• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would be we better off without DeAngelo?

Catalyst

If you elimanate all Saints games Stewart was NOT impressive. Unfortunately, Williams was statistically worse though.

Time to move on emotionally from Double Trouble. It isn't what we are about...

Stewart was terrible in every other game but Washington.

If you eliminated the New Orleans games (which I think is silly, but I will play along) their stats are pretty similar.

The difference is as I noted earlier, D-Will had 7 games out of 16 with which he had a YPC  over 4.0.

Stewart had 2 out of 9 games with a YPC over 4.0.

So their stats were similar, but maybe Stewart was a smidge better.  but in D- Will was more productive on a game to game basis, whereas Stewart consistently struggled, and actually had 0 really good games and his season high for a game was 51 yards.

Also D-Will averaged more yards per catch (9.2 to 14.4) so I guess he was a more explosive player in the passing game as well.

Stewart was terrible in every other game but Washington.

If you eliminated the New Orleans games (which I think is silly, but I will play along) their stats are pretty similar.

The difference is as I noted earlier, D-Will had 7 games out of 16 with which he had a YPC over 4.0.

Stewart had 2 out of 9 games with a YPC over 4.0.

So their stats were similar, but maybe Stewart was a smidge better. but in D- Will was more productive on a game to game basis, whereas Stewart consistently struggled, and actually had 0 really good games and his season high for a game was 51 yards.

Also D-Will averaged more yards per catch (9.2 to 14.4) so I guess he was a more explosive player in the passing game as well.

Again, no one is claiming Stewart impressed.

But again, take out the Saints...Stewart was a better runner when on the field.

Neither impressed last year.

Neither have earned a year of their extension. Won't happen unless something bad happens....and if something bad happens we ain't making noise anyway

The RB position is defintely better having both DWill and Stewart from merely a talent perspective

Factor in the other areas that could be improved with the money being spent on the RB position and overall team would definitely be better investing the money elsewhere....WR, OL, DB

Great answer.

IMO, you have one question to ask yourself. Is he worth the SALARY you are paying him?

Some, like me, think this is a tough question for Gettlemen.

Does he trust Stewy enough to let DWill go? Or does he believe there is life after DWill?

Great stuff.

Think about this...even if we win the damn Super Bowl with Williams as our featured back, we cannot afford to keep him the life of his contract.  How many players under 26 years old do you have to have on your team's roster, that you want to retain do you have to have to understand that a 30 year old running back is expendable?

Again, no one is claiming Stewart impressed.

But again, take out the Saints...Stewart was a better runner when on the field.

Neither impressed last year.

Neither have earned a year of their extension. Won't happen unless something bad happens....and if something bad happens we ain't making noise anyway

They stats are virtually identical without the Saints games and Williams was a more effective runner in more games.

1 rushing TD in 9 games and never getting over 51 yards is not better because his YPC is slightly higher.

I mean if we are strictly basing this off of YPC than you would have to admit that Bernard Pierce is a much more productive RB than Arian Foster because Pierce averaged 4.9 YPC and Arian Foster averaged a measly 4.1 YPC.

Is that your position?

D-Will impacted more games that Stewart last season.

Oh and just a caveat for anybody who's expressing their lack of faith in Stewart as this month's reason to justify overpaying DeAngelo to meander to 700 yards: Stewart was pretty much battling injuries the entire season to his toe and both ankles. It's no surprise his production was meager.

Oh and just a caveat for anybody who's expressing their lack of faith in Stewart as this month's reason to justify overpaying DeAngelo to meander to 700 yards: Stewart was pretty much battling injuries the entire season to his toe and both ankles. It's no surprise his production was meager.

Has he been battling that for 3 seasons?  Because he only has 7 TDs in his last 39 games

i dont understand the discredit d will gets for the saints game, he usually does really good against them anyway. Both rb's sucked last year the only way to find out if it was due to an aging DW is to see how he fares this season, but if there's a guy in FA that is a must have by all means do what needs to be done, unfortunately i don't see a guy in FA. the offensive line didn't help either RB last year and towards the end of the season we saw less of that read option bs.......so let's see what we have this year before we jump the gun.

They stats are virtually identical without the Saints games and Williams was a more effective runner in more games.

1 rushing TD in 9 games and never getting over 51 yards is not better because his YPC is slightly higher.

I mean if we are strictly basing this off of YPC than you would have to admit that Bernard Pierce is a much more productive RB than Arian Foster because Pierce averaged 4.9 YPC and Arian Foster averaged a measly 4.1 YPC.

Is that your position?

D-Will impacted more games that Stewart last season.

Stats are very similar....Stewart techncially the better runner.

My postion is it is insane for a backup RB to take up 8.2 million in cap space. That is exacty what Williams is....

and the "well if Stewart goes down angle" is comical.....what if Cam goes down, what if Smith goes down, what if Gross go down....none of the more important positions have a 8.2 million dollar backup.

Williams did a lot more nothing....than of something last year. Again, this is a backup RB....paid like he is Adrian Peterson carrying an offense. Sad we have to discuss such a thing

Stats are very similar....Stewart techncially the better runner.

My postion is it is insane for a backup RB to take up 8.2 million in cap space. That is exacty what Williams is....

and the "well if Stewart goes down angle" is comical.....what if Cam goes down, what if Smith goes down, what if Gross go down....none of the more important positions have a 8.2 million dollar backup.

Williams shouldn't be a back up and I thought we made a bad choice when we demoted him last season.

But my original point was that if we cut him it would be better for us cap wise but we will be a worse team for it on Sundays next season.

He is under appreciated because of his contract and that isn't his fault.

Has he been battling that for 3 seasons?  Because he only has 7 TDs in his last 39 games

seeing as how he had more all-purpose yards than DeAngelo the year before and ranked 4th overall in the entire league in DYAR in 2011 I would suggest before you type anything else that sounds retarded to go and have someone cut your hands off with a miter saw to remove all temptation.

Despite being demoted this season and struggling for a good part of the season, D-Will had more TDs this season than Stewart the last two seasons combined.

He also had as many TD receptions than Stewart has had in the last two seasons combined.

I could do this all night  lol  :)

That is simply because of the redzone offense we play. Last year it went to Newton or Tolbert. The year before it was solely Newton and we loved to use Shockey. Stewart not having TD is a weak argument.

Overall, I am a much bigger #28 fan than #34, and with the price involved, cutting Williams would be fine in my opinion.

Despite being demoted this season and struggling for a good part of the season, D-Will had more TDs this season that Stewart the last two seasons combined.

He also had as many TD receptions that Stewart has had in the last two seasons combined.

I could do this all night  lol  :)

Yea I agree that circular logic is your M.O.

Archived