• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those that don't think Getts is all in this year...

Who Said What?

I keep hearing that Gettleman may not be all in or completely sold on Rivera this year.

Gettleman addressed our gaping hole at DT that the board has bitched about for years.  He drafted playmakers for depth at LB and RB instead of reaching for need.  He brought in good competition at all defensive back spots.  All of these moves were made with us starting nearly fifteen million over the salary cap.

Now everyone is whining about gaurd and o-line depth.  First, Garry Williams played during the winning streak at the end of the year.  Now he is complete garbage.  There were not any difference makers in free agency that we could sign while we were strapped for cash.  Now, posters are getting mad because Getts is letting young guys have a shot before going and finding expensive stop gaps.

Now with Gettis emerging, all of that answers on the roster stuff doesn't seem like empty rhetoric.  I thought we would be happy after getting a different GM.  Now many are complaining because he isn't operating like Hurney. 

What could he have done differently to prove that he is all in with Rivera and that he is not waiting to sign his own coach?

valid points. i don't see gettleman sabotaging this team in any way, as much as the conspiracy theorists like to suggest. i think WR and the secondary may turn out to be much less of an issue than we might have suspected.

OL though... if there's been a problem manifesting itself throughout training camp and preseason it's the OL. unless garry williams magically sprouts probowler wings it will remain the achilles heel of this entire football team. he has to realize that.

or we're all just stupid

I keep hearing that Gettleman may not be all in or completely sold on Rivera this year.

Gettleman addressed our gaping hole at DT that the board has bitched about for years.  He drafted playmakers for depth at LB and RB instead of reaching for need.  He brought in good competition at all defensive back spots.  All of these moves were made with us starting nearly fifteen million over the salary cap.

Now everyone is whining about gaurd and o-line depth.  First, Garry Williams played during the winning streak at the end of the year.  Now he is complete garbage.  There were not any difference makers in free agency that we could sign while we were strapped for cash.  Now, posters are getting mad because Getts is letting young guys have a shot before going and finding expensive stop gaps.

Now with Gettis emerging, all of that answers on the roster stuff doesn't seem like empty rhetoric.  I thought we would be happy after getting a different GM.  Now many are complaining because he isn't operating like Hurney. 

What could he have done differently to prove that he is all in with Rivera and that he is not waiting to sign his own coach?

This really need to be addressed because people keep saying things like this about the o line. Murphy played during the winning streak as well and everybody was ready for him to leave the team. If you have confidence in players that's fine, but saying or implying they won't be bad simply because they played during a winning streak is a terrible argument.

This really need to be addressed because people keep saying things like this about the o line. Murphy played during the winning streak as well and everybody was ready for him to leave the team. If you have confidence in players that's fine, but saying or implying they won't be bad simply because they played during a winning streak is a terrible argument.

Lets look at it this way then.  Cam had more time to throw.  Rushing yards increased during the streak.  There were less turnovers as well.  We didn't even have Kalil during that stretch either.  Soooo is that a little better?

valid points. i don't see gettleman sabotaging this team in any way, as much as the conspiracy theorists like to suggest. i think WR and the secondary may turn out to be much less of an issue than we might have suspected.

OL though... if there's been a problem manifesting itself throughout training camp and preseason it's the OL. unless garry williams magically sprouts probowler wings it will remain the achilles heel of this entire football team. he has to realize that.

or we're all just stupid

If some viable gaurd options come available like Dwan did on D last year, I'm down.

Ron Rivera barely kept his job going into this season. barely.

Gettlemen would be a crappy GM if he suddenly started investing talent that suited a scheme/coach that has high odds of being gone.....that didn't also fit with what he build if that coach was gone.

Why he went DT...and doubled down. A front 4 is important to DG and would hire a coach that felt that way.

That isn't sabotage....probably being a good GM. Rivera either shows he stays or goes this year....then the GM knows if he is going to help RR or rebuild a new O and team for a new coach

Ron Rivera barely kept his job going into this season. barely.

Gettlemen would be a crappy GM if he suddenly started investing talent that suited a scheme/coach that has high odds of being gone.....that didn't also fit with what he build if that coach was gone.

Why he went DT...and doubled down. A front 4 is important to DG and would hire a coach that felt that way.

That isn't sabotage....probably being a good GM. Rivera either shows he stays or goes this year....then the GM knows if he is going to help RR or rebuild a new O and team for a new coach

Good post, but what do you think he would have done if Rivera was his guy this year?  Would he have drafted a wideout or already spent more money?

Good post, but what do you think he would have done if Rivera was his guy this year?  Would he have drafted a wideout or already spent more money?

good question, i wonder that myself.  problem is, DG did a good job getting this years cap number under control, but still could not make any long term investments due to future cap problems.  this team isn't in position for a one year fix, unfortunately.  i think we can compete this year, but are obviously not an elite squad.  i am just as interested in knowing if, DG would have kept Ron if he had a choice.

Archived