• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who gets cut that suddenly leaves us with a big need?

panthers55

Cut: Clausen, A Edwards, Gettis, Hangartner, G Williams (take a look at his cap number), R Edwards, J Andersen, Nakamura, Gamble

Traded: Beason (not easy but a team like Dallas switching to a 4-3 without a 4-3 MLB may a trade a 6-7th rounder even with that contract),

D Williams (should be able to get a 4-6th rounder)

Leave via FA: D Andersen, Harstock, Barnidge, Murphy, Applewhite, Neblett, Munnerlyn, Martin

Restructure Contract: Gross, D Edwards

This would put the Panthers cap number at about $96 million (about $25 million in cap space). The biggest wholes would be NT, CB and OG.

I don't think Gamble is as big of a need as people think. Or anyone in our secondary. We had a couple of undrafted free agents and a 7th round safety playing back there at the end of the year. The reason they were effective was that our pass rush finally came on. You only give a QB 3 seconds or so to find someone and it makes your db's so much better. Gamble would be a great luxury to have but we can't afford that luxury. Gettlemen has already said that there is a price at every position and I'd imagine the one for DB's isn't that high. A 2nd or 4th round safety/corner could shore up the secondary as long as the pass rush continues to improve.

Gross would be a huge loss. While I feel like he should restructure, move to the right side, and then hopefully we draft a left tackle at 14 it's unlikely. I think the offensive line is a huge priority this offseason. Hopefully we bring in some quality draft picks, at least two, and maybe a low priced veteran free agent.

I see this point. About CB--we will need a nickel and McFadden from San Diego St could be a good fit in the fourth round. Norman, Thomas, and even Dockery did not play that bad. If they had S help, they would even be better.

Norman will improve. He gained a lot of experience. I still think we could grab a CB in the second, a Poyer or Ryan.

If we cut Gross, the savings is less than $7m. We cannot replace him for that. He might be extended to save some coin. Gamble, as you say, is gone unless he takes a significant pay cut.

Cut: Clausen, A Edwards, Gettis, Hangartner, G Williams (take a look at his cap number), R Edwards, J Andersen, Nakamura, Gamble

Traded: Beason (not easy but a team like Dallas switching to a 4-3 without a 4-3 MLB may a trade a 6-7th rounder even with that contract),

D Williams (should be able to get a 4-6th rounder)

Leave via FA: D Andersen, Harstock, Barnidge, Murphy, Applewhite, Neblett, Munnerlyn, Martin

Restructure Contract: Gross, D Edwards

This would put the Panthers cap number at about $96 million (about $25 million in cap space). The biggest wholes would be NT, CB and OG.

Dallas does not need Beason.... They have a beast at MLB already in Sean Lee and Bruce Carter is moving to OLB so they're set

Beason has played ~6 games in 2 years... He is untradeable... He will, however, be asked to restructure, or a target for release...

Deangelo will be asked to restructure, and could be released after June 1, or traded for a midround selection...

Nakamura is gone, a savings of ~1.4M...

Ron Edwards is likely gone, a savings of 1.5M...

Chris Gamble is almost certainly gone, a savings of ~8M...

Depending on how those moves work out, it could save us north of the needed 16M... More moves would have to be made, of course, and they could sting... But I think those are the obvious ones...

Who knows. Teams do things the exact opposite of what the media thinks they will do pretty often. But the point was a team that needs a MLB would trade for Beason the Panthers just won't be getting anything of signifigance in return.

Very true... I just feel if we're not going to get much for Beason we should restructure his contract and let him play SLB

Archived