• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tillis: No State money for Panthers stadium

g5jamz

Every single year our state and local governments give out millions in direct benefits and tax credits to businesses all over this state. From FedEx and GE down to small regional companies we use all manner of financial incentives to get and keep employers. Heres a 30 page brochure on just what can be had from the state: http://www.thrivenc.com/node/624/financial-incentives

No reason the Panthers shouldn't get some of that corporate welfare too.

Agree.

Tillis is probably just a Steeler or Cowboy fan.

This is really a non-issue. Richardson didn't ask NC for the lions share of the money. He asked Charlotte to raise sales taxes on hotels and food to pay for it. Just like most politicians looking for publicity and the limelight, he is jumping in to show he isn't going to give money away just as he prepares to gut entitlement programs. That way people can't say you cut medical care to millions of children while you gave millions to the Panthers. This way he can say he is not giving money to anybody. So he is cutting off the conversation before it gets started. Plus being from Mechlenburg he doesn't want to seem as if he is going to push it as some kind of pork barrel. Wouldn't surprise if while he says no, he is having someone else do his dirty work to get the money which he will publicly oppose but agree to if everyone else wants to do it,

This is really a non-issue. Richardson didn't ask NC for money. He asked Charlotte to raise sales taxes on hotels and food to pay for it. Just like most politicians looking for publicity and the limelight, he is jumping in to show he isn't going to give money away just as he prepares to gut entitlement programs. That way people can't say you cut medical care to millions of children while you gave millions to the Panthers. This way he can say he is not giving money to anybody. So he is cutting off the conversation before it gets started.

It was reported that JR met with him on Monday, no?

It was reported that JR met with him on Monday, no?

Since he is from Charlotte I figure that makes sense. I am sure JR would take money from the state but I don't think he plans to move if he doesn't get it. Since the majority of the economic benefit goes to Charlotte, I suspect they should pay the lionshares locally.

As for PSLs, yeah it will suck if they move and we are left holding the bag. I hope they don't plan on still using BOA for other events. I have some chairs that I have sat in for years, those puppies are going home with me if they leave.

This is really a non-issue. Richardson didn't ask NC for money. He asked Charlotte to raise sales taxes on hotels and food to pay for it. Just like most politicians looking for publicity and the limelight, he is jumping in to show he isn't going to give money away just as he prepares to gut entitlement programs. That way people can't say you cut medical care to millions of children while you gave millions to the Panthers. This way he can say he is not giving money to anybody. So he is cutting off the conversation before it gets started. Plus being from Mechlenburg he doesn't want to seem as if he is going to push it as some kind of pork barrel. Wouldn't surprise if while he says no, he is having someone else do his dirty work to get the money which he will publically oppose but agree to if everyone else wants to do it,

Richardson met with the Gov and this Tillis guy about 62 million in state funds.

http://www.news-record.com/home/663430-63/panthers-seeking-state-funds-for

I agree that no state fund should go to the team but does this one guy get to make that decision?

Effectively yes. Tillis is the Speaker of the House and the speaker assigns committees and directs bills to those committees and the committees never even have to take up those bills if they choose not to.

Even if a bill makes it through committee the speaker can just ignore it and never bring it to the floor for a vote.

I worked at the NCGA for 4 years and most of the bills that are filed are never even heard or voted on in committee.

Richardson met with the Gov and this Tillis guy about 62 million in state funds.

http://www.news-reco...state-funds-for

Thanks for the update. I still think that it is a non-issue in that the Panthers are not going to move to LA over 62 million when their franchise is worth a billion and is very financially stable. Like I said earlier, this issue is more about not giving sports millions when he plans to go after support programs and basic services through entitlement cuts.

Archived