• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets (Bobcats) Interested In DeMarcus Cousins

PantherBrew

What I get from that is you need to be very active in FA AND the draft.  Not one of those teams were purely built in the draft.   The Heat basically kept Wade but build the rest of the team with FAs.  The Mavs title run had Dirk, yes, but the rest of the team was FAs or trades, Tyson Chandler, etc.   The Spurs are your best example but they always fill the ranks with a ton of vets and good FAs.   Of course I want to draft a superstar, but I don't think passing on a potential beast like DMC is wise either.  Besides, even if you get a superstar, it may not be at that position.   We need to spend as much time on free agents as we do the draft.  We need to sell seats before we lose our franchise.  DMC is questionable, but I'm talking more about the general logic in not passing up on a potential monster.

Besides we HAVE to spend money, we're under the min. salary requirement I think.

1st page, I said I would potentially be in favor of bringing him in (as long as he signs)...so I don't know where you're getting this from that I don't want him.

How many star players did those title teams bring in through FA?  Essentially all were role players to put teams over the top, AFTER already having an established star.  Also again, those teams have huge, distinct advantages over Charlotte.  No taxes, location, coaches, history, stars already in place.  

Again...Charlotte is a small market team with no draw compared to those others.  FA aren't going to come here.  Name me one that has.  Or one that has gone to ANY small market team.  

The first step to ANY title winner for as long as I can remember was drafting a superstar.  Please, find me a team where that is different...and to make it even more realistic to our situation, find me a small market team that has done it.  

If you want to build a playoff contender, that's simple as poo.  If you want to build a title contender, especially in a small market, there's a formula...and it starts by drafting a superstar.  

Link of all NBA champs/teams they played...if you don't notice a trend there with what I've said, don't know what else to say.

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/champions.html

Side note, if you're lumping trades into being the same thing as bringing in a Free Agent...just no.  

Guys rarely have no trade clauses in the NBA and have little choice when being traded.  During FA, they have all the choice in the world and don't come to Charlotte for obvious reasons.  Land the superstar, say the Celtics model (Pierce), then you trade for guys (KG, Allen). 

Well I would never be in favor of a trade unless they re-upped anyway.   And I still believe you need FA and the draft.

Just like you mentioned the difference in cities, the difference here and the, let's say Thunder, is this city will NOT wait another 3-4 years to be relevant.  Being an embarassment of a team will only last so long.  The name change will help, but if the product on the court isn't better, I don't think this team will be around in this city much longer.  We need to field an entertaining team, asap, it might not be a finals contender, but at least a playoff contender.  And we need to do it for years in a row.  The need to get fans in the seat right now is imperative.  Seattle wants a team and if this team keeps bombing, I could see the franchise being sold and moved over there.  So yeah, 5-10 years ago, pure draft may have worked, but we're now on the hot seat.  I don't see Jordan letting this team bleed money for much longer.

Well I would never be in favor of a trade unless they re-upped anyway.   And I still believe you need FA and the draft.

Just like you mentioned the difference in cities, the difference here and the, let's say Thunder, is this city will NOT wait another 3-4 years to be relevant.  Being an embarassment of a team will only last so long.  The name change will help, but if the product on the court isn't better, I don't think this team will be around in this city much longer.  We need to field an entertaining team, asap, it might not be a finals contender, but at least a playoff contender.  And we need to do it for years in a row.  The need to get fans in the seat right now is imperative.  Seattle wants a team and if this team keeps bombing, I could see the franchise being sold and moved over there.  So yeah, 5-10 years ago, pure draft may have worked, but we're now on the hot seat.  I don't see Jordan letting this team bleed money for much longer.

If they do that then everything they've done over the last 3-4 years in dropping players and picking up assets was a waste of time and the team has failed it's goal. There isn't anyone in FA that's worth ruining what this team has built up and with that I'm talking about next years draft picks. Charlotte's pick has to be in the top 3-4 or everything was wasted. The other two picks will be in the 9 - 14 range and team's should be able to pick up starters from that range in next years draft. 

I think it's a no brainer if it's a legitimate possibility.   We have a hard enough time signing quality free agents anyway.  So if we can get a quality player via trade then you pull the trigger.   He's bigger and nastier then anyone we currently have, or could get in the draft, and that's exactly what this team needs.   I don't think it's wise to sign a whole new team all once anyway, and we'd still look at the possibility of three first rounders next year, in a better draft.   Let's sign the best possible talent we can sign this year while still positioning ourselves to spend some money next year.  Being able to nab talent like Cousins, might make other FA's rethink the idea of coming to the Horncats.  

On a side note, the team is investing a lot of cash this year,just organizationally that from a future financial perspective we have to be competitive next year when the name change becomes official.   We have to start implanting talent this year.   It takes time to develop team chemistry, and we have to start this year.

Just a side note about those 2 other potential picks in the 9-14 range, which could be coming in the deepest draft in years...

Looking back at past drafts, a lot of talent has been there; often in weak drafts.  No doubt that we could hit on 1 of potentially 2 picks in that range to pair with a likely Top 3-5 selection.

9 - Kemba, DeRozan, Noah, Drummond

10 - Paul George, Brandon Jennings, Brook Lopez, 

11 - Klay Thompson, Redick

12 - Henderson

13 - 

14 - Henson

Just outside, Kawhi Leonard, Hibbert, Rondo

Talent will be there, it's just a matter of hitting on one of those picks to pair with a potential Wiggins/Parker/Randle

Having and keeping three picks next season is essential. That draft should be the future foundation of the Hornets. Kemba coming off the bench like a James Hardin.

Cousions is good and if the Kings would take this years pick and Ben Gordon's expiring contract..then... Done!! Cousions would easily be the no.1 pick in this draft if this was his rookie year.

I just would not mortgage any more than that..if that falls short then it just does.

We could trade for Cousins and still stick to our philosophy of building through the draft. Adding Cousins to this team this upcoming years will probably win us 5 more games. It's not going to drastically change us into greatness, but we'll see have a big piece to build around with in Cousins. We'll still be bad enough to posess a top3-5 pick next year.

Archived