• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Captain Munnerlyn: It’s scary how good the Panthers defense can be

"constant negative viewpoint"

I guess that's what you're going to keep harping on. Well yea I know it's surprising when more than, say, 5 people aren't exactly tripping over themselves to type about how much the team is going to be successful and instead be honest about it after a 4 year playoff drought and 7 years without a playoff win. But it's got nothing to do with that, right? This is a part of a "bigger picture" of seeing life from a positive lens, because, expanding upon that overreaching and ambiguous point you made earlier on, being positive about a bad team is an insight into how positive of a person you are, and davethepanther is really proving just how self-assured he is, I mean he sure comes off that way when he berates people for correcting his inaccuracies as amicably as they can (and no, I'm not referring to myself here).

It's too bad the verbal diarrhea I spew actually turns out a lot of the time. Like when I said Delhomme wouldn't rebound, or when I nailed Stewart's contract extension within like 2 mil, or when I was one of the first guys who thought we should draft Cam Newton, or when I thought Flacco was better than a lot of posters here gave him credit for.

Do you have any brochures for curing the mental disorder known as "calling people out for posting moronic garbage"? I'll gladly take one of those.

What gets me.  Anyone that has a positive outlook is a <insert negative name> because we did this or that 45 years ago.  Last years team was a disappointment, no doubt.  I don't argue it one bit.  I still think we had the talent to have been in the playoffs.  We could go over and over every game we lost that would have made a difference.  Bottom line is we lost.  I GOT THAT. 

Fact, we got blown out only twice. 

Fact, we have addressed a huge issues on our defensive line.  Between Cole, Edwards, Star and Short.  I believe, as many inside and outside the organization, that DT has gone from a weakness to a strength. 

Fact, We added some good talent on both sides of the ball.  (Negative Nancies here is your chance to blast this one)

Fact, We got some key players on offense and Defense back

Fact, We have matured another year

I was gonna say fact but I will say most likely.  Everyone is focused and ready

While FB is absolutely correct we won't know for certain until July/August/Sept.   BUT!!!!!.  I, as many others, would believe that this team is about to explode. Especially on defense.  And unlike FB I am going to jump on the bandwagon now.  I am going to have a front row seat.   FB can have the edge so if things go south after a good start he can jump off and say I told you so.

Call it Kool-Aid Fist Pumping, Panther Colored Glasses or whatever else you want to call it.   I am still going to remain faithful and believe as I do.  I don't believe that attitude is any less realistic than the "we still have many issues", "we sucked last year so until I see differently" or "So in So is not the answer"  I always look at it as our GM and Coach feels the new guys are going to make us better.   Who are we to believe they only added players to be the same?

It is no less realistic as being negative.

I was Fuging with FB because he was so disrespectful to me in another post because I said our Safeties could be as good as any in the NFL.  While it is his 1st Amendment right to disagree,   I had to jump in when he said earlier we could be Elite and then recanted and said Top 5 yet saying top 10 in the same breath.  Nitpicking really but just to show he can be as moody.anyone. 

The CAP locks achieved my goal.   

I am letting this petty disagreement go with FB... The question will be is he Man enough to let it go too.

FB u believe as u do...  I believe as I do.   Let's just agree to disagree.  Pretty much nails it on the head. 

I hate when players start spouting this sort of nonsense before the season even gets close. 

I hope Munnerly hasnt jinxed us or himsslef like Kalil did

I will never blame a player for being optimistic.

If too many players are injured it is near impossible for a team to win a superbowl i

Like 2012 Panthers..

Lets take a look at the 2012 season again..

1     September 9     4:25 p.m. EDT     at Tampa Bay Buccaneers     L 10–16     1TD short

2     September 16     1:00 p.m. EDT     New Orleans Saints     W 35–27     

3     September 20     8:20 p.m. EDT     New York Giants     L 7–36     

4     September 30     1:00 p.m. EDT     at Atlanta Falcons     L 28–30     1FG short

5     October 7     4:05 p.m. EDT     Seattle Seahawks     L 12–16     1TD short

6     Bye

7     October 21     1:00 p.m. EDT     Dallas Cowboys     L 14–19     1TD short

8     October 28     1:00 p.m. EDT     at Chicago Bears     L 22–23     1FG short

9     November 4     1:00 p.m. EST     at Washington Redskins     W 21–13     

10     November 11     1:00 p.m. EST     Denver Broncos     L 14–36     

11     November 18     1:00 p.m. EST     Tampa Bay Buccaneers     L 21–27 (OT)     1TD short

12     November 26     8:30 p.m. EST     at Philadelphia Eagles     W 30–22     

13     December 2     1:00 p.m. EST     at Kansas City Chiefs     L 21–27     1 TD short

14     December 9     1:00 p.m. EST     Atlanta Falcons     W 30–20     

15     December 16     4:05 p.m. EST     at San Diego Chargers     W 31–7     

16     December 23     1:00 p.m. EST     Oakland Raiders     W 17–6     

17     December 30     1:00 p.m. EST     at New Orleans Saints     W 44–38

If this team can remain healthy as much as possible, the Superbowl is at hand.

