• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ruff's 7-28 Camp Observations

Ruff

We kept only 3 backs on the roster last season. I see 4 making the team Dlo, Stew, Tolbert and Barner. I dont see a way another makes the 53, barring injury.

I guess if Stewart starts the year PUP....that would be a huge opportunity for one RB to get a shot that normally wouldn't

I guess if Stewart starts the year PUP....that would be a huge opportunity for one RB to get a shot that normally wouldn't

That's a definite possibility. Then said player would be waived upon Stewarts return. My moneys on Stewie being ready game one.

How was David Gettis? If you go down there tomorrow can you tell me how he is looking? Also who will win the opposite side corner? I really like Josh Thomas in that spot, but who is it looking to be?

Josh played physical today, no doubt about it. But, I think the opposite corner job belongs to Captain until further notice. David Gettis also looked good. Even Rivera said he's had a good start to training camp, but he did get shaken up on a long incompletion down the sideline. He eventually came back and finished with the receivers, though.

Still quite a log jam at the position...going to be hard to get him reps if all are healthy.

I think he may fit what we were doing better than any.....if he transitions to next level

I'm not sure it will be a matter of getting a lot of snaps. i think he'll end up with significantly less than williams, stewart, and even cam. i just think his skill set and the situations will be able to translate into big yardage plays and if it's anywhere near the red zone he could wind up easily breaking off into the end zone. his touches will likely be limited, but his yards per touch won't  be.

btw, i think he'll translate just fine into the pros. i don't see him as being much as a blocker, but i also don't think you expect him to be. he's a big play weapon. that's all.

Poole should make the roster as well

Personally doubt it, Williams/Stewart/Barner/Tolbert/Brockel will be our stable imo. Tolbert will rotate as we've seen as a 4th ball carrier. Poole will either be PC, or cut, it sucks because I liked him, but he's not as talented as our top four runners. 

Josh played physical today, no doubt about it. But, I think the opposite corner job belongs to Captain until further notice. David Gettis also looked good. Even Rivera said he's had a good start to training camp, but he did get shaken up on a long incompletion down the sideline. He eventually came back and finished with the receivers, though.

I'm really hoping that DG12 makes the team, IMO of our current core (excluding Smith) given his one season he's shown the most promise to develop into #1. 6'3, track speed, and he showed good hands. It's no wonder so many fans wish him well. Just got hurt at a really bad time. 

I remember when I posted that Oregon vs USC game where Barner had like 350 yards and 5 tds and people told me it was just the system and he looked slow. lol

And like rayzor said, Barner is gonna be a chess piece. I don't think he can pass block very well yet.

Barring something unforeseen, Stew will be available game one. I think the team is just going through due diligence, and taking their time ala Beason because there's no reason to rush him back. 

I remember when I posted that Oregon vs USC game where Barner had like 350 yards and 5 tds and people told me it was just the system and he looked slow. lol

And like rayzor said, Barner is gonna be a chess piece. I don't think he can pass block very well yet.

How anyone could look at him play and think he's slow is beyond me, Wasn't he clocked with 4.3's speed in the 40!?

I'm probably in the minority here, but i don't even think he needs to be much of a blocker. i mean it would be nice to have more help there, esp. considering how ugly the big uglies are so far, but i think that he's gonna be someone that defenses always have to account for everytime he's on the field. there's gonna have to be a spy put on him him anytime he's on the field because there are so many ways he could be used and because of the damage he'd be able to do so quickly after touching the ball. his presence on the field will help cam out because it forces attention away from him. basically it takes a potential pass rusher out of the equation.

of course all of that depends on his usage and his ability to not suck when he's on the field. I'm just seeing a lot of outside of the box potential with this guy.

As quirky as LS is....you need a guy on your roster who can step in if JJ got hurt in a game. Chase is old school....he likely could be that guy and practices for a reason. I'm sure we had someone besides JJ last year as well that gets a couple reps in at some point....even if not in a live drill.

Yea, if I recall correctly last year it was Barnidge..or one of the TEs.  Every year they have someone else practicing long snapping for an emergency scenario.

Rayzor is absolutely right. Barner isn't going to be a stay at home blocker. He's going to come in to do something dynamic. Whether it be a hand off play, a screen pass, or line up wide as a receiver, he's going to be there for the big play. With what I seen today, it's possible we've found the makings of the next Sproles.

Archived