• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman, Rivera didn't meet until after GM took job...inside the Panthers organization

TheRumGone

CAROLINA PANTHERS

Owner: Jerry Richardson, 19th year

General Manager: Dave Gettleman, 1st year

Head Coach: Ron Rivera, 3rd year

Other front-office notables: Brandon Beane, Director of Football Operations; Don Gregory, Director of College Scouting; Mark Koncz, Director of Pro Scouting.

Brandt: The next great linebacker
gil_brandt-110726_65.jpgRay Lewis and Brian Urlacher left big shoes to fill as dominant linebackers. Gil Brandt thinks Luke Kuechly can fill them. More ...

Who's really in charge? The structure of the Panthers' front office isn't as complicated as that of some other teams. So as was true of former GM Marty Hurney during his 11 seasons, Dave Gettleman -- the longtime New York Giants personnel man -- has final say over all football matters, including the 53-man roster, and he reports directly to Jerry Richardson. Ron Rivera reports to Gettleman -- and the relationship between them is still a work in progress.

The two actually first met over breakfast the day after Gettleman was hired. In the time since, Gettleman has leaned on his own experience to catch up on what Rivera and his staff want in players at each position. The new GM is trying to incorporate an inclusive decision-making process, not unlike what he was a part of with the Giants. Both Don Gregory and Mark Koncz were held over from the Hurney regime -- Gettleman liked that Gregory is a "grinder," and he appreciated Koncz's ability to ferret out background info.

For Gettleman, the primary difference between Charlotte and New York might be how ownership operates. Where the Maras are in-the-office owners whose job is football, Richardson has outside businesses to tend to, and he isn't in the building as much. The GM talks with Richardson at least once a week; he has used his boss as a resource, applying his business knowledge to football problems.

An outside perspective from an NFC personnel executive: "My guess is, he'll have his own twist on the Giants' system there. He was in Denver and Buffalo, so he has a lot of experience in different places. He's exceptionally smart, and he's a grinder who will play no favorites. He'll keep the guys that deserve it, and work really well with the coach there, and be egoless about it. I think he'll do a lot of things like they've been done in the places he's been. He worked with (Bill) Polian, and Ernie (Accorsi) and Jerry (Reese), with (Mike) Shanahan in Denver, so he's seen it done right. He'll take the best of everything he's learned, be true to his scouting, see what he sees, and trust his instincts. And there are some tough decisions coming there, because the structure of the team and its cap are out of whack. ... He's been a grinder -- just does his job, and trusted that his reputation would be enough to get him an opportunity. He's a meat-and-potatoes guy, but a very, very three-dimensional guy, who lives, eats and breathes the job, and has a diverse set of skills but is also spiritual, well-read, a family man, and very smart."

NFL.com article  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211489/article/whos-ireallyi-in-charge-nfc-south-squads-seek-balance

And i found this funny picture on DeAngelo's twitter

post-13672-0-64205300-1371059871_thumb.j

I thought everyone knew this. Richardson gave Rivera another year while they were still looking for GM candidates- not sure why this is news now.

It's not so much about not knowing.

couple tidbits i liked

"Both Don Gregory and Mark Koncz were held over from the Hurney regime -- Gettleman liked that Gregory is a "grinder," and he appreciated Koncz's ability to ferret out background info." I Didn't really know anything about them.

Also people really tend to look at Gettleman from the Giants' organization keys to success. But forget about his time in Denver and Buffalo.

And of course the rest is fluff on Gettleman but it was nice to read.

It was talking about our division and describing every team's front office situations. Who's really in charge? is pretty misleading unless it were about JR supposedly having his hands on things that he shouldn't. Good read though, I didn't care to read about our rivals so can't speak to that

old news...and i'm not sure why it's news at all. imo, a head coach shouldn't have any input in the hiring of a gm, so it doesn't matter if they met the after or the day before he was hired.

The media is always out to start poo with the Panthers. It was known back then and now we are rehashing this 4 months later.

it's not trying to stir poo and it wasn't meant to be news at all.

read this next comment....

It was talking about our division and describing every team's front office situations. Who's really in charge? is pretty misleading unless it were about JR supposedly having his hands on things that he shouldn't. Good read though, I didn't care to read about our rivals so can't speak to that

yes. it was something they were doing for each team in the division and they asked the same thing for each. the panthers situation wasn't being singled out. this was to give everyone a sort of inside peep at what's happening in each team, including asking the question "who's really in charge?" for each.

not really a big deal.

i just like reading about how awesome Gettleman is. Thought everybody would feel the same...

my baaaaaaaaaaad.

it took me a little while to figure out that gil brandt didn't write this. i clicked the link to find context and got a little confused.

still a good read, even if people are reading too much into the thread title..

it took me a little while to figure out that gil brandt didn't write this. i clicked the link to find context and got a little confused.

still a good read, even if people are reading too much into the thread title..

ha yea i just copied and pasted. the gil brandt article is the keek one.

Archived