• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Proposed I-77 toll lane

captfluoro

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I just found out about it today.  They want to add a toll road from Brookshire up to Exit 36 in Mooresville at a cost of $550 million instead of continuing a general purpose third lane in each direction from around Exit 18 up to 36.  I live at Exit 25 and the commute north everyday is getting worse, but I'm not going to pay to drive to and from work everyday.  I think this stinks.  Here's a link to a group opposed to this.

http://wideni77.org/

One of the politicians against the toll says there already is $170 million put aside for the project.  The proposed cost for the toll road from Charlotte to Mooresville would cost $550 million, but to add an extra lane each way from where they are to Mooresville would cost $100 million.  That's from Robert Brawley, state representative from Iredell.  Plus he claims the toll roads would have a 50 year contract attached to them.

If I'm understanding your previous post, the NC reps are proposing a new tax on hybrid vehicles because said vehicles use less gas.

It's not suprising because the GOP is anti-hybrid/fuel efficiency.  I wonder why that is.

Gasoline tax is levied to pay for highway construction and upkeep.  If you're not spending money on gas yet STILL using the highways...how do you suppose state government charges for its use.

Archived