• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is more important...Luke or Cam?

SIGCHI222

It doesn't surprise me, that Panther fans that haven't had an elite qb til cam, are going to lean towards the quarterback. the Panthers have also been blessed with great linebackers. So they feel it is easy to come across stud middle linebackers. They don't know any different. Ask teams that struggle to field good defense.

A lot of people are gonna say the QB is the most important position, and it's a valid point of view.

My team building philosophy has always been that the lines should be addressed first, so I'll differ some.

But the question is not asking how to build a team. It's wether to choose a high calibur Qb or a high calibur MLB. Obviously both is optimal, but that doesn't answer the hypothetical.

I'm willing to bet you'll find quite a bit higher reg/ playoff win percentage with teams with high calibur Qb but not MLB, then the reverse.

Oh god, late night drunk posting couldn't get any worse.

If you don't think QB is the most important position on the field you need to stop watching football.

Ask the Saints if defense matters (and they had one of the league's best QBs)

But the question is not asking how to build a team. It's wether to choose a high calibur Qb or a high calibur MLB. Obviously both is optimal, but that doesn't answer the hypothetical.

I'm willing to bet you'll find quite a bit higher reg/ playoff win percentage with teams with high calibur Qb but not MLB, then the reverse.

Team building is my framework for the question.

Mind you, there's no way I'd minimize the importance of the QB spot, but I don't like an unbalanced approach to roster building. And like I said, I build from the lines first.

It doesn't surprise me, that Panther fans that haven't had an elite qb til cam, are going to lean towards the quarterback. the Panthers have also been blessed with great linebackers. So they feel it is easy to come across stud middle linebackers. They don't know any different. Ask teams that struggle to field good defense.

So are you trying to say we are wrong in saying QB >>>>> LB?

Newton is far more important than Kuechly. I LOVE Kuechly, don't get me wrong. But QB over MLB all day.

Ask the Saints if defense matters (and they had one of the league's best QBs)

Team building is my framework for the question.

Mind you, there's no way I'd minimize the importance of the QB spot, but I don't like an unbalanced approach to roster building. And like I said, I build from the lines first.

Where is ANYONE in this thread saying defense doesn't matter?

Of course it matters. Doesn't change the fact an elite QB is much more vital to a teams success than an elite MLB. How did San Fran do until they got competent QB play? Or Chicago with Urlacher? Or Washington with Fletcher (albeit he was never elite)? Or Arizona this past season with Daryl Washington? Etc.?

Nobody is saying defense is irrelevant. Merely that QB is a lot more important. And they are right.

Where is ANYONE in this thread saying defense doesn't matter?

Of course it matters. Doesn't change the fact an elite QB is much more vital to a teams success than an elite MLB. How did San Fran do until they got competent QB play? Or Chicago with Urlacher? Or Washington with Fletcher (albeit he was never elite)? Or Arizona this past season with Daryl Washington? Etc.?

Nobody is saying defense is irrelevant. Merely that QB is a lot more important. And they are right.

I always question individual position judgment questions in the context of a team sport, especially at the pro level.

Say you have a great QB? Cool. Stick him with mediocre receivers, a lousy offensive line and crummy backs and congrats, you have Archie Manning.

I don't see this discussion as much different than the ones where people ask if you'd rather have great covers or dominant pass rushers. You need both.

If it's discussion for the heck of it, fine, but it's not very realistic.

Archived