• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Rivera is fired, who is the new coach?

Catalyst

Completely hypothetical scenario here. I think there's a good chance Rivera stays, but in the event that he is gone on Monday, who would be the best choice for the new coach?

Some names I like as possible picks that aren't the usual big names such as Cowher, Gruden, Andy Reid, and Chip Kelly.

- Mike Zimmer, DC, Bengals: The Cincy defense hasn't been exactly dominant in recent years, but it's been remarkably consistently solid during Zimmer's time as the defensive coordinator. He's extremely well-liked by his players and doesn't have a ton of talent to work with.

- Gus Bradley, DC, Seahawks: I really like Bradley as a possible head coach for us. He's coached that Seahawks defense into one of the best units in the NFL and he's done it with home-grown young talent. With our solid foundation on defense with CJ, Hardy, and Luke our defense would be nasty. My only question is how he would handle the offense and Cam, but that's more an unknown quality than a negative one.

Perry Fewell, DC, Giants: I'd feel a whole lot better about him if the Giants weren't playing like poo right now. Still, I was impressed with his stint as the interim coach in Buffalo several years back and he has a lot of the qualities you look for in a head coach.

Vic Fangio, DC, 49ers: Much like Gus Bradley, it's all about the defense here and creating one of the league's best units. However, Fangio has done it with a lot more talent than Bradley has and, TBH, I think Seattle's defense is better overall.

Bruce Arians, Interim Head Coach, Colts: This is a very interesting potential pick. I've never been especially impressed with Arians as an offensive coordinator, but he's done a very solid job filling in for Chuck Pagano in Indy. He's certainly worth taking a look at.

None of these guys. Sorry to say that I'm sick of defensive minded HCs. I for once want the Panthers to have a offensive minded Guru of a HC that help move the ball down the field on every drive just about. I'm tired of seeing our offense struggle year after year. That has been the way for 16 years now. Yes while we have has success at times on the offense over the years. We have never had a strong offense like GB or the Pats have had for years. We need a HC who has the offense mind that can come up with good offense plays to move us down the field. This or have a Vet Coach to come in to be the HC of this team. So sick of dealing with DCs and OCs who turn out to be crap pretty much. We been here and done this. Time to go after a guy like Chip Kelly or do the Vet HC thing and go after Gruden or Bill Coward. Plain and simple.

People rushing to the predictable -I don't want another DC- line should consider the coaches and their respective histories, not just their current position. A lot of things come into play such as them working in HC positions in college, AHC experience (i.e. Winston Moss), basically I'm saying to consider their resume and not just their current title.

With that being said, I have three personal favorites that are all on different sides of the ball:

Brad Seely (AHC/ST 49ers), Rick Dennison (OC Texans), and Gus Bradley (DC Seahawks)

...and if we could bring in Cowher, I'd actually be all for that. No joke.

Ideal realistic candidates: Holmgren, Reid, Kelly, JAY Gruden. Get one of those four guys and I'd be happy. Honestly at this point I don't want a coordinator who has been riding the coat tails of Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers. Those guys were great BEFORE those coordinators got there or (in the case of Luck) were going to be great regardless.

Also...for those of you who want Arians. Look at his time in Pittsburgh. He was the reason they got away from Steeler football with a strong running game. You hate the fact that Cam throws in 35x a game with Chud? You are really going to hate Bruce Arians.

So why post in it, negative nancy.

When was the last time you posted something positive?

At least this was a well thought out HC thread, and one done with some research behind the candidates.

Two names brought up on this thread will probably not be in for any real consideration. Perry Fewell interviewed with us last year, even if Marc Ross is brought in, I'm just not sure that he's a likely candidate. And Mike McCoy sucked ass in his time here as a QB coach. Really really sucked. He's been pretty terrible developing QBs in Denver as well, and is riding the success of Peyton.

Archived