• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL.com Article: Panthers Winning outcome, Losing Attitude

Sword

LANDOVER, Md. -- Watching through a crowd of teammates who were standing along the sideline in front of his seat on the bench, Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy saw all he needed to see. His offense, he thought, was giving the game away.

Hardy lifted his helmet, slammed it to the ground, shouted an expletive, and started down the sideline, so that more could hear him expressing his emotions. All while his team was beating the Washington Redskins by eight points. All with less than two minutes to play Sunday.

"I got a little emotional and said some things I'm not sure if I meant or not, but I wanted everybody to know," Hardy told NFL.com after the Panthers' 21-13 win. "I wanted everybody to attack, even with a lead.

"You've got to be on your toes, not on your heels. I got a little emotional about that."

Emotional enough for Hardy -- who, when the Panthers were just 1:15 from their first victory since Sept. 16, had to be restrained by wide receiver Steve Smith -- to apologize to coach Ron Rivera in the locker room after the game.

Rivera's response, however, was interesting: No need to apologize, he told Hardy. None at all. The Redskins never should have had the late tying opportunity that sparked Hardy's outburst, and a little fire was apparently in order. If only it had come on the field instead.

"That's outstanding," Rivera later explained in a corner of the locker room. "We have to play with that type of emotion. This is an emotional game, and when you play with emotion, you give yourself an opportunity to win. Be in attack mode. Be aggressive."

More

Have to get over that feeling that we are going somehow lose at the end of these games. Good on the Kraken for showing the fire though.

horrible title...obviously for the redskins market.

great read, though.

loved this:

"I got a little emotional and said some things I'm not sure if I meant or not, but I wanted everybody to know," Hardy told NFL.com after the Panthers' 21-13 win. "I wanted everybody to attack, even with a lead.
a-frikkin-men.

liked rivera's comments as well talking about hardy's outburst

"That's outstanding," Rivera later explained in a corner of the locker room. "We have to play with that type of emotion. This is an emotional game, and when you play with emotion, you give yourself an opportunity to win. Be in attack mode. Be aggressive."
i hope the whole team is fired up like that.

seems like a well needed sentimentality that is starting to take over the lockerroom.

don't ever get too comfortable with any lead. always be fighting. don't take that foot off the gas. just keep on pushing.

Hardy is turning a corner on the field and on the bench? Luke looked like he got the message by the way he celebrated a the end. The young emerging players are defining this defense now. They are way more physical and they are definitely more animated than I've seen them. I don't remember seeing so many big hits out there, even when Fox was here, most of those teams didn't lay the wood that much.

We need to have some more intensity on offense. Shockey really brought the attitude that helped guide the younger guys. I just wish the offensive line was better so they could impose the run game more and get everyone into it.

Still have to take the option out of the offense and get back to pounding the football. It was working well against the Bears who are a top defense.

this is the kind of fire and raw passion we've been clearly missing through the first portion of the season (and arguably through a huge chunk of last season, if not the entire thing.)

i hope it's infectious. if rivera's worth his poo as a coach he'll find a way to channel this.

Archived