• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Future Cap Space? Keeping our Core

Catalyst

We should have the cap space for the right people when Gettle cuts Williams and Beason. We have bolstered both those lines for that exact reason. Also there is a reason Alexander is on this team. Hardy probly want be kept because we can't cut CJ for awhile.

I disagree DE's and Lt's are still gonna be must keeps.

DE's are a must have....not must keep.

It is why steadily adding diverse talent is key.....b/c you screw yourself if you don't.  For example, we got too bogged down on certain spots.  RB for example, it hurts our cap AND has limited bringing in at other spots.

I disagree DE's and Lt's are still gonna be must keeps.

then welcome to an eternity at the cap hell motel. your room is waiting for you.

everyone is replaceable, except maybe cam and keek and even then we shouldn't be afraid to let them walk if they get too greedy.

I think it's reasonable to expect Beason and D-Will to be gone next year which should free up enough cash for Hardy.  With his background with the Giants and how he built this draft, I think he will place a premium on the DLine so I think just assuming we lose Hardy and/or CJ is too big of an assumption.

As stated above, keep Cam, Keuchly, the DLine, and at least a few offensive weapons at a premium and just fill in your holes with serviceable players later.

I think we're all forgetting that you can build a team with highly-paid players when those highly-paid players are in the right positions.  We are in cap hell because Hurney overpaid non-premium positions (RB & LB), not because he paid CJ.

There's also going to be a dramatic spike in the salary cap when the next television deal hits, so as long as you don't overpay role-players in positions where you can plugin journeymen, we should be able to keep the core of this team together.

I think it's reasonable to expect Beason and D-Will to be gone next year which should free up enough cash for Hardy.  With his background with the Giants and how he built this draft, I think he will place a premium on the DLine so I think just assuming we lose Hardy and/or CJ is too big of an assumption.

As stated above, keep Cam, Keuchly, the DLine, and at least a few offensive weapons at a premium and just fill in your holes with serviceable players later.

I think we're all forgetting that you can build a team with highly-paid players when those highly-paid players are in the right positions.  We are in cap hell because Hurney overpaid non-premium positions (RB & LB), not because he paid CJ.

There's also going to be a dramatic spike in the salary cap when the next television deal hits, so as long as you don't overpay role-players in positions where you can plugin journeymen, we should be able to keep the core of this team together.

Too much Hardy talk....what we should be hoping for is Frank Alexander to keep trending upward.

Too much Hardy talk....what we should be hoping for is Frank Alexander to keep trending upward.

When you draft a physical specimen in the 6th round and hope he pans out....then he pans out....QUICK cut him and hope someone else works out!

When you draft a physical specimen in the 6th round and hope he pans out....then he pans out....QUICK cut him and hope someone else works out!

Who said anything about not wanting Hardy to work out or to cut him.

We NEED Frank Alexnader to work out.  Otherwise, if Hardy has another big season and not much else is happening.....Hardy will be tough to keep b/c of Johnson.

Frank Alexander actually could be a key in keeping Hardy.  Like I said, we need more Frank talk and more hopes he trends upwards and continues to earn time.

I actually think NY is too often now used for comparisons....but to do just that....there is a reason why the NYGs have been able to hang to so many DEs and negotiate and have a nice rotation.  B/c they haven't allowed themselves to be forced to start overpaying. 

agreed. if we can't re-sign him, it's largely due to CJs outrageous contract. we went way overboard and paid a lot more than any other team would have and we put ourselves in a cap pickle because of it.

we can't overvalue that position, esp. at the expense of others. we can't pay over market value for any position.

Yep. And people wonder why we have so many holes and no money to grab Free Agents. We cannot shell out two monster contracts to Hardy and CJ at one position while Cam's contract is coming up and we have holes galore on this team. Hardy is a monster and I will miss him if this happens but you can't build a team like that.

Well one thing some fans are going to have to accept is, the days of overpaying are over.

After how Gettleman played hardball with resigning Munnerlyn, you can see a glimpse of what's in store.

He will pay for the guys he feels we need, but he will make a fair offer that will not cripple the team.

only two must haves....cam and luke.

everyone else is replaceable.

even with that, don't pay over market value for anyone.

Agreed.

Not so sure Hurney thought beyond the current year with regard to cap management. Maybe he tried to, but just wasn't very good at it.

Archived