• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cat Scratch Reader's Mock Draft

BigBeezy

I was going to do another mock draft but James Dator of Cat Scratch Reader posted a mock today that was almost identical to my selections.

http://www.catscratc...s-one-month-out

I love the first two picks and the Brennan Williams pick.

Thoughts?

1st round (14th overall): Keenan Allen, WR -- California

It seems that each year wide receivers fall into one of two camps: There are the players who consistently remained at the top of the board all year, and the guys who get late hype. It may be risky pegging Allen here before his April 9th pro day, but he was consistently the top-rated receiver this year, and fell off the map solely because of injury. Like A.J. Green and Justin Blackmon before him, there are plenty of questions whether other players have more upside -- but in the end it's moot. I think he'll be Carolina's pick, and the first receiver off the board.

2nd round (44th overall): Kawann Short, DT -- Purdue

Many mocks drafts have Short falling to a playoff team in the back-end of the first round. For this to happen would mean at least four defensive tackles were selected before him. This is a deep draft at the position, and I'm not convinced five teams in the first round will all takes tackles -- which pushes Short to Carolina. He may not be much of a penetrating pass rusher, but he's an effort rusher who also displays fantastic ability to stop the run. Sit him for a year behind Dwan Edwards, and he'll have the time to develop some of his skills.

4th round (108th overall): Alvin Bailey, OG -- Arkansas

While Bailey may be unrefined technically, his power is unmistakable. He's not a perfect prospect, and there's some work to be done -- however Bailey has the natural talent to become a long-term right guard, provided the coaching staff can teach him.

5th round (148th overall): Brennan Williams, OT -- North Carolina

This is an incredibly difficult player to project. With the exception of Terron Armstead, perhaps no offensive tackle has more upside that Williams. However, this is due to the fact that he's very flawed technically right now. If Williams is given a season to sit and learn (also recover from his torn labrum) then the Panthers could have a future right tackle waiting in the wings.

6th round (182nd overall): Sanders Commings, CB -- Georgia

Hit with the classic 'tweener' moniker, it will be on Commings to show he can do it. I believe his future is at strong safety, despite entering the draft at the CB position. He's a physical player, who struggled in coverage -- and to this end he could be a depth SS with some upside.

This would be a really good draft. Although 14 is just to high for all the WR's in this draft.

I really like Short and think he is the best UT in the draft. Not sure what that dude is talking about when he said Short doesnt get penetration. He had 7 sacks and a ton of TFL. Better than all the other DT's stats.

I like Williams and think he has good potential.

I too think Cummings is a much better safety prospect, and had he played there in college would be a 2-4 round pick imo

Best case scenarios

A) Lane Johnson falls

B )Trade back

C) Star falls

D) Reach on a WR at 14

Id almost rather forego a WR in the 1st and 2nd and sure up out DL with Williams/Jenkins & Short.

Can Short play NT? I've read in places that he can, but he's also described as an "underachiever" who "takes plays off". Would a position switch to NT exacerbate those tendencies?

Would really really rather have a space-filling, run-stopping NT than another UT.

he's also described as an "underachiever" who "takes plays off".

That's literally said about almost every DT prospect in the history of the draft. DT is probably the most physically demanding position in the game and the players there are usually bigger and stronger than they are athletic, so "taking plays off" is just a product of the position. You don't want guys that routinely take plays off, but if a guy has been noticed to take a play off every now and then at DT it's not a big deal in my opinion. The only upper round prospect DT I've noticed that *might* have a concern with this is Sylvester Williams, but even then it's not really a big deal. Probably won't be an issue in the NFL.

This may very well be the perfect draft if it wasnt for the lack of a safety. Nab one (no, a real one who can play) and we're set.

I agree. The mock I was gonna do had us with the same picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 5th but a safety in the 4th. But I can't really argue with taking 2 OLs, can never have too many blockers.

Can Short play NT? I've read in places that he can, but he's also described as an "underachiever" who "takes plays off". Would a position switch to NT exacerbate those tendencies?

Would really really rather have a space-filling, run-stopping NT than another UT.

Yes he can play NT. That's the thing I like about Short as well as Sylvester Williams is their versatility. Short can and has played almost every position along the DL including NT (1-tech), 3-tech, and 5-tech.

Also, I wouldn't classify Short as an underachiever. He was highly productive every year at Purdue, probably the most productive DT in the draft. The issue with Short, like many young DL, is that he has a tendency to take plays off, which is why he's not a sure fire 1st rounder, but a lot of that had to do with the amount of plays he played. He played around 75 plays a game at 320 pounds, never coming off the field.

Since the season ended, he's trimmed down to about 300-305 but he has a thick, strong lower body that will allow him to hold up at the point of attack when lined up at NT. He's also athletic enough to give you a nice push to collapse the pocket on passing downs.

If he falls to us at 44, I wouldn't at all surprised to see Short starting at the NT as a rookie with Dwan Edwards at the 3-tech. Short could move to the 3-tech permanently once Edwards is gone.

Oh and it definitely won't take a year for Short to see the field. They'll be an adjustment period that all rookies go through, especially DL, but Short is already 24 so he'll be a little older than your typical rookie, same with Sly Williams and a few other DL prospects.

Archived