• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chud to interview with the Browns?

BountyHunter

That's just not true.

We ran the read option much more early in the year than late in the year. Hell, in the last game against NO, we only ran it 3 times. Compare that to the 21 times we ran it against Atlanta early in the year, or 11 times vs Seattle, or 14 times against Dallas.

Where are those read option numbers from?

The read option did die late....but that probably had something to do with the fact Newton and Williams literally fought over the ball. I do question the chemistry between those two...

When Stewart was still in the lineup the usage of the read option seemed to change based on opponent. For example, disappeared against Chicago and returned the next week against the Skins

Where are those read option numbers from?

The read option did die late....but that probably had something to do with the fact Newton and Williams literally fought over the ball. I do question the chemistry between those two...

When Stewart was still in the lineup the usage of the read option seemed to change based on opponent. For example, disappeared against Chicago and returned the next week against the Skins

Early in the year, it seemed to me our offense had changed quite a bit from last year. So I went back and started reviewing games from last year and this year with pen and paper in hand. I charted things like formation, run or pass, shotgun or under center, type of run play (i.e. I form, read option, traditional shotgun handoff, etc), play fake or no, etc.

Going through that exercise made it glaring that we had indeed changed our offense from last year. And there is no doubt whatsoever that it changed again later this year. But yeah, those numbers are some of the data still around from when I charted plays.

Early in the year, it seemed to me our offense had changed quite a bit from last year. So I went back and started reviewing games from last year and this year with pen and paper in hand. I charted things like formation, run or pass, shotgun or under center, type of run play (i.e. I form, read option, traditional shotgun handoff, etc), play fake or no, etc.

Going through that exercise made it glaring that we had indeed changed our offense from last year. And there is no doubt whatsoever that it changed again later this year. But yeah, those numbers are some of the data still around from when I charted plays.

Well, I am still a big believer the read option didn't work well bc we changed the personel we used when running it early. We ran it using 2 TE sets last year and late this year. Makes a difference IMO.

I do think we ran to too much but it is a good play overall

According to The Canton Repository (really? there's a newspaper called The Canton Repository?) the Browns are expected to wrap up their head coaching search this weekend.

They've had Ken Whisenhunt in for a second interview already.

Damn! That doesn't sound good.

The 3 games you just listed are all games we could have won but the defense let get away

Defense held Seattle to 16 pts that afternoon. And the offense managed only 12 pts and Cam threw a potential game winning 3 yd TD pass into the ground ...missing a wide open TE.

Laughable that you would try and hang that loss on the defense. That was totally on the offense.

Well, I am still a big believer the read option didn't work well bc we changed the personel we used when running it early. We ran it using 2 TE sets last year and late this year. Makes a difference IMO.

I do think we ran to too much but it is a good play overall

That's a good point. I think not using 2 TE's hurt our passing and running game. I'm not opposed to using the read option at all, just think when it's too much it becomes easy to defend. When it was used more sparingly it was way more effective. Us going with so many spread formations in general(no TE's or RB's in) seems like a bad idea with the Oline we have.

Defense held Seattle to 16 pts that afternoon. And the offense managed only 12 pts and Cam threw a potential game winning 3 yd TD pass into the ground ...missing a wide open TE.

Laughable that you would try and hang that loss on the defense. That was totally on the offense.

Didn't help that our best WR was busier trying to show up a CB than pay attention to our offense...

Archived