peppers in unison. There's a number of teams who will gamble big on a guy with a rap sheet or who's a know head case, but apparently zero who are willing to gamble on a guy notoriously known to take plays off.

I'm pretty sure the entire NFL knows Peppers only wants to play for 1 or 2 teams instead of Carolina......and that is why people aren't beating down his door. Why would they? Peppers isn't on the market like people think......Carolina wants him and has said from day 1 they are not looking to move him. If he did sign his tag and his dream team made a good offer then they might consider it.....that is it and that is all that has actually been said.

Laughing at the idea that Fox and Hurney are on thin ice.

Um, I don't think it is outlandish to think if Fox misses the playoffs this year and his typical "Fox ways" are seen again as a problem....that he might no longer be w/ us. I think one could realistic look at high caliber defensive players wanting out, coaches wanting out, etc, and put more emphasis on those things if Fox disappoints this year (and it is highly possibly w/ what appears to be a brutal schedule).

I think that Fox's future is hand in hand with Jake. And most likely both will be gone at the end of the year.As for Pep, when he wants to be he is dominating, when he wants not to be he dosen't. And I question his presence in the locker room, not a good leader and negitive attitude at times.We definately need to do what it takes to make us play hard for the man next to us.I think Pep is a big reason we don't have this.

i actually think its gonna take alot more than a bad season next year for fox to go. as much as id like to see cowher here. i think as loyal as hurney seems to be to jake that he is even more loyal to fox. i think fox and hurney are a good fit for each other. and its gonna take something like 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row for a change to be made. and as far as the Richardson's stepping in and making a move. i think its more likely that they would step in and advise hurney and fox to make some big changes (ie move on from jake) before replacing both of them

i actually think its gonna take alot more than a bad season next year for fox to go. as much as id like to see cowher here. i think as loyal as hurney seems to be to jake that he is even more loyal to fox. i think fox and hurney are a good fit for each other. and its gonna take something like 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row for a change to be made. and as far as the Richardson's stepping in and making a move. i think its more likely that they would step in and advise hurney and fox to make some big changes (ie move on from jake) before replacing both of them

Fox already had two average years and then a playoff ass kicking....add to that the best DT and DE that have ever played in Carolina wanted off the defensive minded coaches team.....along w/ his defensive coordinator......and that isn't setting up Fox well if he disappoints this season. If Fox's flaws (uber conservative calls, loyatly to Jake, etc,) prove to factor into this season as we miss the playoffs then it would set us up to easily move in a new direction.

:lol: You cant admit that you read it wrong. Come on you dont have to be always right.

I was trying to let it go because unlike you I don't have to be right or argue things into the ground. But I am not wrong and I will prove it since you want to argue it. Lets review.

His words are the following:

The most forgotten man in the 2009 offseason has been defensive end Julius Peppers.

No one has shown a serious interest in trading for -- or paying -- the man who likely fancies himself as more valuable than Albert Haynesworth (who received $40 million guaranteed) and Matthew Stafford (who received $41.7 million guaranteed).

Now that the draft has come and gone, the price in trade has, as a practical matter, dropped significantly. If a team signs Peppers, the team's franchise player, to an offer sheet and the Panthers choose not to match it, Carolina would get a first-round pick in 2010 and another one in 2011.

For a team with a front office and/or coaching staff feeling the heat to win now, they essentially can have their first-round pick and trade it, too. Really, why worry about a draft pick to be used in April 2010 if there's a good chance that house will be cleaned in January?

If you look at the line above the underlined one they are saying that with a team feeling the heat to win in 2009, they can have their first round pick and trade it too. That means that a team can now keep their 2009 draft pick and also trade for Peppers with future draft picks. Up until the draft it would have cost them their 2009 pick and 2010. This way they can have their first rounder this year and still get Peppers and trade a future one away. The price dropping is a reference to what it would cost a team to acquire Peppers not what he is worth. He would still cost 2 first rounders but a future first rounder is not worth what a current first rounder would be before or during the draft.

This couldn't apply to us since we couldn't "have our first round draft pick" since we didn't have one in 2009. For us to have one in 2009 we would have had to trade him before or during the draft. So all we can get is a first rounder in the future which wouldn't help us if we were under the gun.

