• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have the 6th largest media market

dbeat

I think poeple are confusing small fan base with small media market.The 'carolina' panthers take up two states so it makes sense to me. Still a small fanbase because media market has nothing to do with the actual size of the fanbase, good broadcasting and solid companies who advertise by using the panthers (attraction to buyers, commercials, etc.) will bring a big media market, Panthers have always had good buisness backing. fanbse is different, the fanbase comes from wins and history, the product itself and pre-03 a fanbase was virtually non-exisstent and the next milestone will be pre-cam becayse I assure you the ratings before Cam were much worse. glad to have new cam people as fans but they'll never know or understand the sweet joy that sb will bring to a fan from the beginning.

our media market contains plenty of hill people who grew up eating squirrel stew with pa and listening to the redskins game on the radio box. they'll never cheer for them there panthers.

They'll die off soon.

Here's what Charlie Dayton (Panthers PR director) tweeted on 12/8/11:

"92 straight sellouts impressive under any circumstances, but more so considering one of 10 largest stadiums in NFL's 24th smallest market"

Link: https://twitter.com/...900778371452928

Sellouts are never impressive for one of the few teams with psls. A lot of people at games are for business and a lot are for the other team. Just about all seats are sold before the season even begins, even then boa stadium has had trouble getting rid of seats to actual fans. Just a whole completely different situation than a team like the packers. A lot of this poo is skewed and from actually going to panther games the only real fans around me are pal owners. Cam will definetely help this.

It's funny cause we definitely seem to have a large fan base when we make the playoffs. All of a sudden it's packed full with die hard lather fans : rollseyes:

I think poeple are confusing small fan base with small media market.The 'carolina' panthers take up two states so it makes sense to me. Still a small fanbase because media market has nothing to do with the actual size of the fanbase, good broadcasting and solid companies who advertise by using the panthers (attraction to buyers, commercials, etc.) will bring a big media market, Panthers have always had good buisness backing. fanbse is different, the fanbase comes from wins and history, the product itself and pre-03 a fanbase was virtually non-exisstent and the next milestone will be pre-cam becayse I assure you the ratings before Cam were much worse. glad to have new cam people as fans but they'll never know or understand the sweet joy that sb will bring to a fan from the beginning.

Another problem is that the Panthers market is spread out with several medium sized cities. Going to the games for people in Winston, Greensboro, High Point, etc... is something that takes some preparation, and willingness to spend a lot of time in traffic. So all but the most dedicated fans can only make to 1-2 games a year if they live outside of Charlotte.

Guest Bwood

That's damn impressive.

So why was there ever talk of us moving to LA then?

Uh...because that would be awesome?

ready for shitt talk.

Not to hijack this into a baseball thread, but Jerry Reese (attorney who has sued the city now six times), has been saying this for years, why Charlotte should have pursued MLB instead of the boneheaded decision to put public funds into minor league baseball. We ALL love football more, but there's no more family friendly pro sport nor a "cheaper" pro sports ticket than MLB. With Cam and our dynasty to come, the Hornets name back with a motivated MJ as owner, and MLB, WOW!!!! But doesn't look likely at all now if the Knights break ground. http://www.mlbcharlotte.com/pdfs/mlbcharlotte.pdf Sorry to hijack, just frustrated.

You're not thinking about this right. Think of it this way - Draw a circle with a 75 mile radius around Charlotte, then draw one with a 75 mile radius around Greensboro. If they share any common area then it's included in the Same Market. In essence a city can be up to 150 miles away from Charlotte and be included.

Raleigh is 140 miles from Charlotte but not included I don't think.

Archived