• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers D struggles against the Slant!

Pantherman

The design of a slant is you throw a quick, easy catch to a speedy (or large) receiver and let them run with it.

Every team in the league uses it and has it used on them.

You'll never stop it completely.  You just need to make sure you minimize the gains as much as possible.

I get it's preseason and all that but last season was real season and we got killed by the exact same play.

My point taken. Just like last year and going into the preseason tonight. We are still getting burned on the slant just about every play.It seems everytime our CBs playoff the WRs 5-10 yards they get burn underneath with a quick slant. But yet when we did the slant on the bears D all game. It seems the Bears CBs was always there to knock it away or int it. Slants kill us on both sides of the ball, while other teams seems to run it on us with ease. Something I'm worried about going into this season. Even with the good pressure our front 4 got tonight. Slants kept killing us when we played off 5-10 yards off the WR. Our guys need to play more bump and run coverage or something.

Fact is we are still playing off 10 yards just about on every play on D. I've seen where the D has played some bump and run. But half of the plays the D CBs have played off the WR. Don't understand why. I'm pretty much at a lose right now.

From my understanding, halfway through the year last year the Panthers ran more cover 3 as their base defense. In a cover 3 the cornerbacks are responsible for a deep 3rd of the field. The flats are covered by the strong safety/Sam linebacker and the Will linebacker depending on the defensive scheme. So in a traditional cover 3 a slant will always be open because the corners bail to their deep 3rd of the field.

From my understanding, halfway through the year last year the Panthers ran more cover 3 as their base defense. In a cover 3 the cornerbacks are responsible for a deep 3rd of the field. The flats are covered by the strong safety/Sam linebacker and the Will linebacker depending on the defensive scheme. So in a traditional cover 3 a slant will always be open because the corners bail to their deep 3rd of the field.

Well then Ron and his coaching staff better come up with a plan to stop or slow it down one. Because it seems we have problems getting slants complete tonight against the Bears D, but yet they can complete it with ease on us with no problem.

The slant is almost impossible to defend if you are worried about someone getting behind you.  Watching our play I think it is caused by playing cover 3 blitzes and the other team correctly exploiting the coverage creases.

The slant is almost impossible to defend if you are worried about someone getting behind you.  Watching our play I think it is caused by playing cover 3 blitzes and the other team correctly exploiting the coverage creases.

LOL Well then the Bears D must be amazing at it. Because they was good at stopping any slant we did tonight. Most of them was knock down and one was int. So this shows that Ron needs to figure out how to slow it down and defend it better.

LOL Well then the Bears D must be amazing at it. Because they was good at stopping any slant we did tonight. Most of them was knock down and one was int. So this shows that Ron needs to figure out how to slow it down and defend it better.

We weren't throwing against soft cover 3 coverage on our slants in these instances.  It was bump and run shallow man within zone.

I could be wrong though I haven't reviewed any play more than once tonight.

Well then Ron and his coaching staff better come up with a plan to stop or slow it down one. Because it seems we have problems getting slants complete tonight against the Bears D, but yet they can complete it with ease on us with no problem.

Thats just football...Some coaches would rather give up easy passes like slants rather than the risk of a deep completion. Also down and distance dictates the defenses coverage usually. 2nd and long the defense will usually play off. 2nd and short you usually get tighter bump and run coverage to prevent slants and quick outs.

Archived