• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2013 NFL draft: Jonathan Cyprien working out for Panthers

CamNewton316

Me either. I like him more than Barron and supposedly we loved him last year.

Edit: I'd be pretty ok with Swearinger in the second if we don't grab Cyprien. I like him quite a bit as well.

I agree. I love Cyprien more than Barron. IMO, Barron has better coverage skills but Cyprien is more athletic. Both very solid tacklers, but Cyprien is more vicious.

I just don't know if I would want Swearinger in the 2nd. I much rather go Cyprien 14 and a DT like Short at 44. Or the other way around, if somehow Cyprien falls to 44.

I'm finding projections from early-mid March of him going in the second round. What did he do to become top 15 now?

Hes clearly a 1st rounder. Maybe not top15, but def a 1st. Barron wasn't considered a top10 last season. When Draft day came, he became one. Safety is clearly our biggest need since last offseason. Rivera wanted Barron all along. I would not be surprised if we went Cyprien or Vaccaro at 14.

I am not dumb enough to think that Rivera is going into the season with Campbell or Mitchell as the starting FS. Chico knows that the safety position is a huge need, and I really think that this is the year he address that position.

They've mentioned Godfrey is our FS. Plus, Cyprien is a SS.

He could very well be our pick at 14. This would be a huge secondary boost and a key defensive position to find a guy to come in and play here for a while like we found in Kuechly last season.

They've mentioned Godfrey is our FS. Plus, Cyprien is a SS.

He could very well be our pick at 14. This would be a huge secondary boost and a key defensive position to find a guy to come in and play here for a while like we found in Kuechly last season.

Exactly, that's why. I'm positive that Chico is not going into the season with Campbell or Mitchell, who I think is a camp body as our starting SS. That's why Cyprien at 14 or with a trade back makes perfect sense. At this time last year, no one saw Kuechly bring our pick or Mark Barron being Rivera's top guy. Cyprien could def be the pick.

I'm finding projections from early-mid March of him going in the second round. What did he do to become top 15 now?

its not so much what he did, aside from giving good performances at the senior bowl and combine which drew a lot of attention to him...it's that people have paid more attention to him and realized that his size, speed/agility, vision, tackling, and football IQ, would be a good fit for most teams. it's kind of like with silatolu last year. went kind of unnoticed by many early on, but then you had more and more people notice and that pushed him up the boards.

for small school players, it takes longer to get noticed so there's a bit of a delay in their climb up draft boards. fortunately more people are noticing and are less skittish about taking them...esp. with improved player evaluation and scouting.

It's like every year. He's probably been a 1st round guy on most team's draft boards. Eventually the real boards leek to Mel Kiper and that's when everybody starts asking where the guy came from.

He'd always been there but the talking heads take forever or dont' know what they're talking about. How many mocks a few years ago had the Jimmy in the 2nd round yet every single team passed on him.

Archived