• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt: Patriots "lurking" in the Peppers saga

Mr. Scot

If New England calls your FO, hopefully they hang up on them. NE is very good at raping other teams. I don't ever want to do business with NE, regardless of the situation. If they offered Tom Brady, I would be skeptical about that too.

Look at the GM's (or owners)... I doubt this is the case, but maybe I give Hurney too much credit when I say he's noone to play hardball with... (*ahem*Pep*ahem*)

Hurney has a track record of getting things done efficiently.. Not the other way around.

Peppers is not the brightest guy in the world. Thats putting it nicely.

The fact that his agent has not been poo canned by now and an actual agent in his place is ridiculous.

Peppers, you think you are a top 10 player? Get a top 10 agent.

He had a top 10 agent, Marvin Demhoff but fired him in favor of Carey a couple years ago.

Thomas's contract in 2007 was a 5 year deal for 35 million total with 20 million guaranteed. So that is 7 million a year. Given we were offering 80 million for 6 years with 35 guaranteed (or something close to that), seems he would have to be real serious when he says it isn't about the money. That would be less than half of what he was offered here and his total guaranteed money would be equal to what he will get for 2009 alone here. Besides unless they put a poison pill in there we will definitely match that deal.

But even if the terms were worked out financially, the Patriots won't trade us for anything close to what we would be asking. Don't see how a deal could be swung.

With Peppers, it's possible.

Even if he is looking to cash in though, position plays a role here as far as price. A lot of it depends on whether they see him as an OLB or a DE.

That is predicated on the idea that the Panthers want to trade Peppers. As this goes along I am not convinced that they are. So no matter what deal gets floated, it may get nixed by Hurney anyway.

Until Peppers signs his tender it doesn't look like we will get to test anyone's theory.

Prior articles would indicate that this isn't necessarily a unanimous viewpoint in the Panthers front office.

My own theory is that Fox is the "keep him at all costs" guy while Hurney is "give him up for a good enough offer". I'd also have to say that if they're willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd for Derrick Burgess, I feel we could possibly get fair compensation for Peppers (even if it's less than the official demand).

The article I read on PFT and the one that boston.com is referencing is saying they would trade a 2nd OR a 3rd next year for Burgess (not both).

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/19/pats-interested-in-trading-for-derrick-burgess/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/05/report_pats_con.html

More reasonable regarding Burgess, but the "trial balloon" idea is still possible.

I have been mulling this over time and again, and I can't come up with any other idea, other than he just hopes that we release him....

Honestly, I can't think of anything else. If he plays this year he will come in right before camp, sign the tender and play.

Maybe he and his agent just believe they aren't going anywhere, so they are just sitting out OTAs and TC before signing. No Vet wants to go to those, even if he is supposed to be learning a new system.

If I understand the Fran Tag correctly, the Panthers can pull the tag up until a day in July (9th maybe?). If they do, he's a free agent. If they don't, it can't be pulled this year, and Pep can sit out until week 16, sign the tag, play two games, and get the full $17 million tag.

If he does this, he will be the most hated Panthers player since Curruth.

If I understand the Fran Tag correctly, the Panthers can pull the tag up until a day in July (9th maybe?). If they do, he's a free agent. If they don't, it can't be pulled this year, and Pep can sit out until week 16, sign the tag, play two games, and get the full $17 million tag.

Don't know if those facts are true, but if so, I agree. Except he will be more hated than Curruth

Nope, Peppers has till the 6th game to sign or not. He will only get paid for the games he has played in/been part of the active roster. The team can rescind the tag at any point and make him a free agent. The date in July is the time in which the team can negotiate a new long term contract with him, after that date the team can not have contract talks with said player.

Nope, Peppers has till the 6th game to sign or not. He will only get paid for the games he has played in/been part of the active roster. The team can rescind the tag at any point and make him a free agent. The date in July is the time in which the team can negotiate a new long term contract with him, after that date the team can not have contract talks with said player.

I've searched all over the net and can't find anything that says you are right or I am right, so I'm still not sure.

I was just thinking. Do we really want Pep to go to the Pats. THey are already one of the most formidable teams in the NFL with Brady behind center. Their defense, which is no slouch now, would be completed with Pep. He might make them damn near unstoppable. If Brady returns toform of the year before last, you can bet that a lot of teams would be playing catch up all season long. Enter a charging Pep with a chip on his shoulder, and it doesn't make for a pretty scene.

They were "unbeatable" two years ago too.

Come to think of it, someone on here declaring the Patriots "unbeatable" seems to have become an annual event.

(usually happens right after they sign a free agent or trade for somebody)

They were "unbeatable" two years ago too.

Come to think of it, someone on here declaring the Patriots "unbeatable" seems to have become an annual event.

(usually happens right after they sign a free agent or trade for somebody)

No, not unbeatable, but "damn near unstoppable." There's a difference there. One connotes impossibility, the other difficulty. I am too old and have seen too much to speak of impossibilities. I might add that but for a mix of great desire, luck, and favor from God, the Pats would have been undefeated, which technically made them damn near unstoppable.

Suffice it to say that Pep wold make a force to be reckoned with that much more difficult to conquer. But it would not be impossible.

Archived