• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jordan says Charlotte Hornets "sounds good"

Zod

I don't hate the Bobcats name because of Bob Johnson. I hated the Bobcats name before I even knew who Bob Johnson was or what color he was. The Bobcats is just a terrible name. Jordan could rename the team to the Charlotte Air Jordans and I'd like it better than the Bobcats. The logo could be a fuging shoe and I'd like it better than the Bobcats.

Quit feeding the troll KT, he's made his agenda clear; he tries to make every argument about black vs. white even when the entire Bobcats front office is full of different nationality's: Cho, Jordan, Higgins, Whitfield etc...

The fact is that people want the Hornets name because it reminds them of their childhood and the good days when Charlotte basketball didn't suck balls.

Also that argument that we are more enamored with the name than the product on the court doesn't work. We have no control over what the front office does regarding player movement, but you better believe that John and Co. were very influential in helping get the Hornets name back (if it indeed happens). Still on the subject of the product on the court, you must have not gotten the letter that Higgins and Co. sent to the season ticket holders guaranteeing that the Bobcats will very active in the offseason.

For a guy that seems to be in love with Bob Johnson's Cat's, it's really telling that you didn't even bother getting season tickets.

Oh by the way, can we get a new mod for the basketball forum? We actually want a Hornets fan to be in charge.

johnson_910626_350.jpg

LJ, point to the best post in this thread.

i'm looking forward to the name being changed away from the bobcats for the simple reason that it will once and for all be fuging finished. so tired of this conversation. i just want the team to represent the entire city and be embraced and moved forward and become successful. that. is. all.

And once we take "our team back" that will no longer be the case. It's odd you point this out when this used to be one of the main talking points of why he hated Bob Johnson. The front office was "too black", the stadium had too much of a "hip hop" atmosphere were all arguments used why people shouldnt support the Bobcats and hate Bob Johnson for them. Im confident once we start gentrifying the Bobcats name, the front office will be next. And Im confident "Hornets fans" will act like Gerald Wallace never played here, the Bobcats never existed, and that all the Hornets controversies and leaving the city never happened. It'll be revisionism at its finest, thats the culture.

The fact is people have bitched about the Bobcats name for the last 5 years because they think its named after a rich black person who has no ties to NC whatsoever. It so bothers them that their city's team could be named after a rich black person that they want the team to dump millions of dollars into changing it. Bobcats is "too black" "too ethnic" and that bothers people. Where I see a blue and orange cat, they see Bob Johnson's face. Next we can gentrify the African American Cultural Center. Or rename MLK Blvd. Or ask Barack Obama to change his name, assimilate to us, so he'll feel more like "our President". The Bobcats were an idea of a basketball team for EVERYBODY in this market, the Hornets are only gonna be geared towards one group. Its for them only, and so many people are gonna be left out. Not everyone in this market is from Charlotte, not everyone in this market thinks watching the Hornets get beat in the 1st round in the 90s is their greatest basketball thrill.

LMAO@John & Company having influence. How much money have they put up? 0. This is begging and posturing in one of the worst sports markets of the last 5 years in both sports.

They send that letter out every offseason. Panthers do the same thing.

I guess all the fans in Cali on this board really dont love the Panthers since they dont have season tickets to the games. Ive had season tickets in the past, and been just as rabid when i have not. Stupid argument, do better.

Might as well, we're taking the "soul" out of our basketball team so it can feel like "Charlotte" and be boring and lifeless like so many things here. Why not take the "soul" out of the basketball forum and make it lifeless too?

- Quit making poo up, no one has ever accused the team of being too black. Racism still exists but it isn't as prevalent you make it out to be, especially in Charlotte where there are people from literally every culture. Charlotte is essentially the melting pot of the South. You might be the most bigoted person I have ever come across. Gerald Wallace was the heart and sole of this team and in a lot of people's eye's he will always be resembled with Charlotte basketball, regardless of name.

- People don't like the Bobcats name because it sounds like a f*cking high school team, no one could care less who the hell founded the team. The Hornets name is iconic because it dates back to the Revolutionary War and is one of the most vintage names in professional basketball. The fact that you think that the Hornets are going to be geared to only white people makes you a RACIST. I guess you think they are going to cut Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo etc... and infest the team with Jimmer Fredette's and Adam Morrison's, for once think with your head and quit being so narrow minded.

- You do realize people have tried to get the Hornets name back before John did, right? Or are you to enamored with the Lakers and the West Coast life (a team that is known for it's number of Caucassion players... http://www.theroot.c...ble-not-problem). However, John took it to the next level and got others involved with him. If John doesn't start the fire, then the flame never gets lit.

- Teams and especially the Bobcats have not sent out letters guaranteeing moves in the offseason before, get your facts straight.

- Finally, if Charlotte is boring to you; then get the f*ck out. We don't need people like you that bring racism into everything. Charlotte is synonymous with the Hornets and the city deserves to get its' name back.

- We as fans will be forever grateful for Bob Johnson bringing basketball back to the Charlotte, because to be honest; the Charlotte Hornets would have never happened without Bob Johnson committing to the Queen City and bringing basketball back...

Come at me!

To follow up my previous post, I wanted to make one thing clear to you KT. I try not to post often (unless there is a game) during the semester because I'm too busy with work, class, etc... But if I see someone (you in this instance) attacking the people of Charlotte with words especially false racism claims and then attacking the city of Charlotte itself, the city that I so dearly love; you better believe I will confront you and call you out on it.

I'm sure you are a good guy at heart, but I'd be mistaken if I didn't tell you that your priorities are all out of whack.

To follow up my previous post, I wanted to make one thing clear to you KT. I try not to post often (unless there is a game) during the semester because I'm too busy with work, class, etc... But if I see someone (you in this instance) attacking the people of Charlotte with words especially false racism claims and then attacking the city of Charlotte itself, the city that I so dearly love; you better believe I will confront you and call you out on it.

I'm sure you are a good guy at heart, but I'd be mistaken if I didn't tell you that your priorities are all out of whack.

ryan-point-agree-the-office.gif

I thought the mods were banning race baiters? Get over yourself KT, it's about the name. People mostly dislike Bob cause of stupid choices like the TV station and things like that. Stop with the racist crap.

Although I still think KT is a mod troll anyway.

Archived