• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Young people and smoking

Darth Biscuit

Here is a link to the CDC fact sheet with some interesting information. http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/

Most telling to me is the education statistics of smokers. Basically, the higher your education, the less likely it is that you smoke.

Smokers by Education:

-45.2% of adults with a GED diploma

• 33.8% of adults with 9–11 years of education
  • 23.8% of adults with a high school diploma
  • 9.9% of adults with an undergraduate college degree
  • 6.3% of adults with a postgraduate college degree

Many people start smoking when they're young out of curiosity. Then it doesn't take too long then they're hooked. I'm a smoker of almost 10 years now and enjoy it. Unfortunately, all of these ridiculous chemicals that are put into cigarettes now make it even more dangerous.

I'm slowly getting into these e-cigs, but god they taste horrible.

So there are fewer and it is getting better, but the rate of change has slowed significantly.

I did some work for RJ Reynolds many years ago. Went to their offices in Winston-Salem. EVERYBODY, and I mean EVERYBODY, smoked. Ashtrays all over the place. It was like living on a different planet.

my wife smokes...did when I met her so who am I to tell her to quit...although I try to encourage her to do so!

I talk to my 12 year old on a very regular basis on how bad cigarettes are and how easy it is to become addicted and that just because mom does it, doesn't mean you have to. So far she still thinks it's disgusting and I really hope it stays that way!

Easiest way to quit is to never start!

I did some work for RJ Reynolds many years ago. Went to their offices in Winston-Salem. EVERYBODY, and I mean EVERYBODY, smoked. Ashtrays all over the place. It was like living on a different planet.

I couldn't take it... first two years we were in business we had an older guy that did some sales for us and he was a smoker...

I couldn't even stand for him to come to the office. Everything he had, computer bag, files, briefcase, trade show stuff, everything... reeked of old cigarette smoke. Made me want to puke.

Many people start smoking when they're young out of curiosity. Then it doesn't take too long then they're hooked. I'm a smoker of almost 10 years now and enjoy it. Unfortunately, all of these ridiculous chemicals that are put into cigarettes now make it even more dangerous.

I'm slowly getting into these e-cigs, but god they taste horrible.

buy better ones, the higher quality e-cigs (evo-T and such) with good juice from places like indigo vapor taste really good. The low end ones taste like absolute garbage.

check out some of the ecig forums... don't buy the crap from the gas station.

I couldn't take it... first two years we were in business we had an older guy that did some sales for us and he was a smoker...

I couldn't even stand for him to come to the office. Everything he had, computer bag, files, briefcase, trade show stuff, everything... reeked of old cigarette smoke. Made me want to puke.

As soon as you walked in the lobby there, it hit you like a wall. It was the early days of the "attack" on smoking, and they were in denial mode. During meetings they'd wonder how many hours of productivity were lost by forcing people to go outside to smoke, instead of pondering higher health care costs, etc. They didn't see anything wrong with smoking at all. It was really weird.

Its easy to try one when you're drunk and hanging around smokers. And once you try one, its not really a logical decision anymore

I got to the point where I was craving a cig every time I went out, so I stopped. Havent smoked any tobacco for a couple years now (outside the occasional spliff), but I still get a craving every now and then

Outside of the addiction factor, I have no idea what the appeal is - I'm 29 and smoking was an immediate deal-breaker when I was younger and dating. Played in a band for years and never understood the appeal, especially after hocking black crud the morning after a few particularly smoky shows. We've all seen pictures of smokers' lungs, and at my last job I occasionally isolated human lung proteins from lung tissue donated by smokers; even after centrifugation and purification the protein suspensions themselves were literally blakcish-grey, thick, and smelled of smoke. Nasty stuff.

i've never legit smoked but if i have a long-ass hard-ass beat-ass night at the bar where i've been going for twelve hours straight and the shift ends and the other bartenders are out back smoking i'll join them and drag one down for the hell of it. it's never been addictive for me though.

Archived