We have the front 7 to change those silly 1TD short defeats into victories.

Always weary when these players say things like this to the public. In the past when things like this have been said its always been followed up by a slow start from the team record wise. Hopefully, they back up their talk this season

I think it is a fine line.  Gotta believe in yourself and have some swag but not too over-confident.

Potentially, I think he is correct.  CJ and Kraken are going to have a monster year.  They both had double digit sacks with some shoddy play at DT with the new group it is going to be very interesting to see how well they fare.  

I don't understand why some are surprised at consistently negative viewpoints from certain posters. Until we see progress on the field, it's easy to be a bit jaded by over-the-top statements from players.

Others point out that we've improved, and it's likely we have. But nearly every team feels they have improved. So losing teams have to improve above and beyond the norm to get into the upper tier.

I understand the optimists and respect their viewpoint, but it is valid for others to think differently given what the franchise has done over the last few years.

I don't understand why some are surprised at consistently negative viewpoints from certain posters. Until we see progress on the field, it's easy to be a bit jaded by over-the-top statements from players.

Others point out that we've improved, and it's likely we have. But nearly every team feels they have improved. So losing teams have to improve above and beyond the norm to get into the upper tier.

I understand the optimists and respect their viewpoint, but it is valid for others to think differently given what the franchise has done over the last few years.

Most of our improvement needs to be better execution not necessarily new players.

And this is where I think Munnerlyn gets his belief.  The team has been impressive during this past couple of weeks.  Seeing that everyone is already on the same page.  Not alot of deer in the headlight looks.

Being Optimistic is not a sign of being a homer, misinformed, ignorant, and <insert any insult> because those that choose to want to base our future on the past.

many of us who remain positive we're surely disappointed last year. After paying hundreds of dollars to see every home game and tailgating and watching all day only to lose at the last minute took a toll on everyone.

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist goes beyond that though. It isn't just about whether we have been losing the last few years. Anyone can see that, it is really about believing in the team and the direction we are headed. Do you think Gettleman has a handle on things. Do you think that Rivera is a great coordinator who is learning to be a good head coach? Do you think we not only have the talent to compete but the collective mentality of the team has improved starting at the top with Newton. Do you believe we are trending upwards or going down the tubes.

At this point no one knows what is going to happen including the players. Fans have a right to believe what they want. I find being positive and upbeat helps me get through the day, the week, and life. So it permeates what I do and say including my sports teams. It isn't naivite as contrarians want to have you believe. I am as much a realist as anyone as I demonstrated in 2010 when I was one of the first to take Richardson to task for gutting the team and going cheap which was a minority view at the time but was proven as usual to be spot on.

People who say they are negative here every day but not that way in life are deluding themselves. You are who you portray yourself to be. do we have public and private sides? yes but usually we have a dominant one that defines us much of the time. And spare me the excuse that you just do it to get a rise or tweak others. Because that just makes you a jerk.

Can you be negative about the team but positive every where else? Not usually. People usually have a half empty or half approach to things. Can you be both at times? Sure. But research shows that people have a genetic potential to be negative or positive and their brain chemistry is actually different. So while I understand negative people I avoid them in my spare time givenI work with them professionally every day.

P55 when he's right about something:

"I was spot on like always"

P55 when he's wrong about something:

"It's this thing we happy people call being positive have you ever heard of it? Let me talk to you about what my Amway upline said to me about being optimistic during our team meeting earlier this week"

I was Fuging with FB because he was so disrespectful to me in another post because I said our Safeties could be as good as any in the NFL.  While it is his 1st Amendment right to disagree,   I had to jump in when he said earlier we could be Elite and then recanted and said Top 5 yet saying top 10 in the same breath.  Nitpicking really but just to show he can be as moody.anyone. 

The CAP locks achieved my goal.   

Vmd5Xsl.jpg

If we're looking at the trajectory and history in which Rivera has turned around defenses, as 55 said, we're in a really good position.

I'm telling you, don't sleep on our secondary.  We don't have ballhawks but capable guys who can keep things in tact.

Even though Chud is gone, I view us as a slightly better, Cam-ified version of the Chargers a few years back with more potential and potential leaders on both sides of the ball this year.  Avoiding injuries will be key

Archived