• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Big men allow you to compete,"--Dave Gettlemen

MHS831

3 Issues with trading for an offensive lineman:

1) I have heard nothing of any team or player that would be on trading block. That doesn't mean the options aren't out there. But before asking DG to trade something of value I'd like to know what the return at least could be.

2) The best time to make a trade will be between the 3rd and 4th preseason games. A quality starter that is still good but just so happened to get beat out by a young up and comer is the ideal situation. But teams aren't going to let go of a player until they are sure and no injuries have occurred.

3) And this is the most important point. Your assumption is that DG believes it is worth the risk to make a trade and that he sees Newton as his franshise QB. Neither may be case.

The fan in me agrees with you in that right now I'm still hopeful for this season and believe Newton is our guy. And maybe a trade may happen. But it's not like its as easy as just saying it. Other teams have to be willing as well.

#3 is important....and the fact he may not think investing in an offense that will be gutted under a likely new HC is worth it

3 Issues with trading for an offensive lineman:

1) I have heard nothing of any team or player that would be on trading block. That doesn't mean the options aren't out there. But before asking DG to trade something of value I'd like to know what the return at least could be.

2) The best time to make a trade will be between the 3rd and 4th preseason games. A quality starter that is still good but just so happened to get beat out by a young up and comer is the ideal situation. But teams aren't going to let go of a player until they are sure and no injuries have occurred.

3) And this is the most important point. Your assumption is that DG believes it is worth the risk to make a trade and that he sees Newton as his franshise QB. Neither may be case.

The fan in me agrees with you in that right now I'm still hopeful for this season and believe Newton is our guy. And maybe a trade may happen. But it's not like its as easy as just saying it. Other teams have to be willing as well.

Very good point about Newton, but you have to give him the tools to see exactly how good he can be. 

You invested a first overall pick in him and he has put up the best two years for any QB.   Most teams would prioritize protecting hin and give him a WR or two. 

However, this team has been saying they are running more to set up play action.  We are scaring nobody in the run game.  If we can't run or protect the passer, we wiill never know what we have at QB.  It is a different position when you can't get set and your timing is thrown off.

Very good point about Newton, but you have to give him the tools to see exactly how good he can be.

You invested a first overall pick in him and he has put up the best two years for any QB. Most teams would prioritize protecting hin and give him a WR or two.

However, this team has been saying they are running more to set up play action. We are scaring nobody in the run game. If we can't run or protect the passer, we wiill never know what we have at QB. It is a different position when you can't get set and your timing is thrown off.

Hurney invested....not DG. DG could think ideally a different type O should be paired with his D

We have been building Rome since 2008.  What is your point?  Wait til next year?

We are close THIS year.  A RT is about all we need  to compete if our D stays healthy.  One player--and we sit on $16 million in cap room.

And you want to wait until 2014.

Kinda hard to build when you have an incompetent GM (Hurney). I have full confidence in Getts. 

We are gonna compete regardless if we bring in any OL help thanks to a good defense. I mean unless Shula lays a complete EGG. He atleast has Chuds playbook so I am hoping for atleast average playcalling. 

I want us to use our left over money and sign OL after cuts are made. Temporary bandages until we can do more next offseason. 

Kinda hard to build when you have an incompetent GM (Hurney). I have full confidence in Getts. 

We are gonna compete regardless if we bring in any OL help thanks to a good defense. I mean unless Shula lays a complete EGG. He atleast has Chuds playbook so I am hoping for atleast average playcalling. 

I want us to use our left over money and sign OL after cuts are made. Temporary bandages until we can do more next offseason. 

I see your point. Agree about Hurney too.  I imagine John Fox thinks this is the most dysfunctional place on earth.

Archived