• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Latest xBox live CNet release

g5jamz

Ouch..

So you couldn't even borrow a friends game.

That's brutal.

From the way it's being worded right now by MS, yep. 

The system has a mandatory install and is tied to your xbox live account. If the game is recognized as used, there will be a pop up that requires a fee to allow the game to be installed on the system.  Once the game is installed you no longer need the disk to run the game. 

Read that it's possible the developer can choose to allow used games (with fee) or to not allow at all.  Probably why EA went away with online passes.  I'm at work so most stuff is blocked but I also read EA has exclusive deal with Xbox?

No the EA thing wasn't an exclusive deal at all, it was just for a feature in FIFA 14 (the team card game thing) 

As for the fee for used games, I've seen anything about it being developer controlled. It's the game has to be installed and the game disk and install are tied into the user's xbox live account. The used game fee is being charged by MS from what they told wired. I'll copy and paste the information from it. 

There is a way around it though according to MS.

It works like this, the game has to be installed to your HD to work as games require HD install. If you trade the game in, once the new user installs that disk. it deactivates and uninstalls from the first user's HD. 

Means that if you borrow a game from someone, the only way you can play it with out paying the fee is for your friend to loose their install on their particular system. 

@@MrJonty

On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install.

So not sure, what's going on with that. The interview with Wired was directly from xbox and the european xbox mag editor has never heard of the fee or anything like that..... 

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

I'll post the major points.

Q:    Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
A:    No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Q:    Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games? 
A:    We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

Q:   Why require Kinect with every Xbox One?
A:    The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform.  By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.

Quit complaining this is cool poo

Umm? What's exactly cool about the TV feature's and NFL features requiring an additional attachment.  Forced Game installs, forced Kinect use and a forced internet connection? (It requires an internet connection, but doesn't have to always be online") If it has Gddr3 memory as currently specd, it creates a bottleneck from hell on the system power. The unknown issue with used games and how that mess works.. No mention of processor speed "which is worrisome because if it was high powered, they'd announced it."  Controller still uses AA batteries (4 of them is the word right now) 

I mean unless you like the TV features this was a pretty bad announcement, nothing major from the game department and they went light on the specs being announced. 

Right off hand has a serious gamer and techie, The kinect being mandatory, gddr3 memory and no announcement of processor speed are major issues for the system. The controller still using antique batteries and needing an additional accessory (charge pack and cable) is pretty bad as well.

The system itself looks like a DVR top set box and looks to be about the same size as the original PS3 system. 

The coolest thing they mentioned was Azura Cloud computing. Meaning that developers can use more power then what the system has available by moving some processes to a cloud server. Oh and depending on how it's implemented the changing and evolving achievements could be pretty cool if your into achievements and trophies. 

The cloud computing was seriously the most interesting thing mentioned about the new system. I went from getting a xbox one to not getting one with this set of press conferences. MS will have to have one hell of an E3 to get non casual gamers back in the fold. 

I will end this on an interesting and more positive note. I think it's very interesting on how Sony and MS are differing on approach this next generation. MS is relying on COD to stay a major seller while Sony is backing Destiny.  "I'm talking about the exclusive content and early release period for Destiny on PS3/PS4 and COD ghost on xbox one" 

Yea sorry, but Gddr3 RAM, and no mention of processor speed makes this console seriously suspect when it comes to a "Next Gen" console.  I'll buy one eventually because I'm a gamer and want to play all the exclusives, but I worry if M$ is putting too many eggs into the "all in one entertainment system" gimmick.  At the end of the day it's a game console, and the people who buy it aren't buying it to run alongside their DVR, they're buying it to play games.  If it does that as well or better than the PS4 than it will do well, if not it will be a huge disappointment....

Yea sorry, but Gddr3 RAM, and no mention of processor speed makes this console seriously suspect when it comes to a "Next Gen" console.  I'll buy one eventually because I'm a gamer and want to play all the exclusives, but I worry if M$ is putting too many eggs into the "all in one entertainment system" gimmick.  At the end of the day it's a game console, and the people who buy it aren't buying it to run alongside their DVR, they're buying it to play games.  If it does that as well or better than the PS4 than it will do well, if not it will be a huge disappointment....

I got some details on it from the round table thing they did, 

based on computing power the new xbox pushes 1.23 Tflops compared to the announced specs of the PS4 at 1.83 Tflops. 

The Xbox One has 8 cores that run at 1.68 Ghz with a 768 thread packing GPU capable of running 1.23 Tflops with more power available through the Azura cloud services. 

The PS4 is an 8 core modified Jaguar running at 2GHz with a GPU with 18 compute units capable of 1.83 Tflops. Add in the advantage with gddr5 memory and the only way the new xbox catches up is with massive computing power being moved to the cloud. 

Of course this is based off of the compute power specs that the MS round table were discussing earlier today. However I will note that those same exact specs were leaked a few weeks ago by a tech magazine online. So they are most likely accurate. 

Well, found out what the doesn't have to be online, but has to always be connected to the internet meant. 

"For single-player games that don’t require connectivity to Xbox Live, you should be able to play those without interruption should your Internet connection go down. Blu-ray movies and other downloaded entertainment should be accessible when your Internet connection may be interrupted. But the device is fundamentally designed to be expanded and extended by the Internet as many devices are today."

And here's the bombshell:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

So it requires a connection to the internet at minimum once a day to update and for game verification purposes. In reality it does require an internet connection and pretty much needs to always be connected. 

The used games thing is going to work like I thought it would.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

The Xbox exec wouldn't give further details on how this system will work, but we're assuming that once you're done with a game, you can trade the code online and it will be erased from your machine. But what will you get? Other games? Microsoft Points?

Going to a friends house, they have to pay full price before it works on their system. Bought a game and don't like it, MS will offer a way to trade in games through them. Unless the whole time your playing the game your using your buddies xbox live account. 

Since Xbox One games have to be installed and verified online through xbox live "Similar to PC games" you won't be able to trade them in at brick and mortar stores. MS will be the ones offering the used game's and not gamestop or BestBuy.

The way it will probably work is that You'll be able to trade a game in towards MS for online points or what not, the game would be removed from your hard drive and you'd have to send the disk off to MS. Might actually be able to trade in Online games as well with this type of service.  They'll have some sort of used game service that they'll announce at E3 probably.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

As a long time casual xbox gamer, I will say that this impressed me more than the PS4 premiere did.  I have also owned a PS3 (60gb) since 2005(6?).  I don't have a cable box anymore, but I like that it's there.  I really like that feature that ties in the online with your tv watching in an semi intelligent way.  I don't care about hardware specs.  Look at the PS3's cell processor, which should have been the bees knees.  What I do care about is how well it functions, and god forbid, are the games fun.  That is the ultimate issue.  I won't buy one (or the PS4) at launch, I'm a new dad and too poor frankly.  I will wait a year or so to see how well these "next-gen" consoles compare to their popular, deeply installed previous renditions.  What I think might be kind of funny is the amount of development that occurs for the PS3/360s after the next gen launch.  I bet we'll see more than Sony and MS would necessarily like to see.

And as far as the used games, I want to see more details.  I buy games cheaply.  If they are going more digital distrubition model with these new systems, then why buy the physical discs anymore?  That's what I'm seeing, a move away from hardware based sales and into digital products.  You can't trade in your DL'd games either.  We will just have to see!

Archived