• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The MMQB - Derek Mason (Stanford Dir Def) whiteboards option defense

dos poptarts

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/26/derek-mason-stanford-read-option/?sct=hp_t11_a1&eref=sihp

Found the video and article to be very good & informative. More football and less fluff.

There's been similar discussions on the Huddle, but this interview is from the Derek Mason who found a way to slow down the Oregon Offense. One of his key points is to slow down the read part of the QB.

Not sure I agree w/ the 3-4 vs 4-3. Seems gap assignment is more important that how you line up.

I guess the Peter King butt hurt is infectious, because there's no reference to Cam/Panthers, only to RGIII, Kap, Russel. Article is written by Greg Bedard.

I guess the Peter King butt hurt is infectious, because there's no reference to Cam/Panthers, only to RGIII, Kap, Russel. Article is written by Greg Bedard.

maybe because compared to the redskins, 49ers, and seahawks the panthers sucked at it.

it was definitely executed at a much more indecisive and undisciplined pace than those other teams.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/26/derek-mason-stanford-read-option/?sct=hp_t11_a1&eref=sihp

Found the video and article to be very good & informative. More football and less fluff.

There's been similar discussions on the Huddle, but this interview is from the Derek Mason who found a way to slow down the Oregon Offense. One of his key points is to slow down the read part of the QB.

Not sure I agree w/ the 3-4 vs 4-3. Seems gap assignment is more important that how you line up.

Those teams took it to the playoffs and one to the Super Bowl.

it's going to be real interesting when we play the niners and seahawks and how they defend us and if we can defend them.  if this is true, a 3-4 able to fill more gaps efficiently than our standard 4-3 or will we be able to disguise our fronts and remain discipline enough at the same time.

This is what I have said for a while

—but what makes the read-option so groundbreaking is that it’s being orchestrated by quarterbacks who can throw as well as they run. Pure option quarterbacks have never thrived in the NFL, but when Kaepernick throws the deep ball with accuracy, the 49ers are virtually unstoppable. As a defensive coordinator you need to pick your battles.

If you have a QB that can throw, and throw deep with accuracy you can't really defend the read option.

Unless of course you have defenders beating their blocks and double teams (which is what happened to us too much last season)

Watching Cam screw up the read-option last season was heartbreaking. I couldn't believe it. I refuse to believe that he will have the same trouble with it this season, so we need to go for take-2.

We have the kind of o-line that is going to win a few, and lose a few as far as the read-option is concerned. It's well worth a few stuffs to suddenly have Cam or Williams streaking down the field for a huge gain or TD.

Archived