• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil and Mike Rucker at Fort Bragg.....player safety

TheRumGone

The Carolina Panthers did more than just hold an NFL Play 60 event for the kids at Fort Bragg, N.C., on Tuesday. They also tried to change the concussion culture on the U.S. Army base.

An NFL Network crew was there to watch the Panthers conduct a workout for base children, then talk with soldiers about concussion awareness. The visit was part of the NFL’s partnership with the U.S. Army to share information on concussions.The Panthers said some of the biggest issues they face on the field is getting teammates to take head injuries seriously.

“I can have my ankle replaced, I can have my hip replaced, but the brain can’t do a transplant, and that’s what really turned the light on for me that I needed to take this serious,” former Panthers defensive end Mike Rucker said.

Added Panthers center Ryan Kalil: “I think the NFL and the Army have done an incredible job being at the forefront of this. It’s helping to kill the stigma of that you’re not tough if you don’t carry on or don’t continue.”

The players said they want to start early to help convince the next generation that it’s OK to sit out after sustaining a head injury. “This isn’t going to be something that happens overnight,” Kalil said. “But when you look 10, 15, 20 years from now, hopefully you’ll have seen a big difference in that culture and it’s changed.”

Here's the video

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/Carolina-Panthers-emphasize-safety-to-soldiers-kids-at-Fort-Bragg?ref=10267

How do they plan on "changing the concussion culture?"

Put rubber mats on every drop zone?

You can't be serious. The epidemic in the NFL past, was to just shake it off and go back in. Their trying to change the culture of the "tough man" stereotype.  That's what the whole talk was about.

I was talking about Fort Bragg. The home of 82nd Airborne? Paratroopers? Jumping out of airplanes?

Lots and lots of concussions.

Now if you meant treatment, I understand. But concussions themselves aren't ending anytime soon at Fort Bragg.

I was talking about Fort Bragg. The home of 82nd Airborne? Paratroopers? Jumping out of airplanes?

Lots and lots of concussions.

Now if you meant treatment, I understand. But concussions themselves aren't ending anytime soon at Fort Bragg.

This wasn't a preventative measure talk.  It was about not trying to be a hard-ass and fight through it if you get one. Changing the culture of the hard man image. Did you watch the videos?

I thought it was interesting that some of those soldiers have never never deployed and have no idea the effects an IED can have on the brain. Nonetheless I comend the Panthers and the NFL for their partnership with the service and concerns with brain injury.

I understand where you coming from,however, I don't believe you need to deploy to see the profound effects of concussions or brain damage sustained to understand the seriousness of TBI and PTSD. Before I deployed on the first of my two tours to Afghanistan, I seen the effects first hand...as my brother whose also on active duty (Army) suffers from injuries sustained in Iraq.

Never the less, I believe it was a nice event here on Fort Bragg.

Keep Pounding.

Archived