The statement about not worrying about a draft pick used in April of 2010 since the office will be cleaned would have to relate to another team not us. IN fact if we were under the gun to win now we would keep Peppers and not trade him at all, under the premise that a draft pick in 2010 wouldn't help us if they cleaned the office in January. Any reference to trading him for future picks is in reference to benefitting another team not us since we would receive no immediate benefit and be worse off without him in 2009. By trading him we would be more under the gun not less.

While you could mistakenly interpret the "why worry about the 2010 pick if the house is going to be cleaned" as relating to the Panthers to suggest we wouldn't be interested in trading him, but in the context of the rest of the story it would be totally incorrect. The article is about reasons to trade him not why we should keep him.

Reading comprehension is a good thing.

I was trying to let it go because unlike you I don't have to be right or argue things into the ground. But I am not wrong and I will prove it since you want to argue it. Lets review.

His words are the following:

The most forgotten man in the 2009 offseason has been defensive end Julius Peppers.

No one has shown a serious interest in trading for -- or paying -- the man who likely fancies himself as more valuable than Albert Haynesworth (who received $40 million guaranteed) and Matthew Stafford (who received $41.7 million guaranteed).

Now that the draft has come and gone, the price in trade has, as a practical matter, dropped significantly. If a team signs Peppers, the team's franchise player, to an offer sheet and the Panthers choose not to match it, Carolina would get a first-round pick in 2010 and another one in 2011.

For a team with a front office and/or coaching staff feeling the heat to win now, they essentially can have their first-round pick and trade it, too. Really, why worry about a draft pick to be used in April 2010 if there's a good chance that house will be cleaned in January?

If you look at the line above the underlined one they are saying that with a team feeling the heat to win in 2009, they can have their first round pick and trade it too. That means that a team can now keep their 2009 draft pick and also trade for Peppers with future draft picks. Up until the draft it would have cost them their 2009 pick and 2010. This way they can have their first rounder this year and still get Peppers and trade a future one away. The price dropping is a reference to what it would cost a team to acquire Peppers not what he is worth. He would still cost 2 first rounders but a future first rounder is not worth what a current first rounder would be before or during the draft.

This couldn't apply to us since we couldn't "have our first round draft pick" since we didn't have one in 2009. For us to have one in 2009 we would have had to trade him before or during the draft. So all we can get is a first rounder in the future which wouldn't help us if we were under the gun.

The statement about not worrying about a draft pick used in April of 2010 since the office will be cleaned would have to relate to another team not us. IN fact if we were under the gun to win now we would keep Peppers and not trade him at all, under the premise that a draft pick in 2010 wouldn't help us if they cleaned the office in January. Any reference to trading him for future picks is in reference to benefitting another team not us since we would receive no immediate benefit and be worse off without him in 2009. By trading him we would be more under the gun not less.

While you could mistakenly interpret the "why worry about the 2010 pick if the house is going to be cleaned" as relating to the Panthers to suggest we wouldn't be interested in trading him, but in the context of the rest of the story it would be totally incorrect. The article is about reasons to trade him not why we should keep him.

Reading comprehension is a good thing.

why worry about a draft pick to be used in April 2010 if there's a good chance that house will be cleaned in January?

When do most coach's and GM's get fired. You're right reading comprehension is your friend. ;)

He's right, the OTHER TEAM'S coach/FO are on the hot seat and would be fired in January so they trade a pick in April that, if they DON'T win now after having traded said pick for Julio Pepperino, wouldn't matter to them because, like you said, they'd be gone.

Squirrel, you're wrong on this one. lol

He's right, the OTHER TEAM'S coach/FO are on the hot seat and would be fired in January so they trade a pick in April that, if they DON'T win now after having traded said pick for Julio Pepperino, wouldn't matter to them because, like you said, they'd be gone.

Squirrel, you're wrong on this one. lol

Wha tdo you know. :lol: Oh well.

I would expect Fox to get father then he did last year in the playoffs. If he dose not then I would expect him to be on a very hot seat. With that said Richardson likes how Pitt stays with there coaches so we could very well not make it any farther and fox still stay.

Archived