• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft: Best available player or...

DangerClose

Target a specific position?

Let's say you're G-dizzle. What do you do?

Obviously we signed depth with FA so...rounds 1 and 2 are extremely important for making an immediate impact next year. No projects to develop. We need starters right away.

Best available says we draft a WR

Position target says we draft a DT or S.

I still think O-line needs to be looked at and there are some really good picks available in the first, with some probably dropping to the second. Which position would you address and why?

Best available really depends on how draft day goes, it's pretty impossible to tell.

If Star falls? DT is BPA.

If Warmack is there (which I truly do think he will be), OL is BPA.

I'd actually say that WR is one of the weaker 1st round positions. There are tons of guys that are late 1st-early 2nd quality guys, but no real can't miss guys.

I personally want us to go trenches both rounds - ideally, I'd LOVE Warmack in the first and Jesse Williams in the second, or Star (if he falls) in the first and Warford/BPA OL in the second.

The answer is BPA, and honestly, I don't see how anyone can say anything else. It's what the good teams do to win - actually look at the history of the draft. It's also what Gettleman has said we'll do, and our FA moves are setting it up. Obviously, BPA has SOME clauses. We won't be drafting a QB, RB and probably not a LB. But all other positions are free game.

BPA at a position of need. And WR, in my opinion, most certainly won't be BPA. Position of need or otherwise. The top WRs are getting bumped up a LOT because of how thin the top end talent at WR is in this draft. It's heavy at the low first/high second range, but there aren't any that would be worth a mid to upper first in a normal year with actual potentially elite WRs.

BPA at a position of need will most likely be a DT, OL or *maybe* Vaccaro (I'm not sold on him). I'd rather have Vaccaro than Patterson or Austin though.

BPA at a position of need will most likely be a DT, OL or *maybe* Vaccaro (I'm not sold on him). I'd rather have Vaccaro than Patterson or Austin though.

i can totally see this. i'm high on vaccaro too. i think he would be the best pick for us if available

It's easy to say BPA, but if the BPA were a QB, RB or MLB nobody would expect us to take that player. So that means anybody who says BPA either doesn't really mean BPA or they are wrong. Having said that, I would identify our 2-3 biggest positions of need and take the BPA out of those particular players.

I personally want us to go trenches both rounds - ideally, I'd LOVE Warmack in the first and Jesse Williams in the second, or Star (if he falls) in the first and Warford/BPA OL in the second.

100% agree

Of course BPA to some extent has to be at a position that is not clogged with stars already but last year for example linebacker was not a big need in most people's opinion. I thought it was given I said Beason would struggle and I wasn't sold on Davis returning(glad to be wrong on that one). But still he was definitely the BPA and some thought best player on the defensive side of the ball in the whole draft.

The thing is we can pick BPA and still draft at a position of need given that every team's lists of BPA vary by how they value each position. While it is true that often quarterbacks get taken very high, many feel they are artificially elevated because they are a quarterback but they aren't the BPA in the draft at the position they are taken. We won't for example take a QB at 14, but it would be hard to suggest that any QB this year is the BPA at this position. Many folks that when we took Cam number 1, he was a low round 1 pick who we reached for because we wanted a QB.

This year is not clear cut. Most of the strength in this draft is the depth of players throughout the draft and very few marquee players at the top. We could go a number of directions and still pick BPA.

Drafting a DT in the first round is like watching Marty Hurney make a second round pick, it will be painful, infuriating, confusing and disappointing. There are no bonified stars in this crop of DT's it's not as if Nagta or Suh is sitting there. Any DT we draft will instantly be a 2-3 year project and this place will come unglued the minute our run d gets gashed or we go 2 preseason games and don't hear his name called. Be careful wat you wish for all you DT prognosticators.

(Side note) if we do happen to draft a DT in the first I will love him just the same as every other panther player.

Archived