• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

bike riders

tommy gun

Bicycles are a mode of transportation and they should follow the rules of the road. I have no issue with bicycles if they are doing what they are supposed to on the road.

Bicycles can legally use roads. So long as they stay in the proper lane, it's legal. "doing what they're supposed to" as you put it, is very simple in the eyes of the law. Just because you don't like being behind them, doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. Don't like it, don't use roads. 

Bicycles can legally use roads. So long as they stay in the proper lane, it's legal. "doing what they're supposed to" as you put it, is very simple in the eyes of the law. Just because you don't like being behind them, doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. Don't like it, don't use roads. 

As they should.

And if they want to bike on the road they can follow the rules as well or they can go to the gym a hit the ole stationary.

Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a street or highway shall not ride more than two abreast, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane. Persons riding two abreast shall move into a single file formation as quickly as is practicable when being overtaken from the rear by a faster moving vehicle.

Lane sharing is illegal.... follow the rules

They could also quit running stop signs.

As they should.

And if they want to bike on the road they can follow the rules as well or they can go to the gym a hit the ole stationary.

Bicyclists riding bicycles upon a street or highway shall not ride more than two abreast, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane. Persons riding two abreast shall move into a single file formation as quickly as is practicable when being overtaken from the rear by a faster moving vehicle.

Lane sharing is illegal.... follow the rules

They could also quit running stop signs.

I wasn't arguing that point. But just so we are clear. Lane sharing isn't illegal, and I'm sensing that you're having trouble reading what you quoted, so let me help. People can ride side by side, just no more than two at a time - IE, three people can't ride beside each other - and they must make an effort to form a single line when being over taken by a faster moving vehicle, IF it is practical, reasonable, and safe to do so. 

But I really wasn't arguing that point, as I said, more just making a general statement regarding people who are annoyed by people on bikes. 

Well this subject hits home for me. My brother t- boned a bike rider that had ran a stop light. Bike rider landed on his hood and windshield. Broke his leg but lived. He said my brother ran the light but luckily a undercover cop witnessed the accident. Long story short. I think they should carry insurance like we do for our cars. My brother was out for his deductible for his car. The guy lived in California and only way my brother could collect was to sue him.

Bike riders generally don't bother me. I'm all for their rights on the roads as long as it is done safely. It's been my experience though, not a lot of riders riding side by side care to form a line if you have to go around them.

Problems arise when you have:

1. Drivers incapable of dealing with objects closer that 5 feet to their automatic, oversized SUV's

2. No bike lanes

3. Drunk/distracted drivers

4. Cyclists who flaunt the rules to get somewhere a little quicker.

I used to ride road bikes and I've been on the receiving end of some pure t dumbassery.  Dangerous crap like throwing stuff at me, opening a door as they go past (yes seriously but they missed).

Anyway, nowadays as a runner, I encounter plenty of drivers nearly killing me because they simply aren't looking for runners, bikes, or motorcycles. Some bikers are pretty stupid and obnoxious but think the majority of the problem is bad car drivers. 

I'm a cyclist but even I get annoyed by them when they're not following the rules or not using proper judgement. Riding side by side, blowing signals, jabbing at passing cars, etc....all that is unnecessary BS.

I make it a rule to get out of town as early and as quickly as possible on my rides so I can get onto the country roads where other vehicles (and people) are few and far between. Colorado is very bike friendly so it's quite easy to get out in the middle of nowhere and have plenty of room to move about while not worrying about being a nuisance. 

Everything in life is about common sense. Unfortunately, a lot of cyclists give the activity a bad name for being complete douchebags. 

Archived